Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 1:11:11 PM EDT
ANARCHY, AGAIN. [Rod Dreher]
Heard just now from an old journalism school friend, now living in Atlanta, who sent the following desperate message by e-mail: I am hoping you can help. I am friends with a NOPD police officer Elizabeth Garcia. Things are MUCH MUCH worse in New Orleans. The inmates took over Central Lock up in New Orleans and took over the armory. They are targeting police and the police are under seige. She and 9 other police officers are running out of ammuntion and are being held down at the Hampton Inn across from the Convention Center. She just got her cell phone access and is calling everyone she knows to get out the information. They need assistance immediately. Please help in any way you can.

I called my friend just now to verify this. She said things have improved a bit since she sent the mail earlier this morning. She said that she got it to CNN, who relayed it to authorities. My friend, Lee, said that she spoke by phone to Officer Garcia (who can't call anybody locally, but who can call out of the 504 and 225 area codes), who said the criminal gangs have automatic weaponry because they looted the police armory. According to Lee, Ofc. Garcia told her that the police can't help people because "anybody in a uniform is being targeted" by these gangs. NOPD is receiving reports of children being raped and killed by these thugs, but they are outgunned and powerless. "It's complete and total anarchy," Lee quoted Ofc. Garcia as saying.

I ask you: WHERE IS THE ARMY? WHY ARE WE LEAVING THESE AMERICANS TO SUFFER AND POSSIBLY DIE? Honestly, folks, I cannot believe federal authorities are leaving these police officers and civilians to this. Is this America, or Somalia? The government has failed. Is failing. It is an outrage.
Posted at 02:41 PM
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet a 12 pack its semi autos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Give us an update, please. . .
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry folks, this was from NRO.  http://corner.nationalreview.com/

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
A thug and full-auto weaponry................ Now that would be a site to see......

"Why dis tang keep ris'n up when I hold down 'de trigga"
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
wouldn't a police armory be extremely locked up?  Like a big ol' gun safe?  The few PD's I have been allowed in even lock up their excess Shotties?  Wouldn't they pay special attention to their special weapons (FA)?

Didn't think one could simply knock down a few doors and walk out with a FA weapon.  Not calling BS, but just seems pretty unlikely

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Just another reason the police should NOT have automatic weapons...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The last time I was inside a police department (early 90's when I was knee-high to an elephant) they had their "armory" behind the counter and in plain sight. Shotguns and a couple AR-15's in a locking wooden case. All you had to do to get a gun was break a piece of wood two inches thick and half an inch wide, swing it upward on the hinge, grab the gun, and move on to the next one.

I'm pretty sure they're upgraded since then.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the location of the jail...?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wouldn't a police armory be extremely locked up?  Like a big ol' gun safe?  The few PD's I have been allowed in even lock up their excess Shotties?  Wouldn't they pay special attention to their special weapons (FA)?

Didn't think one could simply knock down a few doors and walk out with a FA weapon.  Not calling BS, but just seems pretty unlikely

EPOCH

With that much chaos?  You'd have unlimited time to crack the security - and no security is foolproof.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Short work with one of these:

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Heard just now from an old journalism school friend, now living in Atlanta, who sent the following desperate message by e-mail: I am hoping you can help. I am friends with a NOPD police officer Elizabeth Garcia. Things are MUCH MUCH worse in New Orleans. The inmates took over Central Lock up in New Orleans and took over the armory. They are targeting police and the police are under seige. She and 9 other police officers are running out of ammuntion and are being held down at the Hampton Inn across from the Convention Center. She just got her cell phone access and is calling everyone she knows to get out the information. They need assistance immediately. Please help in any way you can.

I called my friend just now to verify this. She said things have improved a bit since she sent the mail earlier this morning. She said that she got it to CNN, who relayed it to authorities. My friend, Lee, said that she spoke by phone to Officer Garcia (who can't call anybody locally, but who can call out of the 504 and 225 area codes), who said the criminal gangs have automatic weaponry because they looted the police armory. According to Lee, Ofc. Garcia told her that the police can't help people because "anybody in a uniform is being targeted" by these gangs. NOPD is receiving reports of children being raped and killed by these thugs, but they are outgunned and powerless. "It's complete and total anarchy," Lee quoted Ofc. Garcia as saying.

I ask you: WHERE IS THE ARMY? WHY ARE WE LEAVING THESE AMERICANS TO SUFFER AND POSSIBLY DIE? Honestly, folks, I cannot believe federal authorities are leaving these police officers and civilians to this. Is this America, or Somalia? The government has failed. Is failing. It is an outrage.

Shit happens.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
They better hope they have NVG's because tonight they are going to need it against America's finest.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
"Why dis tang keep ris'n up when I hold down 'de trigga"

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You know, I'm reluctant to cal BS, because the info has been so spotty, but this smells pretty funny.

However it was physically set up, there would CERTAINLY be cops WITH/IN/AROUND any armory, right?

I don't know, but it seems like, even in a deperate situation, I'd be hard pressed to surrendur a Class 3 armory to guys breaking out of the jail without one heck of a firefight.

Plus I doubt thugs would be squared away enough to grab enough ammo to "outgun" the popo for any length of time.

Something's not right about this story.      
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
A thug in NO with an automatic weapon would run out of ammo in the first 5 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe they purchased them legally.  After all, it's illegal to possess one without going through the paperwork.  h.gif
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
A thug in NO with an automatic weapon would run out of ammo in the first 5 seconds.

+1

Shooting the gun on its side, too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
What are you guys talking about?
Everyone knows that this story is bullshit.
Convicted criminals can't have guns.
It's against the law....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#19]
news said a fire at a mall was due to looters raiding and then burning a police sub station
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top