Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 5:32:10 AM EDT
I think have "enough" rifles to cover most situations, Savage .308, Ruger .22, SKS, 1.5 AR's and an assortment of handguns to boot.  But my buddy keeps telling me I need a shotgun to cover the spectrum of possible scenarios.  I would love to pick up a shotgun but I don't quite have the $$$ to get one.  

Do I really need a shotgun?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing as enough rifles, enough handguns, enough shotguns, or enough class III goodies.

So yes, get shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]
yes
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at it this way, a shotgun is one of the most versatile weapons in the USA and the ammo is one of the most plentiful.  It has a whole lot of pluses and you could get one used pretty cheap.  So the answer is YES!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes!

Get 2!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
get yous a scattergun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes!

Get 2!

TWO????  If I got 2 I would be sleeping on the couch and using hand lotion for a while...
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
YES
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course you do. A new gun is always "needed" (or so I tell my wife!)

Seriously, my first gun was an 870 marine magnum which I still have. I rarely shoot it, dont keep much ammo for it, but I would never part with it. It has arole it "could" play in a SHTF scenario but I would probably have a rifle instead. However the psychological effect of pumping a 12gauge is intimidating to anyone (i keep one in the chamber so thats no good to me)
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Absolutely NOT!  Shotguns have very limited applications, limited fire power, Ammo is big and bulky, and the few loads that are marginally effective have punishing recoil.

I don't even shoot my shotty anymore.  I'd just get rid of it if it weren't an NFA weapon.

It's amazing how many Imbeciles here who own ARs still are under the rediculous delusion that a Shotgun is the good choice for Home Defense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes!

Get 2!

TWO????  If I got 2 I would be sleeping on the couch and using hand lotion for a while...

Ok get one but two barrels, one for 00 buck and another one with a slug bbl.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#13]
If you think you might need to forage or hunt for food yes.  Otherwise it sounds like you have it covered.

Shotguns are great, I have a bunch, but they are overated for defense weapons for all except well trained operators.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You hunt or ever plan on hunting yes by all means.  You would be foolish not to.  I never saw anyone hunt dove with an AR or a .22lr.  It is the small game king.

If defense is your only goal, looks like to me you have that pretty well covered.

Tj

I don't really plan on hunting unless it is absolutely necessary i.e SHTF
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:02:33 AM EDT
[#15]
every gun owner should own a shotgun.  

the BEST for home defense.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Absolutely NOT!  Shotguns have very limited applications, limited fire power, Ammo is big and bulky, and the few loads that are marginally effective have punishing recoil.

I don't even shoot my shotty anymore.  I'd just get rid of it if it weren't an NFA weapon.

It's amazing how many Imbeciles here who own ARs still are under the rediculous delusion that a Shotgun is the good choice for Home Defense.

My shotgun has fired everytime I pulled the trigger...My AR hiccups when I get near a box of Wolf...or that time when my plastic mags cracked and it kept doublefeeding...or when I first got it and didn't have enough lube in it.  After I learned the gun its been fine but no "learning" needed with a shotgun.

A fully fuctioning AR is great but if you can't handle most situations with 'marginally effective"
00 buck and slugs then an AR won't help much either.  Hell I might even grab my AK before my AR
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Man you just stepped in it!  There are so many stupid statements in your post I dont know where to begin.

1. Shotguns have very limited applications? You must be joking, the shottie has a multitude of applications.  How about for hunting small and large game at various ranges.  How about CQB in close in areas LIKE YOUR HOUSE  nothing beats a blast of 00 from point blank range to calm a situation down.  The shottie was so effective in CQB during WWI that the Germans complanied to the Hague convention that it was inhumane and barbaric!

2. Ammo is big and bulky and has punishing recoil.  Big and bulky..WTF? what kind of asine answer is that and it is only has punishing recoil to nancy girls like yourself.

3.  Its only "Imbeciles" like you who would make such a multitude of stupid comments and then call others Imbeciles!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man you just stepped in it!  There are so many stupid statements in your post I dont know where to begin.

1. Shotguns have very limited applications? You must be joking, the shottie has a multitude of applications.  How about for hunting small and large game at various ranges.  How about CQB in close in areas LIKE YOUR HOUSE  nothing beats a blast of 00 from point blank range to calm a situation down.  The shottie was so effective in CQB during WWI that the Germans complanied to the Hague convention that it was inhumane and barbaric!

2. Ammo is big and bulky and has punishing recoil.  Big and bulky..WTF? what kind of asine answer is that and it is only has punishing recoil to nancy girls like yourself.

3.  Its only "Imbeciles" like you who would make such a multitude of stupid comments and then call others Imbeciles!  

As much as I hate to do it +1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#20]
That's like asking if you really need a cock.

The answer is "No you don't need one, but you can't be a man without one."

Do it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#21]
get a shotgun cuz you don't have one, fuck defense and hunting!

tell the wifey it's for her, that it's a great HOME defense weapon and that you want to PROTECT her and the KIDS and all the EXPERTS say the shotgun is the best home defense weapon (with the exception of noted weapons expert, markm). make sure you hit all the female hot buttons there...

get a mossy. a used mossy 500 will cost anywhere from $100-200.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:17:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you have a TV? In a situation like in NO it's the perfect weapon.
Big, scary, loud, powerful and when the looter's body floats away there is nothing inside him that can be traced back to you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, you definitely need a shotgun. More specifically, you need a Remington 870. Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#24]
What's the deal with the 1.5 AR's? 1.5 I guess means you have one and have another half finished?

Sell the .5 and use the funds to get a shotgun!

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Do it.

Now that my manhood has been challenged I guess I'll have to get one
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it.

Now that my manhood has been challenged I guess I'll have to get one

hahahahahaha
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shocking someone from Kentucky would defend the Shotgun for Home Defense.  Find me ONE credentialed firearm instructor who advocates shotty as a home defense weapon over the 5.56 and I'll buy you a box of 00 buck!

Why doesn't the military dump the M-16 and issue shotties to all the troops in Iraq?  There's a lot of close range urban engagements right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My shotgun has fired everytime I pulled the trigger...My AR hiccups when I get near a box of Wolf...or that time when my plastic mags cracked and it kept doublefeeding...or when I first got it and didn't have enough lube in it.  After I learned the gun its been fine but no "learning" needed with a shotgun.

Gee!  My AR stops on Wolf and when I use plactic (Huh?) mags!  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee!  My AR stops on Wolf and when I use plactic (Huh?) mags!  

Actually I have a few steel 20 rounders that I had to throw out as well...point is I want to hear a bang when I squeeze (not a click) I'm not saying my AR is not reliable now..I'm just saying my shotgun has a better track record.And if you think buckshot is only "marginally effective" at close range then I'm not going to discuss it with you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#30]
For $200 bucks or less how can you go wrong?  Shotguns need to fit you well, so go and "try them on" when you are shopping for one.  A good 12 gauge is downright useful, and can be used to teach you things that will help all of your shooting skills.

Shooting skeet, for instance, taught me about leading targets and helped me program my internal "aiming" computer.  I don't know of a better way of practicing shooting moving targets than using a shotgun.

Plus, it is fun.  Fun is still worth something, isn't it?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top