Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2005 12:24:19 PM EDT
enh ... enh ... waaaaahhhh.

OK, so I'm willing to wager than the majority of ARFCOM Keyboard Kommandos, inasmuch as many of us appear to have professional or skilled vocations, have business cards. I do. Most people who work for any size company and interact with the public or other folks do. My daughter's knindergarten teacher does. Cops do. Assistant managers at Wal*Mart do. Dog groomers do. They're chea and effective ways of cumminicating one's business affiliation.

So why don't people give them out?

Yesterday, I had a meeting at another engineering company's office. The meeting was with one guy, a principal, who I know and two guys I don't. I gave each of them my new card. I got ZERO in return.

The day before that, I had a meeting at a client's office. Met 5 people I didn't know before. I gave out cards. I got ONE.

Last Wednesday I was a a plant owned by a major manufacturer of wheeled and tracked heavy equipment and diesel engines. I met at least a half-dozen engineers and managers. I had cards for each person I met. I got none in return.

My company is doing a LOT of work at a large mineral processing plant in Missouri. Last Tuesday, I had a meeting with 7 (!) engineers and managers at the plant, none of whom I had met previously. I distributed cards to each of them. I didn't get a single one in return.

The common excuse among these boobs is, "Oh, I left my cards at my desk. I'll get you one after the meeting." Was the meeting such a complete and total surprise that they couldn't take 0.5 seconds to grab a little stack of cards? I suppose so.

I know that cards cost money, but why have them if you're not going to give them out to people you're doing business with? Have they run out of cards because they've been choking every fish bowl at Applebee's, Peking Dragon, Jiffy Lube and Baskin-Robbins, hoping to win some free shit?

I know that in the case of some contract and part-time workers, the company simply does not provide business cards. Fine. At least the managers and senior technical people should carry and distribute cards.

What gives?

<Namby-pamby whine mode terminated.>
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Business cards are passe. Beaming contact information to PDAs and Blackberries is the way you do it today.

I have the same box of 500 business cards for the past three years. Still have 2/3rds of the box. I hand out cards to those who ask for one, or give me one of theirs. Very few do today.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#2]
My new company never bothered to buy me new cards.  Not that I'm terribly concerned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Business cards are passe. Beaming contact information to PDAs and Blackberries is the way you do it today.

I have the same box of 500 business cards for the past three years. Still have 2/3rds of the box. I hand out cards to those who ask for one, or give me one of theirs. Very few do today.

Maybe in some circles, but not all. In each of these instances, my Treo650 was the only (visible) PDA in the room.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I hand out a 100 a week or more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in some circles, but not all. In each of these instances, my Treo650 was the only (visible) PDA in the room.

I work in electronics manufacturing. Everyone has the latest gizmo. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#6]
i use e-mail so much by the time you meet me in person you have all my info in an e-mail addy.
i have a little stack of cards from vendors but if i want to talk to them i click on the folder and reply to an e-mail or call them using their "signature" info.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I always hand out 2 to a person and tell them to give one to a friend who may use my services.

It works.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I give out aobut 2000 at each trade show.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe they don't have them.

Just a idea.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reminder, I've been walking around without any for a couple of weeks now.

Yeah, I'm a sinner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just a idea.......

Well, that's just it. Almost all of the folks who took mine claimed to have a card, but they "left them on their dask" or "have them in the other building" or some such nonsense.

I chalk it up to poor comprehension of basic business communications protocols.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]
what kind of engineering are you in?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I still use/give/exchange business cards all the time.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I hand out about 20 cards per month.

It is really annoying when some long-term employee of one of my customers says, "Oh, I just don't carry them around with me."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
At my place of work we have the ability to print our own. About 6-8 months ago I printed out about 20 of them for myself. I still have 15 of them and 3 of the ones not in my office are in my truck. I talk to customers through e-mail or on the phone. Rarely in person.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've only worked here a year (been out of college that long, as well, I'm just a normal engineer), but I damn sure went and found our graphics department to have a stack of business cards made up after the first time someone asked me for a card and I had to reply "I dont have one yet" in front of a Vice President of Northrop Grummam and my boss's boss.

And yes, its annoying as hell when you dont get a card from people in return, I always keep 5 in my shirt pocket so I can hand them out if I run into someone in the hall.  I'll throw a stack of 30 in my pocket if I'm going to a meeting with people I dont know. I suck at names and faces, so I'll make notes about people on the backs of their cards so I remember them.

I give out about 40 a month.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I got some made, that seemed to be the thing to do.  Since I moved 4 years ago I never bothered getting them again.  I don't like cards and promptly lose the ones i've been given.  People that need to get in touch with me will find a way to do it, giving them cards doesn't make them call me more often.  I'm in the contacts list/address books of all the people I care to communicate with, that's enough.  I don't want to be "out there", I don't want more new business.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just a idea.......

Business cards, not Pokemon cards kiddo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm guilty, I don't carry my cards with me.  I don't carry a wallet (I use a credit card holder and a money clip instead) because I had the George Costanza huge wallet before and I got sick of it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:34 PM EDT
[#20]

When somebody gives me a card it usually ends up on my dresser with my pocket change. Later on it ends up in the trash.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh I see.... you don't *have* your special Chinpoko Mon game controller....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
what kind of engineering are you in?

I'm a civil/structural engineer. My company provides engineering and construction services for industrial process facilities - mineral processing, cement plants, steel mills, grain handling facilities - that sort of thing.

The company I work for is small - 13 total full-time employees. In an organization this size, every person, from the president down to the field office clerk, is integral to the presence of our firm with our clients and associates.

I met a guy once who kept a record of every person he ever gave a business card to. He hand-numbered each one, and kept this crazy little logbook that detailed who, where, when and for what purpose each card was handed out. That's a bit much, I should say.

I know a lot of people who don't have business cards at all. One guy is a jewelry broker. He figures that anybody who needs to get ahold of him already knows how. He buys from about 5 or 6 people worldwide, and only sells to 5 or 6 wholesalers/dealers. I got him some joke cards once for his birthday. They just said "NOYB" in tiny letters on one side. I think I paid $8 for 100 cards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I hand them out .

I am in sales and alot of times when we are slow and everyone is whining about no cust's walking in the door... i am busy returning vmail and emails due to the fact that i always hand them out.. < sell or not.. you ask what time it is.. your getting a card... >

some people call back.. most seem to give them away as most vmails and emails start like this " so and so gave me your card and ................"

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Maybe your not "card worthy".

When some Amway dope gives me a card, I sure don't reach for mine.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When some Amway dope gives me a card, I sure don't reach for mine.

It's not a pyramid scheme! I swear! Look, it even says so right here in the brochure!! See? "Not a pyramid scheme."

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#26]
What are you guys paying for 500? I'm in the printing biz and might be able to save you some money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]

DzlBenz said:

I gave each of them my new card. I got ZERO in return.

They probably didn't want to see you again?

Just a guess.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What are you guys paying for 500? I'm in the printing biz and might be able to save you some money.

I have no idea, but I think it's less than $12/500.

The last place I worked only provided 125 cards at a time to people. However, their printer in Detroit required a minimum order of 500. So, if you ran out, you had to wait until 3 other people needed cards to fulfill the minimum order. Like an idiot, I asked, "well, since I need more right away, why can't I just get 250, or 500 even?" The reply, "Because we need 4 people to get 125 to make 500, and if you got 500, then that would make the total order 875, and then we'd need another person to make 1000."
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]
"Don't call us, we'll call you."

Did you have some spinach in your teeth? Leave your zipper down? I'm just saying...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
You could just tack 'em up in the men's room.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Don't call us, we'll call you."

Did you have some spinach in your teeth?

What teeth?

Quoted: Leave your zipper down? I'm just saying...
Zipper? My pajama pants don't have a zipper.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I went through a period of time a few years ago that I was ordering new business cards every 3 months or so.(to add on new certifications I was earning)  The smallest # I could get at a time was 500.  I would have lik 490 left and I'd be ordeing a new one.

Finally I landed a promotion and got rid of the alphabet behind my name.  I haven't ordered a businss card since.

Unreleated -
I know group of contractors who worked for a company who had all workers listed a V.P. on their business cards.  I'd be working with contractors make @ $20/hr and they would all pass out business cards listing  them a V.P. of consulting.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just a idea.......

Business cards, not Pokemon cards kiddo.

What do I know? I'm just a dumb kid, we're all the same.

Well I'm not an expert on business cards, nor do i pretend to know about the personalities of engineers. But I do know something. I do not like to have alot of things in my pockets. Ever think that they don't care to carry a whole lot of excess crap?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Where I work, the vendors/customers that come in usually have business cards... so I made my own and always bring a few to the meetings. Exchanges always take place.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I got either 250 or 500, can't remember, for free from some online businesscard place. well I had to pay $3 shipping
I keep a few in my wallet and mainly only use them if I run into someone I know but have lost touch with, usually classmates from high school
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I should dig out my copy of American Psycho so I can type up that whole Business Card thing he was doing...

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I should dig out my copy of American Psycho so I can type up that whole Business Card thing he was doing...

We all know you're too busy memorizing Huey Lewis lyrics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Yup. If I'm helping with Pre-Sales, I'll hand a bunch out, because PHB's and Sales weenies like them (and everybody does it before they even sit down). When it's a bunch of engineers? Well, they probably already have my email containing the vcard attachment (I send these on every outbound email). If not, they just ask me. I don't keep them in my pocket. I have a huge stack in my laptop backpack.

In 8 years of being a business card toting IT guy, I've never ran out. I don't think I've even given out 500 in 8 years, including the ones I drop in the fishbowls.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
my cards are in front of my desk, if someone wants one they are in plain view....handing them out is tacky....i receive a ton of cards and most end up in the garbage...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm a middle manager and travel a moderate amount, the only time I really make sure that I have business cards with me is when I'm going to a company for the first time. Otherwise I don't bother unless I know someone new is working there. (I'm not in sales)

When people (sales reps usually) call at my facility I *rarely* have cards with me to give out to them. They're trying to sell me something, if I want to call them back or buy something from them I'll look up their number.

Not trying to be rude but if I don't have my cards on me I'm probalby not going back to my desk to get them just because some rep comes in (since I'm walking around a building where everyone knows me, I usually *don't* have them with me).

If they had enough information to schedule a meeting then they probably already know who I am anyway.

When I'm out at a contractors and there's a large meeting scheduled I get a crapload of other people's business cards...many of whom I'll never see again because they're just there for the 'meet n greet' and won't be actively involved in our project. Yeah it's a nice gesture but now I've gotta keep track of which cards are important and which are just filler.

My take on the whole thing, I wouldn't get my panties in a bunch because some pointy headed engineer forgot to bring his card. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#43]
An exchange of business cards always happens in my meetings.
Whether it be with new management from my customer or first time visting suppliers.
Then I typically load it all into outlook and file the card.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn I give them away like emmys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I have huge numbers of business cards, mainly because of working for large companies who re-org every 5 minutes and the job title and usually the division I worked for no longer exost, so I get a new batch.

After a while I gave up and violated several different company business card policies by having mine printed with just the company name, my name, my home office address and phone number and an e-mail address. No matter how many times I was re-orged the cards remained valid, whereas most of the people I worked with either gave up on trying to keep up, or were told not to spend money on new business cards until the old ones were used up -- these are the people who leave them in the other building, at the office etc. They are ashamed of the out of date cards, and reluctant to give out cards which identify them as not being what they represented themselves to be to you 5 minutes ago.

One advantage of my company and name only card is that several people have commented later that they thought that I must be someone really important if I didn't have a job title and division printed on the card - just my name.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#48]
IM me your address and I'll send you mine.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Whenever I need new cards, I just remove them from the laundromat
bulletin board, make an X through whatever is on front and write my
info on back.
That said, I've never found them especially useful for drumming up business.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:08:35 PM EDT
[#50]

DzlBenz said:

I gave each of them my new card. I got ZERO in return.

Take a shower.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top