Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 2:35:14 PM EDT
Looks like I will be going to my first NASCAR race this weekend at Fontana raceway.  For those of you that have gone before sure could use some good tips on what to take to the racetrack, this will be a night race.    And does anyone know how much it costs to rent the radios so you can listen to the drivers?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Never been to that track specifically, but I suggest that you bring some sort of seat cushion(metal benches). It wouldn't be a bad idea if you also brought along some warmer clothes than you would wear during the day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Every track is different as to what you can bring.  Try here:

California Speedway
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I bring beer, beer, and some beer.

Then I go get some extra beer.

Seriouly don't forget the beer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Jump up throughout the race & ask loudly, "Where the hell is Dale Earnheart????????????"  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like I will be going to my first NASCAR race this weekend at Fontana raceway.  For those of you that have gone before sure could use some good tips on what to take to the racetrack, this will be a night race.    And does anyone know how much it costs to rent the radios so you can listen to the drivers?

1. EAR PLUGS
2. Cooler to fit under bench, check their rules for size, take your own food and drink.
3. Bench or seat pad
4. Poncho
5. Take lots of patience and courtesy with you, you will be dealing with thousands of folks.
6. Have fun
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Last week I went to Michigan for the first time.

Take ear plugs and lots of cash.

I had my own scanner and all I needed was a frequency list.  Stood in line behind a family of four.  They rented 1 scanner, 4 headsets with mics, and a box to hook them all up to.  $160.00  Just to rent.

You can rent 1 scanner and 1 heaed set for $50.00

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Jump up throughout the race & ask loudly, "Where the hell is Dale Earnhardt????????????"  

Fixed......and the answer would be in the RED # 8 Budweiser car.......
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Earplugs
Beer
More beer
Scanner, for the price of a rental you can have a Pro 95 with trunking
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to Fontana the first 2 races they had,1997-98 I think.

1) Try to sit in the higher seats so you can see the whole track.

2) Give yourself plenty of travel time,not as bad as Loudon traffic,but it sucks.

3) Plenty of sunscreen

4) See what is allowed to bring in,and load up.the more food and drinks you bring in,the less you have to spend inside the track.The prices are totally unreasonable.

5) Binoculars

6) Scanners are cool and you can rent them,but I just bought one myself and got the code sheets they sell for 5 bucks.

7) It will be a boring race,these cookie cutter tracks are the death of Nascar.The first 5 or 10 laps after a restart are cool,but there is generally 3-5 seconds between 1st and 2nd place the entire race.

8) Have fun and don't break your neck looking at all the incredibly hot women there that don't know a thing about Nascar.They are there to be seen,and they are plentifull.

Edit: Just read the speedway guide,and no aluminum cansor bottles.Among a bunch of other rediculous rules.Loudon you can bring in whatever you can carry,just no glass.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1. EAR PLUGS
2. Cooler to fit under bench, check their rules for size, take your own food and drink.
3. Bench or seat pad
4. Poncho
5. Take lots of patience and courtesy with you, you will be dealing with thousands of folks.
6. Have fun

Great list.  Add to that Goodys headache powder.  Sun, noise, and beer make a headache.  Get the cooler at Wally world.  They make narrow and tall coolers that can hold over a case of beerskis with ice.  Many rules say they have to fit at your feet, meaning narrow.  An umbrella can make you a couple new friends, quicklike!  Definately want binoculars to see the chick flashing boobies at turn three on top of the motorhome!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't own or rent a scanner please....please take ear plugs or your shooting muffs. The noise is not that bad but 3+ hours of it will drive you nuts. Water or Gatorade and lots of it. If it's hot you'll need it. Go to www.jayski.com for the scanner frequencies and be sure to program in the network boys. (NBC this week I think) You can hear their off camera comments which I just found out this week are worth the price of admission.

Stop drinking around the 300 mile point. If your camping don't worry about it but if your driving after the race you'll thank me. Once you get in traffic for 2 and a half hours or so you'll understand.

You are about to experience one of the greatest people watching events of your life. From the penthouse to the outhouse, from the Timex to the Rolex you will see the extremes of American life. It's one hell of a party.

BTW: As the cars come by you on the first lap take a long deep breath. You will experience what NASCAR is all about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Banjo
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Should be in Darlington this weekend.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Beer AND water.  You don't want to have to pay for either there.
Sunscreen.

You can probably tolerate 3 hours of it w/o earplugs or muffs, but I don't recommend it.  You may consider renting/buying a scanner.  Listening to MRN during the race really makes it alot easier, otherwise you're just sitting there wondering "WTF?" when something unexpected happens to a driver.

Side note:  I went to all the Texas races from 97-00.  The first IRL race there in 1997 was primarily NASCAR fans(we all had PSLs for the races) and it was funny seeing rugged NASCAR fans shoving anything possible including cigarette butts into their ears.  Those 4.0L V8s the IRL first ran were fucking loud.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top