Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 3:06:48 PM EDT
I know they are both on totally different levels, but to me this NO thing is getting to be much worse than 911. I mean 911 was horrific dont get me wrong. We all had to sit through watching our symbols crumble and people jumping to their death, and seeing good men die. But the terrorists failed in the fact that they tried to cripple our economy and failed.

The Hurricane has seemed to have done more than any terrorist could dream. An entire city is gone, our oil supply is interrupted, thus crippling our economy and everyone is feeling it and will from here on out. This has a much larger impact than we might think - winter is coming and people all over the united states will not be able to afford to heat their homes to stay warm. People wont be able to afford to drive to work. Trucking companies cannot afford to do business under these conditions and they are the ones who ferry most of the payloads. In turn the basic necessities of life will become more expensive plunging more people than ever before below the poverty level.

Just think all the terrorists needed to do was to place a few small charges on the levees to achieve the same result. While America was harassing old white ladies and chinese men as not to racially profile, the terrorists could have done what the hurricane has done pretty easily.

I'll bet you Al Quida is smiling today.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
9/11 was worse in my opinion. Katrina was a natural disaster, no amount of planning, preparing, or gunfire could have prevented it. 9/11 was a human savage, deliberate attack by monsters. It could have been worse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
911 - No comparison.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe NO will have more impact on the USA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Worse in what way?  Worse in the scope of devestation and consequence management - Katrina.  Worse in terms of long-term impact on American society - remains to be seen, but probably 9-11.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Katerina is  worse in the fact that the New Yorkers (bastards that they typically are) behaved very well towards each other after 9/11.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Katrina is worse be cause this will personally affect me as prices of everything will rise. I am sure that most products in the USA will rise accordingly. The WTC/Pentagon attack hurt me only psychologically.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Katerina is  worse in the fact that the New Yorkers (bastards that they typically are) behaved very well towards each other after 9/11.

Yeah, but the destruction was contained to a pretty small area in NYC and there was an enemy to focus on.  Not excusing any of the BS going on down south, but the scope of destruction is orders of magnitude greater along the Gulf coast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Katrina was worst because it has brought out the worst in people.

Even as bad as 9/11 was, the way people reacted was uplifting.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]
9-11 was worse, IMO
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I know they are both on totally different levels, but to me this NO thing is getting to be much worse than 911. I mean 911 was horrific dont get me wrong. We all had to sit through watching our symbols crumble and people jumping to their death, and seeing good men die. But the terrorists failed in the fact that they tried to cripple our economy and failed.

The Hurricane has seemed to have done more than any terrorist could dream. An entire city is gone, our oil supply is interrupted, thus crippling our economy and everyone is feeling it and will from here on out. This has a much larger impact than we might think - winter is coming and people all over the united states will not be able to afford to heat their homes to stay warm. People wont be able to afford to drive to work. Trucking companies cannot afford to do business under these conditions and they are the ones who ferry most of the payloads. In turn the basic necessities of life will become more expensive plunging more people than ever before below the poverty level.

Just think all the terrorists needed to do was to place a few small charges on the levees to achieve the same result. While America was harassing old white ladies and chinese men as not to racially profile, the terrorists could have done what the hurricane has done pretty easily.

I'll bet you Al Quida is smiling today.

The shit is going down just like that much lambasted movie "Oil Storm" on FX a few months ago.  Scary.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
9/11 by far.  We didn't know if there were going to be more attacks, people were stranded all over the place and the airline industry was shut down.  A two dozen people took out a city block and 3,000 lives the wounds have not healed and I am still pissed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I never saw that movie.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Dont let the media spin ya into a hype man.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Part of what made 911 so bad was it was caught live on tv, on a beautiful day, for the whole world to see. We saw mass carnage in real time. With Katrina, we know a lot of ppl. died, but we are seeing the results, not when it happened.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#15]
911 Human beings (<-allegedly) killed 3000 others on purpose

NOLA Mother Nature recaliming it's Delta.

911 worse it how it makes me feel in the pit of my stomach
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#16]
The end result of Katrina and the City of New Orleans will be more lasting and painful, I suspect.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#17]
no shit people.....

get off the stinkin thinkin
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The shit is going down just like that much lambasted movie "Oil Storm" on FX a few months ago.  Scary.

Strange coincidence indeed.  So far, it is unfolding according to storyline.  Surely to goodness things won't get that bad though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Strange coincidence indeed.  So far, it is unfolding according to storyline.  Surely to goodness things won't get that bad though.

So what was the synopsis of Oil Storm? Does the a city get destroyed and then the end of the world happens? or what?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what was the synopsis of Oil Storm? Does the a city get destroyed and then the end of the world happens? or what?

A major hurricane hits New Orleans, and disrupts the oil supply.  Gas hits 6 dollars or more a gallon.   President releases the Strategic Oil Reserve, but we have no way to refine it (because of diminshed refining capacity as the New Orleans refineries are offline).  We try to buy oil from other countries, but it is very slow in coming.  Federal Agencies drop the ball.  The economy takes a major downturn because it causes the prices of all goods to go up.  Efforts to find alternative means of getting oil fail.  We enter a 2nd major depression.  Violence fills the streets across america.  Farmers revolt because food shipments stop becaues of high gas prices.  Martial Law is imposed. Terrorists threaten to blow up refineries in Saudi Arabia to drive the final nail in the coffin.  We send troops to Saudi Arabia to protect the main refinery.  Terrorists blow it up.

The part in red has already happenned, and the rest appears highly probable.

Here is a link to info about the movie

www.imdb.com/title/tt0461695/#comment
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
9/11 was worse in my opinion. Katrina was a natural disaster, no amount of planning, preparing, or gunfire could have prevented it. 9/11 was a human savage, deliberate attack by monsters. It could have been worse.

+1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#22]
How long before Al Quaida or Hammas calls to take responsibility for Katrina?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:16:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Katrina will have a more far reaching impact.  The Gulf Coast suffered widespread devastation that will take a long time to recover, as it was largely a tourist destination.  Kinda hard to draw tourists when the hotels are immersed or destroyed...  A hurricane like Katrins will make the city look like it was nuked.  Add the post-hurricane flooding and there won't be much recoverable.  The hurricane took out all of the infrastructure and permitted mob rule to take over.  The damage to the oil infrastructure will have more long term effect on the economy unless a drastic change in energy policy is effected (drilling & refinery construction).

9/11 damaged a small portion of a major city.  The rest of the city (and country) was able to respond and restore civilization.  It had a strong visceral impact because it was so sudden and visible to all.  9/11 showed we were vulnerable to terrrists.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How long before Al Quaida or Hammas calls to take responsibility for Katrina?

I don't know, but Alex Jones said that the Russians were responsible for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top