Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:09:59 PM EDT
I had my phone unlocked by T-Mobile last year and my question is:  Does it stay unlocked now or, as I have read on another site, can T-Mobile relock it from their end?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It's unlocked for good.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I had read on another forum that someone switched carriers on a GSM phone and after the switch the phone got "locked" by the new carrier.  That's why I asked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate the whole locked phone system.  G*d damned crippleware.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I had read on another forum that someone switched carriers on a GSM phone and after the switch the phone got "locked" by the new carrier.  That's why I asked.

If the new carrier told the customer they needed to "update his software" and flashed the phone with a locked software package, that's very possible. Unless you let someone put hands on your phone and alter it, you're fine.

Quoted:

Locking the phone onto their network guarantees the carrier your business, allowing them to offer much lower, subsidized phone prices. You can buy a GSM handset unlocked anywhere on the web, but you're paying full retail.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Some carriers will not pgm a phone that is unlocked.. I am one of them.. Because I cant guarantee that your handset wont seek another stronger tower, causing you to roam.. And coming into my store complaining about your roaming charges on your bill.. And how you roamed inside the city...etc. etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top