Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 6:38:13 PM EDT
Who certifies Executive Protection persons in TN? Are they just like any other armed security guard? Or is there a special certification like in Virginia?

And what does it take to get a states side EP job?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
IM sent..check it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll ask my buddy, he owns an executive protection company. Most of his work is not in Tn. though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#3]
In order to do Executive Protection in TN, you only need to be certified as a Private Security Officer.  However, there are few companies who do EP in the state.  Those companies who do EP, however, are very particular about who they hire and how much they pay.  If you want to make good money, working for a good company, you'll want to have some form of documented, civilian EP training, from a reputable school.  If you've done EP while in the military and can provide documentation that you've attended proper training, some companies may accept that documentation.

When I ETS'd, I worked doing Private Security / EP for awhile.  I worked for one of the better companies in Nashville, who also were one of the better paying companies (funny how those two go together).  Since I didn't have any formal EP training, I didn't recieve the appropriate money when I did do EP details.  The money was still decent, but I didn't find out until after my first detail that I wouldn't be getting paid the EP detail rate.  Instead, I was paid at the regular armed guard rate.  Formally trained guys were paid $20 per hour for EP work, while the armed guard rate was $12/hr.

There are a number of schools which teach EP courses.  However, they require a significant expense in both time and money.  Most are 5 to 10 day classes, costing in excess of $2,000 plus hotels, travel, meals, and ammo.  The better schools teach not only firearms proficiency (in fact, that's a small portion of the curriculum), but also driving techniques, threat assessment, unarmed combatives, and pre-mission planning.  That's a lot of info to cram into one or two weeks, so don't expect to cover anything more than the basics of each.

Good luck getting into the field.

Frank
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#4]
www.tacticalresponse.com/

I think they offer a course, and have a great rep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
So do non LEO non MIL people make it in the business?

What is the typical pay?

I have a great paying job now. I have some issues with my eyes that prevent me from being in a position where I could be sent anywhere in the world, it's a viral eye infection. And my vision is not correctable to 20/20. So the LEO/MIL thing is a no go for me. I did voulnteer as a Fire Fighter/ EMT-B for about 5 years.

So I guess there is just not a lot of demand for EP guys in TN. I figured there would be demand in Nashville.

Is it enjoyable work?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been toying with doing an ESI course for awhile anyone have experience with them?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would an executive in TN need "protection"? It's not like al quida is running amuck here & we do have CCL.

Am I missing something in my own state??????????????
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why would an executive in TN need "protection"? It's not like al quida is running amuck here & we do have CCL.

Well if ou have a large net worth you could be at a risk for being kidnapped or your family could be. Your kids can't carry a gun.

Or you may have mad a bad business deal or had corrupt connections and neep protection.

Or you could be a singer,actor,or some other public figure that is being stalked by someone.

You could be some one who just testified in court and need protection, the courts can't give everyone protection.

There are lots of things that can happen.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if ou have a large net worth you could be at a risk for being kidnapped or your family could be. Your kids can't carry a gun.

Or you may have mad a bad business deal or had corrupt connections and neep protection.

Or you could be a singer,actor,or some other public figure that is being stalked by someone.

You could be some one who just testified in court and need protection, the courts can't give everyone protection.

There are lots of things that can happen.

You be an armed security officer. When Tyson and Lewis fought in Memphis alot of EP was needed. Me I was a stationary $12 an hour bullet/bomb magnet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Both EP details I did were spent protecting women from their estranged husbands, both of whom had made threats towards their women.  One was a very-well known businessman in middle-TN, the other was a doctor in Murfreesboro who was "friendly" with a former Special Forces soldier.  By "friendly" I mean the wife believed that her husband and the former Green Beret were sexually involved.  There was a lot of concern that the husband had been taught some stuff by his "friend".

There are also a lot of recording artists and professional atheletes in the area, as well as wealthy business executives.  We were also contracted to provide security for an exclusive gated community, where a former supermodel lived.  She had a stalker or two, so no one was allowed to even acknowledge her living in town.  

The company also had a contract to provide an EP detail for some veterenarians when the State Fair was in town.  Apparently, folks here in TN take their horse competitions so seriously that threats had been routinely made to harm the judges and the vets.

As for civilians with no MIL/LEO experience getting into the field, yes, it is possible.  However, like I said earlier, you had better have had one or more EP training courses under your belt if you want to hired by a company worthy of working for.  Remember, by working EP, you're agreeing to be a bulletstop, if necessary, for $12-20 an hour.  That's not much money, and there are companies who pay even less and offer little or no support to their agents.  One reason they like to hire ex-mil/leo is because they are used to long hours of boredom, with little or no excitement and can generally maintain their awareness despite the boredom.  Another reason is due to the fact that mil/leo are used to having to be flexible with their schedules.  

If you do decide to get into the business, good luck.

Oh, I can't think of many companies I'd recommend more than Tactical Response.  Their staff are highly professional and experienced.  They are ex-MIL/LEO, many with recent experience doing EP/PSD in Iraq.

Frank
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Well if ou have a large net worth you could be at a risk for being kidnapped or your family could be.
I think there's been 2, maybe 3 kidnappings for ransom (not custody cases) in the whole state in the last 20-25 years & I think both of them were involving a bank manager to open the bank's vault?

You could be some one who just testified in court and need protection, the courts can't give everyone protection.There are lots of things that can happen.
No doubt, but wouldn't these be simple "body guards"? Or is this a PC-term like "correctional officers" instead of prison guards?

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top