Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 8:18:59 PM EDT
It was the second time in class today and I already don't like it.

First off I'm bias because I hate talking in front of people.

The first speech we have to give is an introductory one, about oursleves, and we have to find a quote that best describes ourselves, one word that best describes ourselves, what celebrity do we most resemble

Where can I find some quotes?

I'm temped to post a pic of myself, but you evil people will photoshop me into oblivion
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Most freshman college courses are designed to cultivate as much leftist thinking in you as they can.

My speech comm teacher kept making us take stupid "who gets thrown out of the lifeboat" tests.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Speech is actually one of the most useful classes I found while I went to college.  Don't worry, the benefits outway the BS you go through.  As for quotes, that's pretty broad to determine without knowing you personally.  Lot of help I am
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
When it comes to the 5 or 10 minute speech, just recite Martin Luther King's "I have a Dream" speech. He/She will love you.

If you show up and just do what the professor asks, you will pass. You can make it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#4]
We had to rate historical speaker today in 3 categories(competencey/trustworthiness/karisma) on a scale of 1-10 for each category.

Speakers: JFK, MLK, Clinton, Edwin Edwards, David Duke, & Hitler

MLK and Hitler got 30 JFK got 27 Bill got 21

Teacher is hot for an older lady
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most freshman college courses are designed to cultivate as much leftist thinking in you as they can.

My speech comm teacher kept making us take stupid "who gets thrown out of the lifeboat" tests.

I liked my speech professor.  He was an ex marine who had a great attitude.  He looked at the syallbus given to him by the department head, threw it in the trash and said what a piece of shit.

We gave 4 speeches that semester.

Then we did some survavlist stuff.   One was if we crashed in somewhere cold like North pole/siberia/anatartica, what would be the most important supplies to keep.

Had lots of fun in that class.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hate talking in front of people.

That's the quote I'd use :)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Use it an opportunity to counter all of the leftist hippy crap. I once had to do a speech where I picked a nation problem and had to develop a gov. law/regulation that would help solve it. Problem: violent crime; solution: national concealed carry. I made an A.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If you do not like public speaking, all I can say is this class is for you.  It is ok to be embarassed.  It is ok if your knees and your voice shake.  Speaking in front of people is one of the most important things you can do to further your career.  

Some of the best speakers I know are not extroverts.  They hate speaking in public.  They are professionals that go through the same nervous stuff that you are experiencing now.

If you plan on doing any advanced degrees, you will do speeches in most classes.  Get used to it.

Corporations like people that can speak.  Do yourself a favor and join a Toastmasters group or a debate club.  Force yourself to speak.  Get out of your comfort zone!

It is always easy to stand in the back of the room and listen, but it won't get you far.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Speech is actually one of the most useful classes I found while I went to college.  Don't worry, the benefits outway the BS you go through.  As for quotes, that's pretty broad to determine without knowing you personally.  Lot of help I am

+1

Great class.  What you learn here should have alot of workplace utility.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Say "I hate speech and talking in front of people" and go sit back down.

I'm in speech too (I think it's 131) I hate speech, but in high school speech class, we had to give around 8 speeches. In my second year of college, I only have to do 4, and only 2 of those are going to be "Longer".

I hate it, but I'm not dreading it. Just roll with it and see what happens.

WIZZO

BTW, I'm a quiet guy, shy too. But, hell, it's only a semester
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The key for me was to pick topics that I was intensely interested in.  Especially if I understood the topic and only had to write the speech and find references.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think we have to give around 4 major speeches and a few imprompto ones.

I'll make the best of it, I always do

Probably shouldn't have waited until I was a junior though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
The most fun speeches are the impromtu speeches.  You walk up in front of the class.  The instructor gives you a topic.  You have 2 minutes to think.  Then talk for 10 minutes.

Do not make note cards to read.  Learn your topic and speak.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The key for me was to pick topics that I was intensely interested in.  Especially if I understood the topic and only had to write the speech and find references.  

+1 on picking topics you're interested in. They are much easier to talk about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#15]
For quotes, go to the library and get a copy of Bartlett's Quotations.  Very useful.

For the class, take it seriously, and ask your prof for extra feedback.  Being a good public speaker has been important in every job I have had since college.  Every one.

Tape yourself, at least audio, but video too if you have a video camera.  Look for things like how many times you say "umm", where you seem rushed, where you pause too long.  When I first started, I tended to talk WAY too fast and I suffered from the UMM syndrome, where every second of my speech had to be filled with my voice somehow, as if I was trying to "keep the floor" or prevent others from speaking over me.  Learn to slow down--a LOT.  Learn to pause purposefully and look out at your audience--later you'll use your observations to gauge audience reaction.  

Learn to strike unnecessary words from your spoken language.  "Got" should be avoided at all costs, it is a lazy word that has no real purpose.  Get rid of it.  There are others.  Find them.

Learn grammar.  Expand your vocabulary.  Slow down.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Speech and English Composition are the two most valuable courses you will take in college.  I recommend giving them both your all.

That said, I also hate public speaking and having eyes on me.  Getting out of the cacoon is good for you though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved my Public Speaking class. The teacher we had wasn't a leftist, and I had him before in my English Composition class. In my opinion, the class is worth its weight in gold. You may not like public speaking, but its very beneficial to know how to do it good if the need should ever arise.

Everyone loved my speech on Mikhail Kalashnikov & the Evolution of the AK-47. I had picutures of the varients over the years, and bunch of other info. I think I made a 97 on it IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on picking topics you're interested in. They are much easier to talk about.

This is great advice, they beat me to it. I hated standing up and speaking, hell I dreaded reading aloud in class, it scared the be-jesus out of me. My face would get red, I would start sputtering, ugh.

Pick topics you have the most knowledge or one you are most passionate about. 10 minutes is easy if you like and know what you are talking about. One of my last speeches went over a couple minutes and the teacher's egg timer went off, it freaked me out. After class she apoligized to me for letting the alarm go off(she would normally stop it before it sounded) and she gave me an A+ for the speech(I aced the class too). She said she got caught up in it and forgot to watch the timer. It was a persuasive speech about wearing seatbelts and I told about my accident and what I went through. I basically talked about me for 10+ minutes, what a great topic!

I hope this helps, it does get easier, it WILL help you in the future!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top