Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 1:05:46 PM EDT
I just finished watching season 1 at work, & after I got the blood in my ears cleaned up from the rough talk, & am wondering what a hoople head is, & where it comes from. I don't doubt it's an authentic term as the series seems to be pretty well made & I really enjoyed it.

I told my sister to get her butt out there & buy season 2 so I can barrow that from her too!

I also found it interesting to see Jewel the cripple girl who cleans up at Swearingers place is the girl who used to be on "The Facts of Life" tv show. That & they used lots of real cowboys for the background people.

I have been to Deadwood many times as I used to live in Rapid City S.D. & I could really enjoy having been there even more because of this interesting, albeit mean show about the drama that birthed Deadwood.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Hoopleheads were originally ousiders from that community...and scandinavians, as stated below.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoople head, as it is used in the show, is a derogatory term that refers to settlers of Scandinavian origin.

I have no idea as to origin or original meaning.

Your gonna love the 2nd season. It will make you very thankful for modern medacine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Its a great show.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally "Hooplehead" referred to the people that made the hoops that went around wooden barrels. The job took little skill and not much brains.....thus "hooplehead" meant a stupid unskilled laborer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Great show!  Unfortunately I didn't get into it the first time around (watched Season 1 on DVD).

Not to hijack, but when is Season 2 going to be released??
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the term referred to the gold prospectors and general street traffic of any ethnic background, while "square-heads" were the Scandinavians.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought the term referred to the gold prospectors and general street traffic of any ethnic background, while "square-heads" were the Scandinavians.

I loved watching "The Long Riders in Maplewood MN. Made me laugh when they called the Scandahovians square heads.

Then I saw Geronimo in Texas & Robert Duval said Texan's were the lowest form of white man there is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hoopleheads were originally ousiders from that community...and scandinavians, as stated below.

As already noticed, "Square-heads".

"Hoople Heads" are dope fiends.
Hoople is also a city in North Dakota, so I may be wrong on this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top