Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 12:03:26 PM EDT
Does being in a declared state of emergency provide residents with any special  protection under the law?  People talk as if there were.  

I know in some states, laws exists that allow people to protect the content of their homes with lethal force (I think Texas is one) and others expand that to include your car (i think FL is now one), but in GA  one has to be in fear of ones one life or grave injury or the life/injury of another. What other states allow one to use lethal force to protect property?

I'm thinking that if there are no laws that kick in when there is a declared state of emergency and your state doesn't offer legal protections for  the use lethal force to defend property, than shooting a looter just makes you guilty of a criminal act.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
In NC, there must be a threat to bodily harm (no other option).  I would just direct them to my generous set of German steak knives.  As soon as the hand touchs the WEAPON, shoot!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
What law?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What law?

EXACTLY.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
In many states entering a private residence and stealing is a felony charge.  I may use force up to deadly force to prevent the completion of that felony.  That does not cease to be the case in a declared disaster.   Really just being there and being well armed in full view tells people to move on.  I think that's what people are really doing.

point number two is that how many man hours will be expended to investigate the death of a person who has entered private property in a disaster area and been shot by the owner? Some of it just comes from the fact the police can't be everywhere.  Would I just walk the streets looking for a looter...... Fuck no!

Would I be shooting anyone breaking in to my home, much as any other time?  Hell yes.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What law?

EXACTLY.

Anyone within sight that would look like a threat should be taken out if you were defending your property.  By the time they recovered the body I don't think the coroner would waste any time or the police would investigate it.  Chaulk up 1 dead looter and blame the death on drowning.  I'm sure coverups of those levels happen quite often.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
under the circumstances, it's gonna be very, very hard to find witnesses, bystanders, and casual observers who give a hoot about the legality of shooting someone who is carting off someone else's stuff.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#7]
S,S,S
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
S,S,S

+1, besides, who the hell is ever going to find out ?  They'll just assume the person died in the hurricane or something.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
S,S,S

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
S,S,S

+1, besides, who the hell is ever going to find out ?  They'll just assume the person died in the hurricane or something.  

It always sucks when my reloading components hit a innocent bystander durring a hurricane
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Helps to have a supressor so there isn't much noise.  Then it is easier to S,S,S.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
S,S,S

Shoot, Send down river, Shut up  

One must learn to adapt
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:28:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You "evil whaight men" jest kaint go round shootin duh bruthas hoo onless
want to hab a kuple of da naice things you whaight Pe Po be habbin wen we kum round ta take wat we be wantin.... dat you stole furm us anydamway by 'pressin us.  

Webe freedum faighters........
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
In many states entering a private residence and stealing is a felony charge.  I may use force up to deadly force to prevent the completion of that felony.  That does not cease to be the case in a declared disaster.   Really just being there and being well armed in full view tells people to move on.  I think that's what people are really doing.

point number two is that how many man hours will be expended to investigate the death of a person who has entered private property in a disaster area and been shot by the owner? Some of it just comes from the fact the police can't be everywhere.  Would I just walk the streets looking for a looter...... Fuck no!

Would I be shooting anyone breaking in to my home, much as any other time?  Hell yes.  

Do you have a resource for which states allow allow one to shoot someone to prevent a felony?  Or do you know which states off the top of your head?

I'm pretty sure GA is NOT one of those staes (wish I were wrong about tho).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What law?

EXACTLY.

I understand the whole a-man's-got-to-do-what-a-man's-got-to-do thing. ;-)

But the law still exists even in NOLA.  I just want to know what laws offer protection, if any?

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
In that case, instead of the hot firearms you have been practicing with all these years, perhaps an old disposable clunker (working, of course) would be more appropriate. Hate to dispose of a Kimber!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
S,S,S

Shoot, Send down river, Shut up  

One must learn to adapt

I totally understand what you're saying, but I'm asking a different type of question.  Knowledge is power.  especially when backed up with my olyarms ar15.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
S,S,S

more like "S, LAGETB, S"

LAGETB = Let A Gator Eat The Body
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#19]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=384616
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top