Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:16:28 PM EDT
Why does my dog scratch after he pees? Usually scratches with all fours, but sometimes only the front legs..Doesnt do it all the time, some days he will scratch for almost a minute.. Scratches at the grass, kinda like a bull at a bull fight.

Anyone explain this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this an instinctive behavior.. Trying to cover something up? Im just wondering.. Hes 10 and has been doing this since he was a puppy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
He's spreading the scent of his urine for other dogs. It's a territorial thing, IIRC
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#4]
My lab does it too, I think it is just a way to try to cover the scent make it last a little longer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He's spreading the scent of his urine for other dogs. It's a territorial thing, IIRC

yep.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:27:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks... Always was wondering why he did that..
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually he's covering his scent.  Its an old habit from the wild days.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#8]
My westie does the same thing - what would the purpose behind covering his scent be?  Isn't he marking his territory when he does that?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My lab does it too, I think it is just a way to try to cover the scent make it last a little longer.

Hell, I do that too!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My westie does the same thing - what would the purpose behind covering his scent be?  Isn't he marking his territory when he does that?

Dogs mark their territory differently.  Only male dogs mark and its a small spot to show its theirs or that they respect that its someone else's.  

The covering of the scent is more typical of females and its more common with poo rather than pee.  However females particularly will cover their pee scent as not to attract males.

If you actually look at what they're doing you'll see they're using the tuff's of their feet to cover what they've done.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Females also mark teritory. So that males know that there are healthy and acceptable females for breeding. The scratching as you call it is to lift the scent into the air as well as have it on the ground. It would be equal to a male human yelling and beating his chest letting all the little girls know he is the fittest.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Females also mark teritory. So that males know that there are healthy and acceptable females for breeding. The scratching as you call it is to lift the scent into the air as well as have it on the ground. It would be equal to a male human yelling and beating his chest letting all the little girls know he is the fittest.

It would be very odd for a female to mark her territory.

Females do not seek out mates until they are in estorgeous.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Sometimes my Jack Russell will growl when he "scratches".  Especially when a dog is barking at us through the front door or fence.

It is funny as hell.

Eric  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy ripping up the grass, the dog is "enlarging" the scent footprint of the urine, it is the universal canine scent/signal for "LOOK HERE"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:21:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Whenever I get out of the hot tub at night to take a whiz in the bushes, my damn lab is right there trying to pee on my feet before I'm even done. Doesn't he know I'M THE ALPHA MALE???
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why does my dog scratch after he pees? Usually scratches with all fours, but sometimes only the front legs..Doesnt do it all the time, some days he will scratch for almost a minute.. Scratches at the grass, kinda like a bull at a bull fight.

Anyone explain this?

His feet are wet????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top