Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 7:20:11 AM EDT

My parents have always been divided 50/50.  My dad had .22s in high school and used to shoot rats at the town dump.  My mom was always in the 'guns are bad' camp.  Since I didn't get into guns until I was in well into my 20s there was little she could do (nor would she have, for that matter, she isn't a controlling parent).  I'll be 31 tomorrow btw.

So I took her out.  She didn't particularly like the Glock 19, she didn't finish an entire mag.  That little sig trailside though won the day.  She thought it was very cool, and the Leopold/Gilmore red dot sight was an 'ingenious idea'.  She shot remarkably well.  Kept everything on target at 50 feet.

I told her I had other .22s and that she should try firing a rifle as well.  She just called to find out when we're going to go again!  (I'll give her a few visits before I try the AR15, thought she has seen it before.)

She seemed surprised by all the rules and safety concerns going on.  The best line when we talked a bout it afterwards was That wasn't at all like I thought it would be.

Next up, there are some ex-idf guys in the office I plan to take to the range who haven't shot an ar15 in ages, and I'm going to sneak an anti or two in with the group.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I never meet people who have never fired a gun anymore.
<-----------------------
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
i have a few in the family...............................my wife for one never shot a gun before till i took her out now she outshoots me ALOT of the time.

sister in law....................working on the other one

mother in law................a couple nieces and nephews.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Next up, there are some ex-idf guys in the office I plan to take to the range who haven't shot an ar15 in ages, and I'm going to sneak an anti or two in with the group.

You are evil.  In a good kind of way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The best line when we talked a bout it afterwards was That wasn't at all like I thought it would be.

I hear that often.  Did she tell you what was it that she was expecting?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:33:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you have a 10 round mag for your AR it will make it more appealing to her most likely for her first time.   Then when she asks to shoot it some more break out a 30 rounder and if she asks for more give her the BETA!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like to throw the Ciener in a lightweight AR and let the newbies go to town . I can change out the carry handle for a scope or red dot and have a couple different butstocks (on different uppers ) so I can fit the gun to the person .
When the rimfire gets old before I turn them loose with the 5.56 I like to double up hearing protection,I like foam plugs with electronic peltors . Heavy duty ear protection but I can give directions and instruction without screaming my lungs off .
Reactive targets at a fairly close range is the ticket to keep interest levels up
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Growing up in the PRNJ, many friends had never seen a gun much less fired one...until they met me Pretty much everyone that has gone to the range with me took to shooting like a fish to water. About half have been bitten byt he bug and went on to purchase their own firearms...others just continue to tag along once in a while.

Anti's are funny people...the despise weapons in the hands of those they know personally and supposedly trust, yet they have no issue with a weapon in the hand a complete stranger so long as they have a badge attached to their shirt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are evil.  In a good kind of way.

+1     The subterfuge-fu is STRONG in this one !

Way to go Jon !

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Growing up in the PRNJ, many friends had never seen a gun much less fired one...until they met me Pretty much everyone that has gone to the range with me took to shooting like a fish to water. About half have been bitten byt he bug and went on to purchase their own firearms...others just continue to tag along once in a while.

Anti's are funny people...the despise weapons in the hands of those they know personally and supposedly trust, yet they have no issue with a weapon in the hand a complete stranger so long as they have a badge attached to their shirt.

Isn't that just nuts! That is exactly my mother's opinion. I can't f'ing stand it!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#11]
i got my mom to start shooting. as of now she owns a sw lady in 38+p hehehe, got my brother into it too. my dad loves shooting but his eyes are fubar  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top