Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 8:07:46 PM EDT
I have wanted an M1 carbine for some time now. (I think it has come from watching too much SPR and Band of Brothers.)

I saw this one on gunbroker.com, it was a Universal M1000 Military M1 carbine, .30cal for about $230, I figure I could swing that.  Would this be a good buy?  I don't know that much about them.  Any info would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:12:22 PM EDT
[#1]
stay away

look for USGI or the IMI guns
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
stay away

look for USGI or the IMI guns

+1
Universal carbines aren't worth a shit; I have never seen one that would fire more than 3 rounds without a failure of some kind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Contrary to the name there is no such thing as a Universal Military M1 carbine, Universal is a sub standard commercial copy.

$230 is a decent price on a Universal but IMO I would save up and get a USGI M1, a good one may cost you twice that much plus but is worth it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Universals are not USGI, and not made to GI spec. so if anything breaks you might have a real hard time finding parts.

Plainfield carbines are / were made to GI spec. The very early ones used surplus GI receivers and other parts. Generally reliable. Can be found for less than $400.

Best though would be a genuine USGI M1 Carbine. Great guns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
USGI M1 carbine is definetely worth it.

My dad bought a used Inland couple years ago and had nothing but pleasure shooting that carbine. No jams nothing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top