Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 6:12:54 AM EDT
Has anyone heard anything about a trucker's strike starting on Labor Day?

I have a friend who runs a small, independent trucking company, and he was talking about it last night at a local diner.

I didn't know if anyone had heard anything about this.

Good thing Wal-Mart's supply lines aren't union. Their shelves will be stocked.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Unions are losing their relevance in America.  They have to pull stupid shit from time to time to stay in the news.  Sort of like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Its like the miners around here who used to strike the day before deer season opened up and end the strike the last day of deer season.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah , but i can see their point and it ain't to just to strike! It will definatly send a message to Oil companies. You know how many millions of gallons won't be sold if they go out just one week?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah , but i can see their point and it ain't to just to strike! It will definatly send a message to Oil companies. You know how many millions of gallons won't be sold if they go out just one week?

The oil companies dont care, stuff still has to get from point A to point B, it'll either happen that week, or get delayed until the next, but eventually the trucks will be back on the road burning fuel.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
definatly

That's a new version of the most misspelded word on AR15.com!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
At least they are doing something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if that means UPS wont be shipping again?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
definatly

What the hell is that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wonder if that means UPS wont be shipping again?

That would be interesting, to say the least.I haven't heard anything about it and I talk to Yellow,Roadway guys every day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
We still need the unions in this country. Once they are gone you'll see wages drop everywhere. The standard will be gone.

United We Bargain / Divided We Beg.......why should the employers be the only ones holding all the cards?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Most people that talk shit about Unions are just jealous they aren't part of one.
Stick that in you chinese pipe and smoke it wally world lovers
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
early to bed,
early to rise,
work like hell and
ORGANIZE!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We still need the unions in this country. Once they are gone you'll see wages drop everywhere. The standard will be gone.

United We Bargain / Divided We Beg.......why should the employers be the only ones holding all the cards?

I've managed to do extremely well without collective bargaining so far.  No job I have ever had has been covered by a CBA, so your bullshit story doesn't wash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
early to bed,
early to rise,
work like hell and
ORGANIZE!

Mexicans who will work for 1/10 of what you want are very easy to find in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
definatly

Spelling Nazi
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
early to bed,
early to rise,
work like hell and
ORGANIZE!

Mexicans who will work for 1/10 of what you want are very easy to find in Oklahoma.

So this is what you want in America?....a country loaded with mexicans that will work for 1/10 of what everyone else will accept?  It would just be a matter of time before they organized too.

Some people just don't get it. Sheesh!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#18]
yall should read up on Samuel Gompers and George Westinghouse.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Most people that talk shit about Unions are just jealous they aren't part of one.

Unions are an idea who's time has passed.  

I have nothing against organizing to ensure a safe work environment, but the whole "I get x dollars because I've been here 15 years" is a bullshit compensation method.  It breeds laziness and is a disincentive to perform your job to excellence.

I'm sorry, but if you're doing the same job as you were doing 15 years ago, at the same skill and performance level, you deserve to get the same pay (cost of living adjusted of course).

If you advance your skill set, are more productive, what have you, you should get raises above and beyond cost of living.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

so they do it labor day, a very busy week of tourist driving?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
UPS is not going on strike. No way. No how.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unions are an idea who's time has passed.  

I have nothing against organizing to ensure a safe work environment, but the whole "I get x dollars because I've been here 15 years" is a bullshit compensation method.  It breeds laziness and is a disincentive to perform your job to excellence.

I'm sorry, but if you're doing the same job as you were doing 15 years ago, at the same skill and performance level, you deserve to get the same pay (cost of living adjusted of course).

If you advance your skill set, are more productive, what have you, you should get raises above and beyond cost of living.  

Don't try the logic thing with union folks.. it's like trying to teach a pig to yodel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Stick that in you chinese pipe and smoke it wally world lovers

I was in one for while, granted it was a part time job
all they did for me was take my money and send me newsletters begging me to vote dimocrap
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
yall should read up on Samuel Gompers and George Westinghouse.

Fuck them both.  All I need to read are the union newsletters where I have worked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#25]
to beeredup to even Quote and reply. goodnight gentlemen!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#26]
replace them with undocumented scabs
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
replace them with undocumented scabs

Works for me
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

oh yeah, cause they're doing so much about all the illegals that are driving wages down.......NOT!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Wait a minute this is  the teamsters. If they say they will strike on labor day it will take them week to get around to it. So don't count on a strike for about a week after labor day. Lazy bastards
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wait a minute this is  the teamsters. If they say they will strike on labor day it will take them week to get around to it. So don't count on a strike for about a week after labor day. Lazy bastards

Ouch!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Trucker bullshit,this shit is brought up all the time on the CB!Why would the Teamsters go on strike? They did'nt in the early 70's! It was the indepedents who went on strike in OH,PA,and AR,then!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top