Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:00:02 PM EDT
Ok, we all know taking clothes and TV's aint gonna keep you alive.
But what if someone is looting essential items, such as breaking into a store to steal water or food?
Would you be more forgiving of people who loot essential items over obvious attempts to get ahead such as looting electronics?
Or is looting looting, shoot the looters?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would look the other way with essentials, especially those that can't be sold anyways and would be carted off to the dump.  However, I don't think people should be taking all they can carry... take what you need,  no more.

Keep track so you can offer to reimburse the store owner.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok, we all know taking clothes and TV's aint gonna keep you alive.
But what if someone is looting essential items, such as breaking into a store to steal water or food?
Would you be more forgiving of people who loot essential items over obvious attempts to get ahead such as looting electronics?
Or is looting looting, shoot the looters?

There is looting and there is survival. Thats what makes the difference in my mind anyways. If it is needed for survival, get some. Leave the tvs and bling bling alone. Food, water, clothing,camp supplies, medical items,etc. is ok in that situation. I would do it if need be. Of course I would walk right by the jewelry and go to the food and water.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I have at least two weeks of food and beverages in my pantry...at least. I understand if someone really needs food and water and there is no other choice, but why didn't they prepare? Are they too good to go to the dollar store and buy sardines and crackers and gatorade as a back up??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Tough call when you're talking 3 days into a no fresh water situation, kids involved, etc.

My problem is that I'd have taken care of my own, what if the crowd wanted MY stuff, you know, just the essentials.

Stealing is stealing.  Am I saying I'd walk my thirsty 3 year old on down the road when there's a Wallymart opened like a can of sardines?  No.

But that doesn't mean I have to like it.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Would I loot if my survival or that of my family's depended upon it?  Damn skippy.

However, I'd probably have done my damndest the days before to avoid that situation.  Its not the looting out of necessity that is really wrong, its the sheer number of idiots who completely failed to heed any warning, whether out of ignorance or purposely.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I think this subject has come up several times already in the 300 looter threads that we already have.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I think this subject has come up several times already in the 300 looter threads that we already have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top