Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 8:20:52 AM EDT
So what is it when you are deeply in love with a woman and the relationship is falling apart and this numb but painful feeling encases your whole chest and feels like your chest can’t decide rather it wants to explode or implode?

What physically is happening?  Its one of those things you hear people say...like butterflies in your stomach or a lump in your throat.  Most people know what you’re talking about, but what is the physical thing happening?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:23:43 AM EDT
[#1]
It's all mental

Keeping yourself busy is the key. Get up get out do something.. Start a home or yard project or go help a friend
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The pain you feel is coming from your balls which are waiting to be reattached.  Usually the best remedy for it is to go find someone hotter and knock a chunk off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's your head coming out of your ass.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's your head coming out of your ass.

That is truly painful
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#5]
 Wow!!!  I have never even thought of that.  EXCELLENT QUESTION.  I wish I had an answer...............it is a horrible feeling.....it is the worst feeling.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
After seeing your posts over  the past few days, you need to seek some help. Call a crisis hotline and talk to someone.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to wonder if the "its all mental" crowd has ever experienced a truely broken heart.

BTDT, and yes, it can have physical effects as well.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:39:07 AM EDT
[#8]
As I recall, PWS (Pie Withdrawal Syndrome)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Hang in there.  Take an asprin.  Make a list of things that you need to do. Do them.  Mark them off as you do them.  Continue on.

I hope you feel better soon.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have to wonder if the "its all mental" crowd has ever experienced a truely broken heart.

BTDT, and yes, it can have physical effects as well.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
link  

May 25, 2005
News this month
Broken heart syndrome mimics heart attacks

Researchers at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore have found that emotional trauma can result in the release of hormones that can “stun” the heart, mimicking the symptoms of a heart attack. Stress cardiomyopathy or “broken heart” syndrome, long a subject of folklore, has been observed primarily among women who have undergone extreme stress such as the death of a loved one or a car accident.

Emotional trauma can result in the release of hormones that can “stun” the heart, mimicking the symptoms of a heart attack.
Individuals who experience this syndrome have chest pain, shortness of breath, fluid in the lungs and heart failure. The heart's ability to pump is severely impaired, but the heart tissue itself is not damaged as in a heart attack. “The tissue is alive,” says Dr. Hunter Champion who co-authored the study published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Study reveals unique patterns, but no disease
Champion and fellow Hopkins cardiologist Ilan Wittstein had observed that a small number of heart attack patients, usually postmenopausal women, had unique electrocardiograms and ultrasound patterns and no evidence of coronary artery disease. They recovered quickly from their attacks, which had been preceded by intense emotional events.

Between 1999 and 2003, the researchers studied 19 patients who had what appeared to be traditional heart attacks after experiencing sudden emotional stress, including news of a death, a surprise party, presence at an armed robbery and a car accident. Most of the patients were in their 60s and 70s although one was 27. All but one were female.

All of the subjects were evaluated with electrocardiography, cardiac enzyme assessment, echocardiography and coronary angiography. Five patients underwent a biopsy and another five had MRIs to determine if there had been damage to the heart muscle.

Stress hormones were two to three times greater than those in classic heart attack patients and between 7 and 34 times greater than in healthy people.

Similarities to classic attack not complete
Although the symptoms were similar to a classic heart attack, the similarities ended there. Stress hormone levels were measured shortly after admission and compared with readings taken at day 3, 5, 7 and 9 after the event. The initial levels of these stress hormones, called catecholamines, were two to three times greater than those in classic heart attack patients and between 7 and 34 times greater than in healthy people.

Also, unlike heart attack sufferers there was no evidence of blockages in the arteries supplying blood to the heart. Blood tests showed only mild elevation of muscle proteins typically released after a heart attack. MRI imaging showed none of the emotionally stressed patients suffered any permanent damage to their hearts. There were also very rapid improvements in the pumping ability of their hearts within a few days, and they were completely recovered within two weeks, compared to heart attack victims whose recovery normally takes months.

“Broken hearts” require treatment
It is important, the doctors stress, to treat the symptoms of broken heart syndrome. Three of the 19 patients temporarily required a special balloon in the aorta to help the heart pump better. Broken heart syndrome usually requires only short-term treatment because the heart normally recovers by itself.

Second study confirms the effect of stress hormones
Stress cardiomyopathy has been known for several years in Japan, but it has gone relatively unrecognized in the West, according to Dr. Barry Maron, a cardiologist at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation. Maron described 22 similar cases in Circulation.

“Our hypothesis is that massive amounts of these stress hormones can go right to the heart and produce a stunning of the heart muscle that causes this temporary dysfunction resembling a heart attack,” Wittstein said. “It doesn't kill the heart muscle like a typical heart attack, but it renders it helpless.” It is important to support the heart during this vulnerable period otherwise patients may die.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Dang GhostRing!  Thanks for the artical.  Thats some weird scary stuff.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#13]
See the Simpson's episode where Sarah Gilbert rips Bart's heart out of his chest and throws it against the wall and it slides slowly down into the trash can.

Yeah. That's about it.

The only thing worse would be if she took a bite of it while it still beats. Not sure if they DON'T do that anyway.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Seriously pal, after seeing some of your posts lately, I'm beginning to wonder.  I think you really might need to talk to somebody you know and trust about whatever is going on in your life.  Us couch commandos can only do so much.  I don't know your religious beliefs or anything, but speaking to a minister or spiritual advisor (not Miss Cleo!) could help you out.  It did for an LEO friend of mine who witnessed some traumatic events.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks for that article..
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:02:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Seriously pal, after seeing some of your posts lately, I'm beginning to wonder.  I think you really might need to talk to somebody you know and trust about whatever is going on in your life.  Us couch commandos can only do so much.  I don't know your religious beliefs or anything, but speaking to a minister or spiritual advisor (not Miss Cleo!) could help you out.  It did for an LEO friend of mine who witnessed some traumatic events.  MJD

Was worried about that.  Expecially hen the suicide post came back up to the top.  I am a devout Christian.  I am seeking he Lords help with this and have tons of friends and family supporting me too.  I know God is with me....expecially with rough times like this.

Does not mean though that I don't hurt and am not the most positive ssounding guy as of late.

Thanks though for you all's concern.

I'll be okay.  Just need to vent and know there are others who have felt the same.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was worried about that.  Expecially hen the suicide post came back up to the top.  I am a devout Christian.  I am seeking he Lords help with this and have tons of friends and family supporting me too.  I know God is with me....expecially with rough times like this.

Does not mean though that I don't hurt and am not the most positive ssounding guy as of late.

Thanks though for you all's concern.

I'll be okay.  Just need to vent and know there are others who have felt the same.

Alright, just making sure.  Seems like you're going to the right places right now.  The VA crew is here to help you.  I've been where you are to some extent.  I've had people I cared about deeply stab me in the back before.  It takes time and as much as I hate to say it, you'll probably never forget.  It's been 2+ years since I got screwed over and I've moved on, but I haven't forgotten.  Never will.  Take it easy.  IM for more info if you want it.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top