Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 2:56:30 AM EDT
This is a nice gesture and God bless them, but Detroit doesn't have any money for this. What are they going to do, put these poor people up at abandoned buildings? I see more looting and riots in Detroit in the near future.

God I hope this works out for the better, but from what I have read here, I don't have a good feeling about it.

www.clickondetroit.com/weather/4926968/detail.html

Mayor: Detroit Willing To Accept Evacuees
Local Hospitals Team Up For Hurricane Volunteer Effort

POSTED: 7:09 pm EDT September 1, 2005

DETROIT -- Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Thursday afternoon that the city would open its doors for victims of Hurricane Katrina, Local 4 reported.

Kilpatrick said he has been working with Alphonso Jackson, the secretary of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and other White House officials to find local housing for evacuees.

"We have told the federal government that we here in the city of Detroit are willing to step up and accept evacuees from both Louisiana and Mississippi," Kilpatrick said.

The Detroit Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau and local hotel owners have also been meeting with city officials and have determined that about 2,000 to 3,000 rooms would be available for hurricane victims, according to the mayor.

Kilpatrick said he also has the cooperation of Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano, Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson and Macomb County Board of Commissioners Chairwoman Nancy White.

Federal authorities are currently in talks with airline officials about moving evacuees out of southern areas and into other cities, Kilpatrick said.

"We've been in contact with several airlines to tell them that Detroit stands ready to accept families here in our city and in our metropolitan area," he said.

Large barrels in which people can place donations will be placed at select locations in downtown Detroit, including the Detroit International Jazz Festival and Ford Field.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:58:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be stocking up on ammo and water when I go shopping this weekend then.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Large barrels in which people can place donations will be placed at select locations in downtown Detroit

Wonder what kind of large barrels? Is it .44 magnum or .45 ACP?

That's probably where it will all lead if they take in some of these bad apples out of NO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This is a nice gesture and God bless them, but Detroit doesn't have any money for this. What are they going to do, put these poor people up at abandoned buildings?  I see more looting and riots in Detroit in the near future.

It's actually a fairly smart move if the folks still stuck in N.O. take it.

Detroit is about 80% African-American.  About 90 percent of those still stuck in the Big Easy are too.

Detroit is a city built for TWO million people with ONE million people living in it (With the abandoned neighborhoods to prove it).

Those displaced from their living situations in LA. (Wether they were living on the dole or not) are going to be on the recieving end of SOOO much taxpayer "Aid" ($$$) that they'de be a welcome addition I'm sure to the vibrant, bustling metropolis that is modern Detroit
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was a great idea to send the "Refugees" to Detroit. Long ass haul though. They've got empty motels, apartments, homes etc. Not an overnight solution but those folks can't stay at the 'Dome.

Get some services in place in Detroit, get folks pulled together in Houston and slowly start sending them north. Once NO is dry & secured, start sending them back in a controlled manner. Detroit has the abondoned infrastructure to handle a good part of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Kwame trying to play the race card to get reelected. Nothing more.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Ever since Detroit's population has dipped below the 1,000,000 mark they are not entitled to some federal funds.  This is why all the recent mayors (Young, Archer) have fought with the Census Bureau so hard.

Apparently, the only way to get more people into the over-taxed, crime-ridden city is to import them from disaster sites.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Money, folks...it's all about the money. Detroit's Mayor and the Governor of Michigan have struck on a brilliant plan: offer to take the refugees...point to the holes in population, then point to abandoned buildings and the city's DIRE need for rejuvination...Detroit gets money to bring about a renaissance, they get a new city and Detroit gets back up to par...It's freaken briliant. It won't be without its growing pains, but if the city gets some help with manpower as well...gotta say it again: brilliant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it is a great idea.  Keep all of the lowlifes in one place.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The rest of Michigan isn't that bad (except for Pontiac, Warren, Detroit and a few other places). But there are several states between LA and MI... they may just stay there instead.

How do you make the transition from a southern warm state to a cold northern state? expect -10F winters here... and look at today's date. Sept 2. That's about 2 months away from the start of winter. When January swings by... prepare to pay $$$$$$$$ for gas bills.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:53:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Just great.  Now all of the looters can stop along I-75 on the way to the promised land and pick up a few things.  LOCK AND LOAD OHIO!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#12]
They can come to Detroit, 1/2 of it looks like NO anyway. They will feel right at home.

If looters make it up here, they will have 3-4 hour response time to deal with on 911 calls.

If I may go out like Eric...

Ziti(lockingandloadinginlivonia)ForBreakfast
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Remember that Detroit is still fairly isolated from the burbs.  You really can't make Detroit much worse.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:02:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Remember that Detroit is still fairly isolated from the burbs.  You really can't make Detroit much worse.

Detroit is already infecting Redford, has infected Southfield, spread to Pontiac, over ran Inkster and is chipping away at Dearborn Heights. If a proposed Super Wal-Mart is built here in Livonia, it will spread here.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:06:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Money, folks...it's all about the money. Detroit's Mayor and the Governor of Michigan have struck on a brilliant plan: offer to take the refugees...point to the holes in population, then point to abandoned buildings and the city's DIRE need for rejuvination...Detroit gets money to bring about a renaissance, they get a new city and Detroit gets back up to par...It's freaken briliant. It won't be without its growing pains, but if the city gets some help with manpower as well...gotta say it again: brilliant.

I agree to a point, however the people they're getting may not be the net positives that they need to rebuild the city.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#16]
And Detroit just announced the layoff of 75 firemen and they are closing more firestations so the newcomers will have to put out fires themselves.

Maybe Detroit should do a homesteading operation. If you can live in an abandoned building for a year, you can keep it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Remember that Detroit is still fairly isolated from the burbs. You really can't make Detroit much worse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detroit is already infecting Redford, has infected Southfield, spread to Pontiac, over ran Inkster and is chipping away at Dearborn Heights. If a proposed Super Wal-Mart is built here in Livonia, it will spread here.

The point I was trying to make was that Armies of looters from Detroit would have a hard time fighting their way into the burbs.  As for the criminals that sally out of Detroit, we do what we can.  The best thing that can happen to Detroit would be a Nutron bomb.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Welcome NOLA refugees and democratic voters!

Welcome to Detroit, where deteriorationg neighborhoods, unemployement and welfare rule. You will feel at home here in no time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Correct, Detroit deserves them!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Those displaced from their living situations in LA. (Wether they were living on the dole or not) are going to be on the recieving end of SOOO much taxpayer "Aid" ($$$) that they'de be a welcome addition I'm sure to the vibrant, bustling metropolis that is modern Detroit

You hit the nail on the head.   Its the hotel and apartment companies who are going to HUD and offering to house these folks for garunteed HUD money.   I have a friend in MS who just got garunteed to fill all vacancies of his 3000 units with "refugees"

Low income folk are hard on properties' cash flow (repairs and maintenance cost go up), but so are vacancies and deliquent rents...

Most rental companies would rather have steady cash flow they can figure out the maitenance if they got the $$$$....

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree to a point, however the people they're getting may not be the net positives that they need to rebuild the city.

The Govt isn't gonna pay Detroit to take the cream of the societal crop...It WILL pay for refugees so there ya go...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1   EXACTLY.  Bring in a Billion Dollars of recovery aid to the victums - the victums will spend the money in Detroit.  Not to mention the populations of N/O and Detroit share the same culture so the transition will be easier on everyone.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Remember that Detroit is still fairly isolated from the burbs. You really can't make Detroit much worse.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point I was trying to make was that Armies of looters from Detroit would have a hard time fighting their way into the burbs.  As for the criminals that sally out of Detroit, we do what we can.  The best thing that can happen to Detroit would be a Nutron bomb.

Yes, I agree a Nuetron Bomb would be fitting. Then rebuild the Joe Lewis Arena in Novi and we can totally forget about ever having to go there again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The rest of Michigan isn't that bad (except for Pontiac, Warren, Detroit and a few other places). But there are several states between LA and MI... they may just stay there instead.

How do you make the transition from a southern warm state to a cold northern state? expect -10F winters here... and look at today's date. Sept 2. That's about 2 months away from the start of winter. When January swings by... prepare to pay $$$$$$$$ for gas bills.

How do people 'transition' from a warm state to a cold one???  Where do you think all the African Americans that call Detroit home (right after Africa) came from - the Southern Slave States.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#27]
great, all we need is more folks in this state. That means more downstate libs moving north to my area, and trying to make it just like downstate, every convience known to man and the drug/crime problems too. If this happens, I may have to bug out to the U.P. and deal with the cheese head invaders.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:56:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
great, all we need is more folks in this state. That means more downstate libs moving north to my area, and trying to make it just like downstate, every convience known to man and the drug/crime problems too. If this happens, I may have to bug out to the U.P. and deal with the cheese head invaders.

What is the U.P.?

We are turning to a blue state....Give it time. The unions are loosing ground, granholm has ran us into the deck....we will change.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Crap, then I heard the news last night correctly... what a pile.

The revolution will be televised. I just hope it doesn't happen 'til next summer. (planning on moving in the Spring   )
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:58:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Kwame trying to play the race card to get reelected. Nothing more.

My exact thoughts.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Send them to Detroit---no room at the inn here. We already have those who had the ability to evacuate. Don't need those who can't do anything for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:10:22 AM EDT
[#32]
great, all we need is more folks in this state. That means more downstate libs moving north to my area, and trying to make it just like downstate, every convience known to man and the drug/crime problems too. If this happens, I may have to bug out to the U.P. and deal with the cheese head invaders

The UP too is full of liberals and and welfare types.  There is no real economy to speak of and a TON of UAW retirees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#33]
i don't want those fucking slob ass idiots imported into my state.  Kwame Kilwhitey is just trying to get reelected by playing a few games.  he surely doesn't give a shit about anything else.  If you've ever been in Day-twa, it bears resemblance to the post-Katrina New Orleans.  Much of the city would not be a step up for these crackhead refugees.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is the U.P.?

We are turning to a blue state....Give it time. The unions are loosing ground, granholm has ran us into the deck....we will change.

Do you mean a red state?  The only problem that faces us is the 'vote early, vote often' crowd that inhabits the lovely metropoli of Detroit, Flint, and Sagnasty.  Oh, and 'Sausagetuck', too.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#35]
My bad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:05:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I was just in Detroit last night. Luckily, I didn't have to leave the airport.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Good thing, you'd probably have been robbed!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bah!  I wasn't a-sceered...  Besides they did a fine job of robbing for my money during my layover. Ever priced airport beer?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#39]
How about sending them to mexico, after all....we're getting hundreds of theirs daily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bah!  I wasn't a-sceered...  Besides they did a fine job of robbing for my money during my layover. Ever priced airport beer?

Yes, my wallet still hurts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Makes sense. These folks are not going back.

They will resettle in outer areas.

It will take YEARS to rebuild NO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#42]

On Fox, Granholm just said she'd take 10,000 into Michigan. I wonder if they are going to camp out at her house?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like MS-13 is going to get a whole lot more recruits.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Southfield going to hell.  You should take a trip to our new Meijer's on 12 and Telegraph.  It's very... well, its very much NOT like the Northville Meijer's/  Nothing but trash.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Snip

The best thing that can happen to Detroit would be a Nutron bomb.

Just what kind of blast radius are we talking about?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Sorry, I don't want them in my back yard.....

These were the ones dumb enough to preplan the ability to flee danger. This means that they lack the basic instict of Flight, and it should be Darwin's way to purge them from the rest of the Gene Pool.

Honestly, I think that if we are to be giving handouts that they should be working for them.  As in, Working to rebuild their homes rather than become professional Weather Victims.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Looks like MS-13 is going to get a whole lot more recruits.

You haven't looked too hard at all the pictures from New Orleans have you? Not many Hispanics coming out of there.

Why not just export them to Guam or Puerto Rico, or some other country we own but don't care about? Or maybe start a refugee exchange with Cuba and Haiti. Might give these people some perspective on their situation before they bitch too much more about the MREs they are getting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
How about sending them to mexico, after all....we're getting hundreds of theirs daily.

+1  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

FUCK NO! We have enough people trampling the desert on their way north without adding more. Anyone who has been to Mexico knows why it's better to leave ASAP.

Quoted:
Makes sense. These folks are not going back.

They will resettle in outer areas.

It will take YEARS to rebuild NO.

We shouldn't rebuild all of NO. Just enough houses to support the port and the fishing industry. If the people of NO want The Big Easy back, they should rebuild it themselves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top