Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 7:30:41 AM EDT
After visiting the bookstore to purchase the *only* item that I cannot purchase online via amazon or at the other bookstore here in town, an electrical parts kit, and notice that there are 'checkers' at the door verifying receipts and purchases, i.e. looking through purchases and marking the receipt as they do at Sam's Club.  I left because I didn't want to cause any unnecessary drama by walking by them and refusing the search and also because I work on campus and had my ID badge on at the time.

Should I have purchased the components and walked by as I would have at everyone's favorite super store?  Have any of the other collegiate members here experienced similar on campus?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
After visiting the bookstore to purchase the *only* item that I cannot purchase online via amazon or at the other bookstore here in town, an electrical parts kit, and notice that there are 'checkers' at the door verifying receipts and purchases, i.e. looking through purchases and marking the receipt as they do at Sam's Club.  I left because I didn't want to cause any unnecessary drama by walking by them and refusing the search and also because I work on campus and had my ID badge on at the time.

Should I have purchased the components and walked by as I would have at everyone's favorite super store?  Have any of the other collegiate members here experienced similar on campus?

This time of year sees THOUSANDS of students going through the bookstore. It sees THOUSANDS of thefts too.

Checking receipts is a smart thing to do right now, as now is when the criminals are most likely to hit.

Personally I never have a problem showing my receipt. When I worked at the gunstore during the closeout sale, I checked receipts myself because lots of unsavory types tried to pull some stuff....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:37:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Whats the big deal, it's a bookstore?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This time of year sees THOUSANDS of students going through the bookstore. It sees THOUSANDS of thefts too.

Considering the cost of college text books, I'm not surprised.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
The bookstore at the school I just graduated from checks receipts at the door. Last semester, I paid for my books, put them in my backpack, and headed out. The guy at the door asks me to stop so that he can look in my backpack. I told them that there was absolutely no way he was going through my personal property.

He continued to insist, and then decided to get a manager. I almost left the store right then, but decided that I could spend a minute to talk to the manager too. The manager gave the same story about how all bags need to be checked as we leave. I told him that unless they had a reason to suspect that I had stolen something, that they had zero right to inspect my belongings or attempt to keep me from leaving. I asked if he would like to call the police to sort it out.

He decided that calling the police wasn't necessary, but told me that the polite thing to do would be to comply with their request. I told him that the polite thing to do would be to not treat their customers like criminals, and walked out.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#5]
sign on the outside of my schools' book store about checking bags
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The bookstore at the school I just graduated from checks receipts at the door. Last semester, I paid for my books, put them in my backpack, and headed out. The guy at the door asks me to stop so that he can look in my backpack. I told them that there was absolutely no way he was going through my personal property.

He continued to insist, and then decided to get a manager. I almost left the store right then, but decided that I could spend a minute to talk to the manager too. The manager gave the same story about how all bags need to be checked as we leave. I told him that unless that had a reason to suspect that I had stolen something, that they had zero right to inspect my belongings or attempt to keep me from leaving. I asked if he would like to call the police to sort it out.

He decided that calling the police wasn't necessary, but told me that the polite thing to do would be to comply with their request. I told him that the polite thing to do would be to not treat their customers like criminals, and walked out.

Keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How about a sign that they are going to rape your girlfriend...

The sign is just to make a larger majority of sheep comply. It has no other purpose.

I would bet money that the vast majority of people really do dislike this treatment to say the least. They just lack the nerve to stand up to it.

Which is really sad. If you can't stand up to an unarmed nitwit telling you he wants to see your reciept....damn...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Where I go to school now you there is not an actual bookstore.  You have to go to the desk and tell them what program you are in, and they give you the correct books.
My former school banned backpacks in the bookstore, so there wasn't a problem with checking backpacks or anything.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The sign is just to make a larger majority of sheep comply. It has no other purpose.

I would bet money that the vast majority of people really do dislike this treatment to say the least. They just lack the nerve to stand up to it.

Which is really sad. If you can't stand up to an unarmed nitwit telling you he wants to see your reciept....damn...

Yup,  there's a sign on the back of the dump trucks saying they aren't responcible for any damage due to loose debris.  Guess what that sign is worth?  Of course plenty of people think that's the law because it's written on a big white sign.  That's the point of it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#10]
When the cashier hands you your receipt, you have a LEGAL AND FINAL TRANSACTION.

You have NO NEED to show your receipts to anyone else, unless they're accusing you of shoplifting.  If they are, grab a witness or two. Tell 'em you're gonna LAWYER UP if they ARE accusing you of shoplifting. You did the right thing by insisting on seeing the manager. HE knew he couldn't do a damn thing about you or the situation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, there's a sign on the back of the dump trucks saying they aren't responcible for any damage due to loose debris. Guess what that sign is worth? Of course plenty of people think that's the law because it's written on a big white sign. That's the point of it.

That's cool, then the dumptrucks can stay the fuck off the public roads!  Some balls they got.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where I go to school now you there is not an actual bookstore.  You have to go to the desk and tell them what program you are in, and they give you the correct books.
My former school banned backpacks in the bookstore, so there wasn't a problem with checking backpacks or anything.

The bookstore at my Unifarcity once made students stuff their bags into little cubby holes at entry. Last year they stopped it and we can carry bags in all we want.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bookstore at my Unifarcity once made students stuff their bags into little cubby holes at entry. Last year they stopped it and we can carry bags in all we want.

My University did that even when I left.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't mind the check at the door.  I'll never forget a kid I grew up with, who would walk out of a grocery store with a full cart full of stolen stuff -- nobody ever got it.

Last weekend the COSTCO exit-greeter saved me six bucks when he caught a double charge on my receipt.  That was money in my pocket.   They just waved me by the time I was charged for one case of beer, with two in my cart.  That was beer in the fridge.  

I am just a sheep in the herd -- trying not to step on anybody's hooves.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yep.  I went to a small enough school that they had lockers outside the door - plop a quarter in,  pull out the key, put your bag in, shut the door, buy stuff (no checking of bags on your way out), return key, get quarter back.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Boy, I wish I had the "Not this shit again" picture....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

He continued to insist, and then decided to get a manager. I almost left the store right then, but decided that I could spend a minute to talk to the manager too. The manager gave the same story about how all bags need to be checked as we leave. I told him that unless they had a reason to suspect that I had stolen something, that they had zero right to inspect my belongings or attempt to keep me from leaving. I asked if he would like to call the police to sort it out.

That's the way I feel, and seeing as how I already purchase my books online because I don't like having to pay their high fees, I have been looking for alternatives to purchasing the components there.  But if I have to then I guess I will...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I went to a small enough school that they had lockers outside the door - plop a quarter in,  pull out the key, put your bag in, shut the door, buy stuff (no checking of bags on your way out), return key, get quarter back.

What's this?
A solution that doesn't involve infringing on someones constitutional rights, and makes perfect sense.

This has to be a mistake!

No solution is supposed to exist!

Oh...I get it. All these other places are just checking bags because it is cheaper and easier for them to do it that way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering the cost of college text books, I'm not surprised.

yup, it's absolutely rediculous the prices these profs think we can afford.  And every freaking semester they need the newest, updated book so there are no used ones we can get cheaper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top