Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 5:39:07 AM EDT
I am seriously considering buying a pair of sat phones for my wife and me.  In watching and reading all of the news coverage from NO it sounds like sat phones were the only working means of communication.  Similar thing happened after 9/11. I was in the New York City area and cell phones were down and land lines were overloaded.  

I travel for work (mostly by car) up and down the northeast corridor (Washington DC to Boston). One of my biggest fears is being away from my family when something happens and not being able to contact them.   I have looked into hams, but as with cell phones, you are dependent on a tower being in operation.  

Anyone have any experience with sat phones?  It looks like Iridium and Globalstar are the two big players in the US.  Any thoughts on either company or their service?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Cal,

you might find more info posting this over on the Survival board.  I am in the same boat, evaluating the Globalstar & Iridium.  It makes sense to have them, for hunting as well as Hurricane prep.

Looking fwd to more experience posted here on the sat phones....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Only $50/month at $.14/minute.

Shok
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Globalstar is an excellent network and I have NEVER HAD a single problem using the unit. The reception is 100% even in driving snow and 25mph gusts. You need to make sure that no matter what company you choose, please pick a DURABLE phone. My first phone was less than tough and got dropped- it broke and thank god I did not need it.

Make sure your unit has spare batteries available and also do not get the backlight units as they waste precious power. You will never be in a situation to enjoy Backlight.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Globalstar is an excellent network and I have NEVER HAD a single problem using the unit. The reception is 100% even in driving snow and 25mph gusts. You need to make sure that no matter what company you choose, please pick a DURABLE phone. My first phone was less than tough and got dropped- it broke and thank god I did not need it.

Make sure your unit has spare batteries available and also do not get the backlight units as they waste precious power. You will never be in a situation to enjoy Backlight.

Good luck.

How are you going to see the screen?  Can you turn off the backlight when you don't need it?  Does it realy eat that much power?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top