Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 8:20:41 AM EDT
Which response is correct? I've seen it both ways.......

When someone says "Thank You", do you say:

"Your Welcome"    (as in this is the welcome for you... it's YOUR welcome)

or

"You're Welcome"  (as in You Are Welcome )

I'm inclined to think that "You're Welcome" is correct but like I said I've seen it both ways.....

What says the collective?

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The second is correct. "Your welcome" would be something like "Howdy! Come on in!"

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
You're Welcome is correct.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
You are welcome.

You're welcome.

Or, you respond with...

"Yeah, you owe me now."

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Grammer Nazis - which way is correct?

Which response is correct? I've seen it both ways.......

When someone says "Thank You", do you say:

"Your Welcome"    (as in this is the welcome for you... it's YOUR welcome)

or

"You're Welcome"  (as in You Are Welcome )

I'm inclined to think that "You're Welcome" is correct but like I said I've seen it both ways.....

What says the collective?

Grammar is correct. You didn't think I was going to see that before you edited, did you?

The correct response is, "you're welcome."

As you know, "your" is the possessive form of "you". It makes absolutely no sense to say that meaning "it's your welcome." I can't even fathom that.

"You're" is a contraction of "you are." It makes loads more sense to say "you are welcome."
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The second is correct. "Your welcome" would be something like "Howdy! Come on in!"

You're welcome.

A well stated, complete answer.

And being someone who thinks grammar counts, I thank you for asking the question, 223-Buckaroo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You're welcome.

I disagree. "your welcome" would be the "welcome" of the person your addressing.  His welcome, my welcome, there welcome, your welcome.

Use german and just say 'bitte'.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
"Don't mention it."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top