Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 1:12:47 PM EDT
This toll free number keeps dialing my 12 year olds cell phone and i cant seem to make them understand not to call it back. The companys name is Nationwide the woman I talked to said it was not the insurance company but when I asked what company she said my problem would be taken care of and did not reveal what the business was. So here is the number that keeps running up the minutes on a childs phone.

800-697-2780
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#1]
all they would say is that they are called nationwide
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't answer the phone?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
all they would say is that they are called nationwide

The first time I spoke with them they said they were looking for a T. Pierce and i told them they have the wrong number. They then would not give out too much info. They have called this number numerous times in the past and I just had the last straw today.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't answer the phone?

This has been ongoing for months now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a debt collector.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Change your phone number!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Good luck.  I've been in my house (with the same number) for 4 years this month and still get calls for the person who last had that number (the most recent was last week).  Occasionally it's distant family, old friends, etc, but usually it's some creditor or another.

Saddest thing is we know the old guy who had the number before we did.  Local guy, jackleg tax preparer and used car dealer - no telling who/how much he owes...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
call your cell company, and tell them u want that number blocked
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#10]
A google search on this number returns "video phone directory".

Need a fire mission?

I wonder if they are hijacking the phone when this number is answered.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:13:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the exact same things happen to my daughters phone. I called back and explained that the phone was new and we have no clue who had the number before. I then asked for their mailing address so I could send a bill for airtime charges from the calls they made to the phone. They actully called one more time and I happened to be sitting right there and got to talk to them again. The guy apologized and explained he missed the note on the account not to call this number anymore. I havent heard anything for a few months now. Good Luck!

Just make sure your daughter knows how important it is not to give aout any info, at all!
CH
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
0872-796-008

DAMN!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
your 12 year old has a cell phone?
I don't have a cell phone.

+1 that's what I was saying to myself.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It's a debt collector.

It's got to be.  

If you are calling to make a payment arrangement, press 1
If you are calling reguarding a letter you recieved, press 2
If you are calling reguarding an issue with your account, press 4
For all other inquiries, press 4 or hold the line

My guess would be www.nationwidedebtrecovery.com
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

err....
Both my 12 and 13 year olds have them. As much as people think that is two much, I can pick up the phone and reach them when they are not home. I gladly pay the price for that little bit of extra peace of mind!

CH

eta: sorry for the minor hijack
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

err....
Both my 12 and 13 year olds have them. As much as people think that is two much, I can pick up the phone and reach them when they are not home. I gladly pay the price for that little bit of extra peace of mind!

CH

Have you considered microchip implants?

They'd be cheaper in the long run. You can get them now with GPS tracking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#18]
800-697-2780 video phone directory.  I think they're telemarketers selling video phones to cell phone subscribers.

You can reverse look-up numbers by just pasting the number into Google.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

err....

CH

Oh please...if his kid needs to use a phone in an emergency, they have one.  You know kids have been kidnapped and saved because they had a phone.  Move along George.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

err....

CH

Oh please...if his kid needs to use a phone in an emergency, they have one.  You know kids have been kidnapped and saved because they had a phone.  Move along George.

Really?  Can you point me to a link?  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
dammit
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey why dont yall(negative contributers) go bump dicks somewhere else. It's a tracfone that gets minutes on it from work she does at home, if your jealous get a second job.

Any way remarkably they called back and i answered they now claim "this number will be removed from their database" so i will call them back about 3 times a week until i'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
try the reverse phone directory
www.reversephonedirectory.com/

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  Can you point me to a link?  

Like this?
or
This?

BTW, both of my kids phones have built in locate as well. Not a bad feature if needed.
CH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top