Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/29/2005 11:10:31 PM EDT
I'm listening to George Noory on "Coast To Coast" AM, and he said that a big levee just broke in New Orleans.  This radio show is half-kooky, I was just wondering if anybody else had heard / seen the same news?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
CNN.com is reporting a 2 block wide break.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
CNN.com is reporting a 2 block wide break.

That's bad.....really bad if it is the lake levee.  IIRC the lake is higher than the river side, means more water in the city.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]

>
BREAKING NEWS

A levee holding back water sustains a two-block wide breach in New Orleans. Details soon.

That's all they have on there now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#4]
According to what I saw on CNN just before the top of the hour, it was a lake levee.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep, CNN talking head said it was near 7th and Canal street, that's the lake levee.  They are interviewing a person in N.O. at a hospital who says the water is rising at 1" every 5 minutes.
Breach is on the Orleans parish side of the canal, it is running directly down Canal Street

They are air-evacuating most of the folks in the hospital.

The lady on the phone with CNN is scared to death, you can hear it in her voice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#6]
The worst is still in the future for Nawlins.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#8]
As if they haven't endured enough.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Flooding is now reaching the second floors of most buildings in NOLA...

Looks like what the cain didn't mess up, the rain will.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:39:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn! This is bad. Really bad. There are still lots of folks trapped on roofs and attics around this area. Unlike in a big hospital, there's only so far up they can go.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn! This is bad. Really bad. There are still lots of folks trapped on roofs and attics around this area. Unlike in a big hospital, there's only so far up they can go.  

How bad??? How high do you think the water will rise?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#13]
so much for people saying this was a dud
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn things just kept getting worse.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question. Anybody know how much higher the lake's water level is in relation to N.O. itself?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
they haven't said a thing on CNN
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Water rising at the rate of 1" every 5 minutes. Water is already up to the second floor on many buildings.   Any higher than that and folks trapped in attics and the roofs of single story structures will be in serious trouble. And from news reports I heard earlier tonight, there are still lots of people in that sort of situation.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good question. Anybody know how much higher the lake's water level is in relation to N.O. itself?

The "bowl" of NOLA is 15 ft. deep...

I'm guessing that flooding could reach about a foot above that...

If the water gets that high, the whole place will be washed out into the delta. That's about as bad as things could get.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the water gets that high, the whole place will be washed out into the delta. That's about as bad as things could get.

So in other words, NO is about to be wiped off the face of the map?!?!?!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Another problem with New Orleans are those flood barriers built on the Gulf side of the city. Those are going to prevent this water rushing in from the levee break on the north side to exit on the southern side.  In effect, the barriers will act as a dam and N.O. will become a lake.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Geez.  What with the big easy getting washed away I'm wondering if people might rethink rebuilding the place.

Ofcourse they will, but....damn!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#22]
How much lower than sea level is new orleans? I would guess sea level is the max height of flooding.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful, since this is the same scenereo that occured 40 years ago, the last time a hurricane came this close.  And that one was only a class 3..
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
twin span bridge is totally destroyed and NO is 80% underwater!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How much lower than sea level is new orleans? I would guess sea level is the max height of flooding.

The average is around -6 ft.

But I have seen water in some areas that's 12 ft deep, or worse. So it's hard to say.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s pretty much been the nightmare scenario since mid-afternoon yesterday.

Either way, it will be a couple years before Bourbon St. opens back up.

Yeah, it’s that bad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

How deep?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:58:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s pretty much been the nightmare scenario since mid-afternoon yesterday.

Either way, it will be a couple years before Bourbon St. opens back up.

Yeah, it’s that bad.

Well see... its not like this has not happened before.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope everyone makes it out safe, but why the hell do people live in such areas? What do they expect?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How deep?

they didn't say
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I hope everyone makes it out safe, but why the hell do people live in such areas? What do they expect?

Although I had much the same sentiments above I've gotta admit, nowhere is really safe.  SoCal can always have the "Big One" quake and imagine your lovely Nevada without water service for two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#32]
A TV station in New Orleans just broadcast the mayor giving a statement:

www.wwltv.com

Streaming video link there also.

(can somebody make this link hot...I do not know how to do it)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
A TV station in New Orleans just broadcast the mayor giving a statement:

www.wwltv.com

Streaming video link there also.

(can somebody make this link hot...I do not know how to do it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:02:56 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Although I had much the same sentiments above I've gotta admit, nowhere is really safe.  SoCal can always have the "Big One" quake and imagine your lovely Nevada without water service for two weeks.

If you live on a fault line you should move, if your not willing to move you should be ready to loose your home and perhaps your life.

We could do just fine with out california

But really, it's playing with fire, your gonna get burned, maybe not today but one day its gonna happen.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:04:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Yes, CNN is reporting eighty percent of New Orleans is now underwater.  Water rushing down Canal street through the levee break. Twenty square mile area underwater.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:11:15 AM EDT
[#37]
looting
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#38]
DAMN!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:13:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you live on a fault line you should move, if your not willing to move you should be ready to loose your home and perhaps your life.

We could do just fine with out california

But really, it's playing with fire, your gonna get burned, maybe not today but one day its gonna happen.

It is not all that bad, I've survived many earthquakes, and seen 2 riots. Other than that it's okay. Our building codes are very strict.

According to the streaming link above, Boubon St is dry for now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
looting

Sadly, human nature being what it is you can expect looting to follow once the main danger of drowning is over.

Hopefully we won't have any Nat. Guardsmen getting their rifles stolen this go around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#41]
CNN:  New Orleans Fire Chief confirms 200 foot break in levee.  Lake Ponchatrain is pouring into New Orleans, near Canal Street.  Mayor says some sections deep as 20 feet.  Airport under water.  All of Slidell MS underwater.  Metarie is under water.  All routes out of New Orleans are underwater.  Oil Tanker has ran aground and is leaking oil.  Barge hit major skyscraper and structural integrity is compromised.  Many reports of bodies floating in the water from firemen, policemen.  Bodies floating everywhere in east New Orleans.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#42]
How important/vital is that Twin Span Bridge that was destroyed?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:22:55 AM EDT
[#43]
If it's underwater I say we leave it, to drain it and rebuild will simply be a temp fix. Lets just give the people who have lost homes some cash. If we gave israel $300k+ a family we can give that to americans.

I figure in the long run it would save quite a few bucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:24:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If it's underwater I say we leave it, to drain it and rebuild will simply be a temp fix. Lets just give the people who have lost homes some cash. If we gave israel $300k+ a family we can give that to americans.

This may sound horrible, but why?  Theyre the ones who decided to live in a area that is prone to hurricans and is under sea level.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This may sound horrible, but why?  Theyre the ones who decided to live in a area that is prone to hurricans and is under sea level.

Because no matter what we are going to pay for it, so lets do something that will help save some money.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Pump not working on Marconi Drive and in Ninth Ward.  Water overwhelmed levee system.  Water being pumped out of New Orleans is coming back in through the levee breach.  St Benard is totally devestated - 40,000 homes flooded in that area alone.  FEMA says 80 percent of NO underwater, everything north of I-10 underwater.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:29:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
CNN:  New Orleans Fire Chief confirms 200 foot break in levee.  Lake Ponchatrain is pouring into New Orleans, near Canal Street.  Mayor says some sections deep as 20 feet.  Airport under water.  All of Slidell MS underwater.  Metarie is under water.  All routes out of New Orleans are underwater.  Oil Tanker has ran aground and is leaking oil.  Barge hit major skyscraper and structural integrity is compromised.  Many reports of bodies floating in the water from firemen, policemen.  Bodies floating everywhere in east New Orleans.

Geez.

I was hoping that with the change of course, New Orleans would escape with few deaths. I suppose that's not going to be the case.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#48]
cnn is the only ones talking about this, cnn does seem to usually have the news first.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#49]
A coastal city that was below sea level is now suffering from flooding? Inconceivable!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

I was hoping that with the change of course, New Orleans would escape with few deaths. I suppose that's not going to be the case.

The pumps that are working are pumping water that is ending up coming back in through the levee breach.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top