Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:32:02 PM EDT
right before the elections and they will be gone again for chrismas damn.

DAMN JUST DAMN.

the base is just down the road from me. i hope freefall is not getting deployed yet.

i saw the planes comming in last night c-130s and c-17s and possibly a c-5 not sure on the c-5 though
i did see the 130s and 17s because they flew right over the house at 800 ft if not lower.

for some of these guys i think it will be the 3rd or 4th deployment. OUCH

82 AIRBORNE GONE AGAIN

U.S. to send 1,500 more troops to Iraq
Two infantry battalions will help with security surrounding voting

Updated: 3:42 p.m. ET Aug. 24, 2005

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has ordered 1,500 additional troops to Iraq to provide security in advance of two upcoming votes, the military announced Wednesday.

Two infantry battalions from the 82nd Airborne Division will deploy to Iraq before the scheduled Oct. 15 referendum on the proposed constitution, and remain through the December national elections, officials said.

They will join the 138,000 U.S. troops already there. The battalions are expected to remain in Iraq for 120 days.

The military anticipates an increase in violence in Iraq in advance of the elections, with insurgents opposed to the U.S.-backed government trying to disrupt the process.

The Pentagon has temporarily increased the size of the force in Iraq twice before political milestones — the June 2004 transfer of sovereignty and the January elections. Lt. Col. Barry Venable, a Pentagon spokesman, said those deployments helped limit the effectiveness of the insurgent campaign.

“This deployment is in support of continued progress,” he said. “We are refinancing success.”

The Pentagon has already sent additional troops to Afghanistan to bolster security for September elections there.

The 82nd Airborne Division is based at Fort Bragg, N.C. It was not immediately clear when the troops would depart.

Another battalion from the 82nd Airborne is deploying to Iraq to assist with detention operations, the military recently announced.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#1]
here is another part of it i found they will be there before the elections and stay 120 days or more damn.

see red part below.

82 AIRBORNE

Pentagon Orders 1,500 More Troops to Iraq

Wednesday August 24, 2005 8:46 PM

AP Photo IDSW105

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Pentagon has ordered 1,500 additional troops to Iraq to provide security in advance of two upcoming votes, the military announced Wednesday.

Two infantry battalions from the 82nd Airborne Division will deploy to Iraq before the scheduled Oct. 15 referendum on the proposed constitution, and remain through the December national elections, officials said.

They will join the 138,000 U.S. troops already there. The battalions are expected to remain in Iraq for 120 days.

The military anticipates an increase in violence in Iraq in advance of the elections, with insurgents opposed to the U.S.-backed government trying to disrupt the process.

The Pentagon has temporarily increased the size of the force in Iraq twice before political milestones - the June 2004 transfer of sovereignty and the January elections. Lt. Col. Barry Venable, a Pentagon spokesman, said those deployments helped limit the effectiveness of the insurgent campaign.

``This deployment is in support of continued progress,'' he said. ``We are refinancing success.''

The Pentagon has already sent additional troops to Afghanistan to bolster security for September elections there.

The 82nd Airborne Division is based at Fort Bragg, N.C. It was not immediately clear when the troops would depart.

Another battalion from the 82nd Airborne is deploying to Iraq to assist with detention operations, the military recently announced.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh crap guys, don't leave without me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The 82nd is always somewhere crappy for the holidays.

So who is getting screwed this time? 504 505 325?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
its too bad anyone has to go to that shithole but I would love to be able to go to Iraq for just 6 months as opposed to most guardsman who are pulling 18month tours away from home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i know in july they sent a Battalion to afganistan and now their sending 1500 to 2100 to iraq.i think the base will be empty again this christmas and that will be bad for the economy thats was already in shitty shape to begin with.

so much for keeping the 82nd back for contingency situations.

ok i went googling and it is the 325th and the 504th

here is linky to it.
read red part for Battalions going out.

305th 504th  gone again

Pentagon orders 1,500 more troops to Iraq

JOHN J. LUMPKIN

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon has ordered 1,500 paratroopers to Iraq to provide security in advance of two upcoming national votes, the military announced Wednesday.

Two infantry battalions from the 82nd Airborne Division will deploy to Iraq before the scheduled Oct. 15 referendum on the proposed constitution, and remain through the December national elections, the Pentagon said in a statement.

They are expected to depart the United States in mid-September and will remain in Iraq for 120 days, officials said.

The battalions will be the 2nd Battalion of the 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, the "White Falcons," and the 3rd Battalion of the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the "Blue Devils," according to a draft of an 82nd Airborne press release provided to the AP.

Both units have already been to Iraq. They will join the 138,000 U.S. troops already in the country.

The Pentagon has temporarily increased the size of the force in Iraq twice before political milestones - the June 2004 transfer of sovereignty and the January elections. Lt. Col. Barry Venable, a Pentagon spokesman, said those deployments helped limit the effectiveness of the insurgent campaign.

"This deployment is in support of continued progress," he said. "We are reinforcing success."

The troops are being sent at the request of Gen. George Casey, commander of the multinational forces in Iraq. His request was approved Tuesday by Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, the Pentagon said.

The Pentagon has already sent a third battalion from the 82nd Airborne to Afghanistan to bolster security for September elections there.

A fourth battalion from the 82nd is deploying to Iraq to assist with detention operations, the military recently announced.

The 82nd Airborne Division is based at Fort Bragg, N.C. The unit does not have many heavy vehicles and can be sent quickly to conflicts anywhere in the world.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
BTT and these units our part of the DRB or the full name division ready brigade.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#8]
When you care enough to send the very best..........................82nd Airborne!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i saw the planes comming in last night c-130s and c-17s and possibly a c-5 not sure on the c-5 though
i did see the 130s and 17s because they flew right over the house at 800 ft if not lower..

There was a big jump last night.  Those are the planes you saw.   I landed on Normandy DZ at about 0140.

These guys aren't leaving just yet.

And once again, part of Divison deploys and it doesn't include me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, I wish we still had 18 full active divisions like we did before all the cuts of the 1990's. If we did, we could better rotate troops. That would cut down on deployment time and the number of rotations the guys would have to make. Having to pull 3 or 4 tours of duty in a combat zone sucks and is a lot to ask of our boys.

What a damn shame we gutted our military in the 90's.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Whew, my bro just missed that one. He was deployed to Afg about 3 months ago and is now home on leave. He was told that when he is done he may go to Iraq.

He is 1/504th though!!! Red Devils. w00t!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Man, I wish we still had 18 full active divisions like we did before all the cuts of the 1990's. If we did, we could better rotate troops. That would cut down on deployment time and the number of rotations the guys would have to make. Having to pull 3 or 4 tours of duty in a combat zone sucks and is a lot to ask of our boys.

What a damn shame we gutted our military in the 90's.

That'd be king klinton and his then democratic congress. Too bad the damage was done by the time Republicans took over.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#14]
God Bless these guys.

Max
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aint just the 82d, its Bragg.  During the entire 90s I made it home for Christmas in 90 & 98.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#16]
They only sent 1500! We should send 150,000 more on top of the troops we have there and invade Iran and Syria. Put some "Extreme Shock" on top of the Arab/Muslim world.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I spent Christmas of 89 on the roof of a grocery store downtown Panama City in the rain, and Christmas of 90 on the Iraq/Saudia Arabia border. All courtesy of the 82nd.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i did see the 130s and 17s because they flew right over the house at 800 ft if not lower..

There was a big jump last night.  Those are the planes you saw.   I landed on Normandy DZ at about 0140.

These guys aren't leaving just yet.

And once again, part of Divison deploys and it doesn't include me.

cool yeah you guys go over sanford and right over my house hey next time you through toss out a m-4 i wont mind much.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They only sent 1500! We should send 150,000 more on top of the troops we have there and invade Iran and Syria. Put some "Extreme Shock" on top of the Arab/Muslim world.

A big +1 on that. Stomp those bastards!!!

Having said that:

AIRBORNE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#21]
more c-17s and c-130s came in tonight i think they our going to be gone real soon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#22]
"So who is getting screwed this time? 504 505 325?"

My son is in 1/325 and they are in Afghanistan right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top