Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2005 8:55:24 AM EDT
When I was a kid back in the 70's my father painted our house. It had multiple coats of pain so he used a thing called a heating iron ( at least thats what he called it) It melted the paint so it would come off the wood easily. It was a rectangular shaped thing about 3" x 5" that had a heating eliment in it. So I'm in the process of painting my porch and tring to  melt off many coats of paint also. I am using a heat gun though. Its takes quite a while because you can't apply heat to a very large area. I have looked high & low locally and on the internet but can't find anything like this.

Does anyone know if the still make heating irons? Any ideas where I could find one? Thanks zeekh
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:56:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Not up, down!  Side, side.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Shure do. Go to a dedicated paint store for a good one. You can also burn your house down if your not carefull
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, that sounds like a lot work
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shure do. Go to a dedicated paint store for a good one. You can also burn your house down if your not carefull

Have you actually seem one recently? That would make me feel better cause at least I would knoe they still make them. I've been to a couple dedicated paint stores. They don't have them. Maybe they don't sell them here in NY. Some of the help have never heard of a heating iron. The internet painting stores have nothing either. Or at least the websites I've been to

Yeah I know you can burn your house down this way if you not careful. The heat gun I'm using could have the same results. I keep a garden hose handy.

Man, that sounds like a lot work

Yes it is. But the paint is built up so bad on my porch it peels new paint off the following year. So I fgure if I take all the old paint off I can at least start over.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I assume your tlking about brush strokes
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I do a lot of painting in my remodel business. My perfered method for exterior paint removal is a 3000 psi pressure washer. It will remove all paint bar none. You must be careful not to destroy wood that is partially rotten. Everything said and done I can rent a washer, power blast the area, repair any incidental wood damage and prime the area. All of this in less time than it would take to heat strip and time is money. If you must use heat the Burnzamatic propane torches are a cost effective way to go.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Pressure washer and hand scraper. Use the pressure washer, then give it a few dats to dry out.  The paint that isn't removed by the pressure washer will start to lift up around the edges from the drying out.  Scrape what is left.  If it wont come off with that, leave it and paint over it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I assume your tlking about brush strokes

Its Mr. Migyagi from The Karate Kid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top