Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 2:42:48 PM EDT
 Went to Sam's club today, like I do every month or so.  
It was packed with shoppers, and a pain in the ass to manuever, because of all the fat broads in spandex and their screaming rugrats taking up all the isle room.
Finally completed the shopping list, and went to the checkout  counter.
Waited for about 10 minutes because all the checkout lines were so long.  
 The checkout Gal scanned all my items, and I swiped my Visa Card through the card machine.
But wait..!!!! ...the  transaction didn't go through!!!
Gal says.."what kind of card do you have?"  I said "I have a Visa card"
She says "We don't take Visa Cards anymore, only Discovery Cards or a Sam's Credit card.
WTF I said !!!
And having no other choice, I walked away from a cart filled with nearly $200 dollars of merchandise...into the sunset...never to return...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Been that way for at least a year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Been that way for at least a year.

Yep
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they have never taken visa here.

discover or debit cards only

I've only been going to Sam's for a year, so for all I know you're right.

PO'ed me the first time I visited the store too.  But it keeps me from spending money I don't have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am proud to say that I have not stepped foot in ANY store belonging to those fucktards since they treated me like a petty thief (the receipt check bullshite) a year ago.

I am 39 yo and make a pretty decent living (more than decent when you figure my wife's income).  I would hope those retards would do a future value calculation of all the money they left in their competitors' cash registers because they pissed me off.

Fuck Sam Walton and the little red pickup truck he rode in on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Wal-Mart/Sam's Clubs are wanting to do their own credit transactions.
They don't want to pay the CC fees.

Wal-Mart is the devil.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#7]
the Sams here hasn't taken visa or mastercard in the 6 years I've been going there

I have a discover, which pays me to use it, so I don't mind that much
now, they get rid of discover and start only accepting their store CC (which is probably going to happen soon) then I'll stop going
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ours has never taken anything other that "D"
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And having no other choice, I walked away from a cart filled with nearly $200 dollars of merchandise...into the sunset...never to return...

You didn't put that stuff back? WTF, you should have known the policy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I always show up with several ways to pay...I've always been nervous about being in an embarrasing situation like yours
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#11]
dang.... I thought costco was bad for taking AmEx only or debit, but Discover?????
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
andrew is a Sam's Club Noob.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Screw that, they are just trying to force you to use their credit card.  All those stores say they are giving you 10% off for using their card.  BS.  They should be saying they are charging you 10% more for NOT using their card.   You practically have to have 38 credit cards in your wallet if you don't want to pay extra.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Mr. Walton can eat my shorts.
Barnyard prick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I checked their website.  They take VISA online, but not in their stores....WTF?????
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Happened to me about 6 weeks ago.  I and my son went and we had the most buitiful (sp) ribs that God has every made.  It almost made me cry when we had to leave that store empty handed.

Been shopping there +10 years, I should've known.

Tonight, we are going to be eating the most tender and flavorful steak my wife has ever cooked - bought at Sam's.

Now, Costco, sucks major donkey balls - because they donate to the Demo's, something I will never forgive them for.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I love Sam's Club.  Given their constantly rotating inventory, it's like a glorified flea market.

I buy all my steaks there.

How the hell could you NOT know they only take Discover or the Sam's charge card.

Though...in my limited experience...Costco is better.  There's just not one close to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
am I the only  one who DOESN'T shop at wallyworld?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about all of the fat broads. At the Sam's club in Athens there are usually lots of coeds wearing tight shirts with no bras on. Oh yeah, don't ever try to use someone else's check at a Sam's either. My dad is the treasurer of his homeowner’s assn. (14 condos) and tried to use a homeowner’s check to buy some picnic supplies. The manager came out and said, "Ok, we'll let you use it this time, but never do this again!" I think someone was having a bad day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
There is this other thing I've heard of, spoken about by wierdos from time to time. I think they call it, "kash" or something like that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I use my Sam's Club "personal credit" account when I shop there.

Works good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
am I the only  one who DOESN'T shop at wallyworld?

I don't. Can't stand the huge crowds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Screw that, they are just trying to force you to use their credit card.  All those stores say they are giving you 10% off for using their card.  BS.  They should be saying they are charging you 10% more for NOT using their card.   You practically have to have 38 credit cards in your wallet if you don't want to pay extra.

Usually its not 10%, but around 3%.  That is around the amount the store has to pay visa, amex and mastercard on every transaction.  So cash or specific card discounts are not BS attempting to steer you to their specific card as much as both you and the store saving money on a transaction.

I don't have a discover or an amex because I want credit cards that funtion everywhere in the world, and like you I don't want a ton of them.  I have the visa debit bank card, one visa and one mastercard credit cards.  I would prefer to only have visa cards, but mastercard is the American Airlines mileage card so I also have the AAdvantage Mastercard that I use that for most transactions for the miles.  Visa and Mastercard used to be everywhere, with visa having a slight edge, but since mastercard raised their merchant fees(used to be the same as visa) I've noticed mastercard is fading away in poorer foreign countries.  The reason I have two is incase one is lost or has problems I won't be stuck in an emergency.  If I went to Sams regularly, I'd get a discover card, but don't see a reason to right now, stick with cash.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
About seven or eight years ago my wife and I were at Sam's. We decided to stock up on some needs and a few wants. We got to the check out and they wouldn't take MC nor would they take Visa. Discover was it. We ended up leaving a cart, with about $200 worth of merchandise sitting at the register. We have never been back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top