Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 4:02:10 PM EDT

www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/08/21/1182056-sun.html

Canadian Forces sniper who set a distance record by killing an al-Qaida fighter from more than two kilometres away has quit in frustration and may go into mercenary work.

Master Cpl. Arron Perry made national headlines twice in 2002: the first was anonymous, after he shot an al-Qaida fighter in Afghanistan from 2,430 metres, a world record.

The second was public and ugly. Perry, 33, and a 13-year veteran, was accused of discreditable conduct after he allegedly cut the finger off an al-Qaida corpse, defecated on another and then had his picture taken with a corpse that had a lit cigarette hanging from his lips and a sign around his neck reading "F**k Terrorism."

The investigation was eventually dropped and no charges were ever laid, but Perry's reputation was left in tatters.

A military ombudsman's investigation was launched into whether Perry and other snipers, who were seconded to an American unit to provide cover fire and support, were unfairly treated after their return from Afghanistan.

Five of the snipers received the Bronze Star from the U.S. military for their efforts, which included killing about 20 members of al-Qaida.

Perry, originally from Newfoundland, quit at the end of April.

"I retired because I didn't feel that I was being treated properly and I felt abandoned by the military," he said. "I don't trust anyone. "

Perry is still surprised at how upset some people got after his picture ran in a national newspaper next to the corpse.

"It's a dead body. Who cares? You know what, I was glad about that picture. Remember what that sign said? 'F**k Terrorism.' And I still say, 'f**k terrorism.'

"I saw the sign up there before the picture, and if I didn't like it, I would've taken it off."

Unlike some of his peers, Perry says he suffered no emotional problems following the mission and his conscience has never been bothered by the killing.

"It's never overly bothered me. I like what I do."

He said he seldom thinks about death.

"I was carrying this wounded American to safety once and he was bleeding real bad, and I don't know whether he lived or died. It never really occurred to me."

Perry, who was in charge of his sniper unit while in the field, said he'd like to have been made an instructor with the Forces after returning.

Despite his lengthy service, he'd never even picked up a sniper rifle, or even gone hunting in civilian life, before enrolling in the snipers in 1999.

His unit was so effective that their American counterparts wanted to work with them whenever possible, and some observers have credited them with almost single-handedly getting Canada onto the list of countries targeted for al-Qaida revenge.

Perry said he just has a natural talent for gathering intelligence and killing from distance. There's not much call for that in Canada so he is looking abroad for work.

"My passion is the military and what I was doing. I would want to carry on with that kind of role somewhere in the world, maybe in security or mercenary work," he said.

The ombudsman's office continues to investigate and expects to have a report ready this fall.

"We continue to have some issues with getting information from Defence but the ombudsman has indicated it will be a top priority," said spokesman Isabelle Rodier.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
War brings out the best and worst in people. It is ugly. People die. That's why it is called WAR.

We ask people to do these types of jobs. We should let them do it.

Men like him should be honored, not investigated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
He sounds like a pretty good guy.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Give me an address, I'll send him a case of beer.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel sure he can find a job down here, either as a private contractor or with some other outfit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#5]
He should just sign up for the US Army. Put his talent to good use in Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#6]
He should be honored for what he has done for his country. As for the antics with the dead terrorist , I applaud him . I can think of much worse to do with one of their dead bodies.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep him in the military where he belongs. My money says he would be a ticking time bomb as
a civilian.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Why, so he could do his job and be sold out by our politicians as well!  Good on him for going private!  American politicians/public would not stop until he was imprisoned, so why come to the U.S. military?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
He needs to do some missionary work for the Christians In Action if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He needs to do some missionary work for the Christians In Action if you know what I mean.

yep
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He should be honored for what he has done for his country. As for the antics with the dead terrorist , I applaud him . I can think of much worse to do with one of their dead bodies.  

First, he is in Canada, which is a country of Hillary Clintons, so he is S.O.L. on that angle.

Second, those he killed did, and continue to do much worse to the living.  Its a shame people can't understand that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yeah, that way his missions and name can be kept secret. The CIA could really use a guy who likes to end scumbags' lives.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First, he is in Canada, which is a country of Hillary Clintons, so he is S.O.L. on that angle.

Second, those he killed did, and continue to do much worse to the living.  Its a shame people can't understand that.

He is SOL if he remains in Canada.  There are folks down here who would appreciate his skillset, Blackwater being one, the CIA's SAS being another.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He sounds like a pretty good guy.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

+1

HH
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I agree.  It's a shame that he was mistreated and not offered the respect and honor he deserves.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Keep him in the military where he belongs. My money says he would be a ticking time bomb as
a civilian.

Actually, he sounds like he could be my best friend.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#17]
True warrior in a place he shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
He is a hero.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
War brings out the best and worst in people. It is ugly. People die. That's why it is called WAR.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Scott
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Canada is eat up with the PC bullshit.  I hate political correctness more than anything else.  It ain't nothing but Neville Chamberlainism wearing a different hat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
We should hire them to take out Hugo Chavez.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
im proud of everything he did.  the shitting on the corpse was not my style, but I won't judge him for it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He is a hero.

+1

CIA has an opening for him, I'm sure.

If so  two things will happen --

You will hear no more of the man
Bad people will start getting killed from long distances.

If he lives, he will receive a lucite encased CIA seal in a secret ceremony.  If not, an engraved star with no name associated with it on that memorial at Langley -- and most importantly, OUR NATION'S GRATITUDE (as opposed to the PC assholes in the Canadian government)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Sounds like a man that was born too far north.

Make him a Marine I say.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Hopefully Blackwater or even the US Army would pick him up... of course the latter would be harder.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hopefully Blackwater or even the US Army would pick him up... of course the latter would be harder.

Don't forget the USMC -- they LOVE skilled snipers
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
had his picture taken with a corpse that had a lit cigarette hanging from his lips and a sign around his neck reading "F**k Terrorism."

Anybody have this pic?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like the kind of fella Canada has far too few of these days. What a damn shame.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#30]
That guy could pick up some easy cash pimping gear for a major rifle manufacturer.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#31]
A strong man in a time of girley men and pettycoat wearing politicians.  He would have fit in with Daniel Boone, Lewis Wetzel, Davy Crockett, Hugh Smith, Jim Bridger, Jack Hayes and other legendary men of our frontier.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

damn straight!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#34]
he's ok by me...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
We were always concerned about our Marines who tried stunts like that. Such activities are frequently signs of deeper trouble, and while nobody really felt bad for the bad guys, none of us wanted to see one of our guys turn into a headcase. The few old Marines we still had told us that the guys that did that sort of shit in Vietnam were, for the most part, bordering on some serious mental issues.

Besides, the last thing the US military needs is another generation of hippies with evidence of misconduct to use against our returning veterans.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Cpl. Perry

reportedly a photo of Cpl. Perry examining a dead enemy
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2005/08/21/1182056-sun.html

Perry, 33, and a 13-year veteran, was accused of discreditable conduct after he allegedly cut the finger off an al-Qaida corpse, defecated on another and then had his picture taken with a corpse that had a lit cigarette hanging from his lips and a sign around his neck reading "F**k Terrorism."

Fuckin A! I like this guy!

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Cpl. Perry

reportedly a photo of Cpl. Perry examining a dead enemy

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like a guy with his heart in the right place.

However, if you were this guy's commanding officer, you'd HAVE to do something about his reported behaviors.  The military must maintain discipline.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
We were always concerned about our Marines who tried stunts like that. Such activities are frequently signs of deeper trouble, and while nobody really felt bad for the bad guys, none of us wanted to see one of our guys turn into a headcase. The few old Marines we still had told us that the guys that did that sort of shit in Vietnam were, for the most part, bordering on some serious mental issues.

Besides, the last thing the US military needs is another generation of hippies with evidence of misconduct to use against our returning veterans.

I guess the "ear collectors" from Vietnam would fall into that category.  It is a little strange to cut off a dead man's finger.  However, sticking a friggin cigarette in a dead terrorists mouth and having a picture made of it is very humorous in my book.  I also like the idea of putting "death cards" on the dead, as a psychological warfare tactic.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#41]
He dropped a duke on a dead terrorist?!  Nice!

Get me an address,  I'll send him some beer and some sort of roughage for his next outing.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Seriously, how many of you have wished you could defecate on a dead terrorist at least once?!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Unlike some of his peers, Perry says he suffered no emotional problems following the mission and his conscience has never been bothered by the killing.

"I was carrying this wounded American to safety once and he was bleeding real bad, and I don't know whether he lived or died. It never really occurred to me."

That's one *cold* MFer.

I'm just glad he's on our side, for now.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one *cold* MFer.

There's a certain detachment from death those who deal it for a living have after experiencing it day in and day out at the tip of the spear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Some observers have credited them with almost single-handedly getting Canada onto the list of countries targeted for al-Qaida revenge.

There's something I would love to have on my resume
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Aaron Perry- My favorite Canadian!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one *cold* MFer.

There's a certain detachment from death those who deal it for a living have after experiencing it day in and day out at the tip of the spear.

That's just being professional.

ETA: The detachment, not the defication on dead bodies. That's just comical.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#48]

I could only HOPE to shake that man's hand someday.....

Fuck all those whining little pukes up there.  He fucking ROCKS !

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My money says he would be a ticking time bomb as a civilian.

Why?  Because he can do the right thing and do it well, without eventually ending up on Oprah to whine about it?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#50]
This is how warriors have been treated ever since Vietnam.

GM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top