Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 7:45:29 AM EDT
Ok.....

Obvious reasons have me looking into heating alternatives.  I have a direct vent furnace that exits the wall of my house.  I also have a propane fireplace that exits via a direct vent through a different wall of my house.

So...

if I am to install a wood stove, I need to construct a chimney.  code enforcement aside (I'll handle that aspect on my own) what options do I have?  Can I simply direct (open) vent that to the side of the house or do I really need a chimney to exit near the roof (2nd story).  If so then it's a completely different monster as I'd have to rip into the siding and go through a major effort.

Just wondering what set ups you guys have for wood stoves.  I want mine to be in the basement and exit through the top, or near the top, of my foundation.

Any ideas from the hive mind?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are buying locally, your dealer may have some initial insight. Building inspector can give you your code. I've never vented anything from basement thru two stories above. If you can draw air from combustion from outside, that's a plus. Otherwise you might have problems with draw. Do you have  exterior access for fuel, or will you bring it thru the house (PITA-messy)?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Might ask John here

He did well with my mother's questions.

Here's more and even some guides.
here
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Good GOD man, a Wooden stove chimney is a hell of a fire hazard, you might want to use steel!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info,

A more direct question would be...

Can I somehow direct vent a wood stove?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#6]
You will get the best "draw" if the chimney pipe is straight up, or real close to it.  As above, "black" pipe to celling, insulating coller, insulated 3' pipe sections, up through upper stories & roof. need to extend 2.5-3' (or so) above peak of roof.  Make sure all clearances around stove & pipe are per code or greater.   A reputable stove should come with clear directions.  Mine has a window in the door, kicks out the heat, love it!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I think I've come to a conclusion.  I have an unfinished bonus room over my garage (4 bedroom cape w/ attached garage).  I think what I'll do is build a vertical chimney and exit the exhaust through the roof. That way I can put a wood stove in the bonus room, and rest assured that I'll always have a cheap and easy way to keep my family warm should the oil prices go beyond the 'stupid' catagory.

Thanks for the tips everyone.   I think I found my answer.  Joyce, the inspiration came from a site I found on the google link
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
hey guy i sell and install and service fireplaces... and  have for 28 years for gods sake yes you need to have a class a chimney on a  wood stove it has to be 24" out of the roof or eve and needs to  have 10 foot clearance to anything   trees walls pitch of roof ect for it to draft  if you want such a critter let me know i can get it for you shiped to your door cheeper than your local store  ...i dont mark up for arfcomers
by the way good to see the little one won the contest if you have ? drop me an im
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
hey guy i sell and install and service fireplaces... and  have for 28 years for gods sake yes you need to have a class a chimney on a  wood stove it has to be 24" out of the roof or eve and needs to  have 10 foot clearance to anything   trees walls pitch of roof ect for it to draft  if you want such a critter let me know i can get it for you shiped to your door cheeper than your local store  ...i dont mark up for arfcomers
by the way good to see the little one won the contest if you have ? drop me an im

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top