Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 8:53:29 PM EDT
I'm going to OBC at Ft. Leonardwood next summer and would like to conceal carry my handgun there.  Has anyone been housed on a military base and carries off post?  Wondering if they would let you keep the gun in the apartment or does it have to be locked up in the armory?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're staying in barracks of any kind, it has to be in the arms room.

I think any kind of on post housing is up to the post commander.  I know at Bragg people who live in on post housing can have their guns with them, they just have to register them with the provost marshall.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
When I did live on a base firearms had to be secured in the armory. Traveling on and off various bases I have been stopped and searched for having empty casings in the back of my truck and had to remove them. The bases I have been to latley had "No firearms allowed" signs at the gates. Not sure how it works if youlive in on-base housing though now, it is probably up to the base command.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty much up to the base commander, and in my experience, all the commanders are pussies afraid of an incident on their records, so they clamp down.

After 9/11, I can only imagine it's worse....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was Stationed at Cherry Point, SNCO's could have firearms in their BEQ, but they had to be double locked, and the room door counted as 1 lock.

NCO's and junior enlisted, if living in the BEQ, had to keep their firearms at the armory, and could only check out weapons during the week when the armory was open.

If you lived in base housing, you had to register your firearms with PMO, and were limited to 200 rounds of each type of ammo (2000 5.56, 2000 .45, ect.).

And you can't carry on base.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
At OBC you must have it secured in the arms room.

There are random searches at the gate at Leonard Wood also.

What branch?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
it's illegal to carry concealed on any federal property, period. the only folks allowed to carry are law enforcement and security folks.

actually, you can't carry open, either, unless you're at a range or other shooting facility.

you can't transport a loaded weapon in your vehicle. it has to be unloaded, locked up, and the ammo stored as far away as possible.

we could change this if we wanted but we won't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top