Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 12:15:40 PM EDT
Odds are this has been on ARFCOM before, but I didn't find it in a search and it warms the heart:

www.aatsystems.com/Videos/Bigger_Hammer.wmv

Description:

The video was filmed by some Air Force Joint Tactical Air Controllers (JTAC) in Tal Afar, west of Mosul. They were with a Marine Advisor Support Team - they are attached to Iraqi units and help train their forces on a day- to-day basis - who where in a fairly sustained firefight in the streets of Tal Afar with about 3 Anti-Iraqi Forces (AIF). They set their video camera on the bumper of their Up-Armored HMMWV which they were using for cover.

You can hear them shooting back and forth. The rounds you can hear are from the Marines and the ones you hear pinging against the side of the vehicle with no accompanying pop are from the AIF.

When the JTACs say they just "fired rifle" that means the aircraft just launched the Maverick. You can hear it come in and see it strike the vehicle the AIF were using for cover.

PWN3D.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]

WOO HOO HOO HOOO!

I'll say!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
SWEET!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
"That's gonna leave a mark."

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Too damn cool.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
that one took first place in the Dupe-off we had....
have not seen it for a while...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the video.  I'll be sure to watch it when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

While I agree and I'm not going to question operational decisions and tactics, a couplea hundred thousand dollar Maverick is a hell of a bit of overkill for what the clip description describes as a group of baddies.

Seems like some form of a mortar or shoulder fired rocket might have been a bit cheaper, assuming as appears there was line of sight good enough to light up the target with a laser.

Of course, it is fun to watch the bad guys get pwned.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
The little thing flying up in the air to the left appears to be one of the insurgents

Upon futher review it may be the door to the truck but I am still not sure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The little thing flying up in the air to the left appears to be one of the insurgents

Upon futher review it may be the door to the truck but I am still not sure.

I was thinking that too, but the more I watch it, the more I think it is just part of the vehicle.  Didn't matter much to the tango either way.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

While I agree and I'm not going to question operational decisions and tactics, a couplea hundred thousand dollar Maverick is a hell of a bit of overkill for what the clip description describes as a group of baddies.

Seems like some form of a mortar or shoulder fired rocket might have been a bit cheaper, assuming as appears there was line of sight good enough to light up the target with a laser.

Of course, it is fun to watch the bad guys get pwned.

YOu've got a semi-legitimate point.

The counter point would be that the ONLY thing the terrorists respect is brute force. Well, that WAS brute force.

It has more than entertainment  value for  us.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#11]
nice
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#13]
That'll buff out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Now that's why they tell you to never to forget to look up...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top