Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 1:44:20 PM EDT
OK, I've decided that sattelite radio is the coolest thing since sliced bread. My neighbor has XM, and I'm lovin' it. I noticed that my car stereo is "Sirius ready". I'm not married to either one, however.

So: Which one should I get? XM or Sirius? Let's here it - pros and cons of both.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
OK, I've decided that sattelite radio is the coolest thing since sliced bread. My neighbor has XM, and I'm lovin' it. I noticed that my car stereo is "Sirius ready". I'm not married to either one, however.

So: Which one should I get? XM or Sirius? Let's here it - pros and cons of both.

Do you plan on listening to any sports?  If so that should make the decision much easier.  Of course, Sirius has the NFL.  I believe XM has baseball along with some others.  I have Sirius and really enjoy it... no regrets.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I own piles of stock in both companies.

I listen to XM.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you plan on listening to any sports?  If so that should make the decision much easier.  Of course, Sirius has the NFL.  I believe XM has baseball along with some others.  I have Sirius and really enjoy it... no regrets.  

I don't plan on listening to sports.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Sirius. No contest.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
The last time this informal poll was taken, Sirius won.

I have one, soon to be two.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
XM radio, how can you beat GM or Hughes ?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh really? Hmmm...Time for another poll.

I guess I'd like to know WHY one is better than another. Perhaps it doesn't really matter?

I'll be listening to alot of talk radio. Guys like:

Rush
Hannity
Savage
Dave Ramsey
Bruce Williams
I haven't heard G Gordon in a while...
Coast to Coast

Stuff like that. A decent choice of classic rock and hard rock/metal would be swell.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If you like talk there is no contest. Opie and Anthony are by far the Kings of talk radio. Howard Stern is a tool. I simply would not support anything that that clown is part of. He invented everything (tell em Fred, hoo hoo!). I really enjoy my XM. I have 3 XM recievers now. MyRadioStore.com has the Roady2 for about $50, and that is everything you need. Both companies are here to stay, but with that said XM has about 4.5 million subs and Sirius has about 1.6 million (though Howard claims 6).
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
XM radio sent 300+ jobs where I work overseas to Jamaica, so I wouldnt use it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
XM has far better products. Sirius products are so far behind in the technology.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
XM has far better products. Sirius products are so far behind in the technology.

Examples? Elaborate?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No kidding?  My wife has family that live in Jamaica.  That place is becomming bad news with many, many gangsters.

I have Sirius and like it, but the songs seem to repeat a lot.  Beats the hell out of commercial radio and the 55 minutes of ads each hour.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Examples? Elaborate?

Sirius has nothing that compares to this.

Plus they have several other products that will blow that away out before X-mas. Sirius has claimed to be coming out with something similar since January. Hmmm no sign yet. Poor lil puppy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding?  My wife has family that live in Jamaica.  That place is becomming bad news with many, many gangsters.

They ripped off alot of peoples credit cards and stuff at the call center in jamaica and they still got the entire contact.

If you ever call them dont give out CC info if you can avoid it
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh really? Hmmm...Time for another poll.

I guess I'd like to know WHY one is better than another. Perhaps it doesn't really matter?

I'll be listening to alot of talk radio. Guys like:

Rush
Hannity
Savage
Dave Ramsey
Bruce Williams
I haven't heard G Gordon in a while...
Coast to Coast

Stuff like that. A decent choice of classic rock and hard rock/metal would be swell.

Then get Sirius, I got mine in March and haven't listen to the regular radio or a CD since. If you like Hard Metal/classic rock than you are going to love Hard Attack, 24/7 heavy metal. Than there's Buzzsaw, classic hard rock and Octane, pure hard rock. They also have most of the talk show hosts you listed also. Them three channels and talk radio is all I listen to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Fungus53. All Punk. All the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Sirius has NRA News
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sirius has NRA News

And Martha Stewart!
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#22]
 XM for me.....The girlfriend has Sirius, and there is an awful lot of replay of the music.  At times it seems like they are just running a loop
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had a good experience with XM, but more and more I wouldn't mind giving Sirius a shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife and I have been talking about getting it soon.  We will most likely go with XM when we do.  I wish they had NFL though.  But with XM I would never miss another Cubs game or NASCAR race again.

That MyFi is friggin cool.  $300 at Wally World.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you like talk there is no contest. Opie and Anthony are by far the Kings of talk radio. Howard Stern is a tool. I simply would not support anything that that clown is part of. He invented everything (tell em Fred, hoo hoo!). I really enjoy my XM. I have 3 XM recievers now. MyRadioStore.com has the Roady2 for about $50, and that is everything you need. Both companies are here to stay, but with that said XM has about 4.5 million subs and Sirius has about 1.6 million (though Howard claims 6).

i got the roady 2 at walmart for a little less then that. came to about 50 after taxes thu. My only complaint is the mounting glue didnt hold  for the bracket  in the az heat so i had to reexpoxy  it on,  but hats not realy XM's fault.

I like havng Foxnews in the car. between that and the Boneyard thats all i listen to,
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I chose XM for the agreement they have with MLB.

The other stuff ends up being pretty much the same.  I don't do a lot of talk radio, but like the Fox News Live, ESPN Radio, Sporting News Radio and the Comedy XL stations....

The music is the music....the "commericals" are 1/64th the commericals that are on regualr radio.

Again, my decision hinged on the MLB contract with XM.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Then your only option is Sirius. XM has dropped their hard stuff. HardAttack on Sirius is awesome.

Two of my friends have XM and share the same taste in music. If they could do it over again they would pick Sirius. Those who say XM is the best have never listened to Sirius.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Then your only option is Sirius. XM has dropped their hard stuff. HardAttack on Sirius is awesome.

Two of my friends have XM and share the same taste in music. If they could do it over again they would pick Sirius. Those who say XM is the best have never listened to Sirius.

XM still has:

Boneyard...Fungus...Squizz....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#30]
XM also has ACC, Big 10(+1), and Pac 10 sports.

If they had SEC, I would run out tomorrow and grab the MyFi.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#31]

+1 for Sirius.  Got it about 6 weeks ago and I love it.  Prefer listening to Octane and Hard Attack stations.  

The Patriot station is also excellent.  G. Gordon Liddy, Laura Ingram, on Sundays they have some sort of gun-talk show.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I have Sirius and like it alot
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Fungus53. All Punk. All the time.

44 fred and

47 ethel ain't bad either

54 lucy for when the missus is in the car

got a great  jazz channel too (70)

all on XM , + i can log on an listen at the website too
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:17:20 AM EDT
[#34]
When it comes to sports think about this. NFL games are on Sirius, true. When are NFL games on? When most people are at home. How many games are there? Not a big deal to have NFL on Sirius.

MLB on the other hand is a totally different story. First there are soooo many more games in a season, and there are games during the day, games at night, and most games are hardly broadcast.

Does Sirius do a web cast free for members?

I agree we need to protest XM to get the hardcore station back. I do not think XM is lacking though. Sirius does have alot of replay from what I have heard listening to it. Oh boy, more Nickelback!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#35]
I like XM.

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top