Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:54:34 AM EDT
Cuz I have 10lbs of it

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You can make 5 gal plastic buckets implode by packing them with some of it and sealing a lid.

Of course that would seem such a waste, being you could first fill the bucket with some type of grain and seal it for long term food storage with the aid of a little dry ice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I had some last night, so I took it home and entertained 10-year-old BlammO Jr. by putting it in a trash can full of hot water in a small room.

It's fun to take small chunks, sneak up behind a coworker and throw it at the wall near their head with maximum force.  It makes a lound thunk and vanishes with a poof of white fog.  It leaves no trace.    Just don't let it stay in contact with your skin for more than a second or two.  Frostbite is a biotch.

You can freak out neophytes by putting some in your Coke and drinking it.  It won't hurt you, but it will make your drink go flat.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Take small chunks of it, and put them in a 20 oz. soda bottle.  Add hot water, screw the cap on, toss it and run.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
We would take wide mouth nalgene sample containers, add a little water, throw in a chunck of dry ice, put the cap on really tight, and toss it. Give it a few minutes, and you get a boom that sounds like a grenade going off
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Yall are gonna get me in trouble!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Put some in a 16oz plastic soft drink bottle with some hot water, put the cap on tight and toss it.  Should be good for a boom.

ETA:  Dang, I'm slow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#9]
You can freeze off warts with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You can make 5 gal plastic buckets implode by packing them with some of it and sealing a lid.

Of course that would seem such a waste, being you could first fill the bucket with some type of grain and seal it for long term food storage with the aid of a little dry ice.

You mean EXplode.

You can do the same thing with plastic two liter bottles.  Put several chips in the bottle, add some hot water, cap up real tight an throw far away.

So loud you wont believe it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not a dry ice expert, so fill me in,  If stuff is heated, and put in a canning jar, sealed then as it cools it shrinks and pulls a vacuum seal.

So just how does sealing dry ice in a bucket pull a vacuum and implode?  I would think as it warmed and returned to a gas it would expand and explode not implode the bucket.

It just purges the oxygen from inside the container. That's why you leave a tiny gap in the lid until it's had time to work most of it's magic.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Put some in a 16oz plastic soft drink bottle with some hot water, put the cap on tight and toss it.  Should be good for a boom.

If you're going to try this...BE CAREFUL! I've seen a 2 Liter bottle done like this blow apart the cooler that it was in...big boom!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not going to seal it in anything that would hold pressure and explode. I put a rather large chunk in a rubber glove and tied it off to see how bit it would get by expanding slowly.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cuz I have 10lbs of it

-Foxxz

Serve a dry martini.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#15]
SIITPAPP
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you do, make sure there's a video camera around.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Take small chunks of it, and put them in a 20 oz. soda bottle.  Add hot water, screw the cap on, toss it and run.  MJD

2 liters are louder.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Be sure and stick your tongue to it.  After you get back from the hospital, post pics.

Won't work.  Nothing "sticks" to dry ice.  It sublimes, that is, it turns from solid to gas.   But if held in close contact...

I have swallowed small pellets of dry ice on a bet.  Just made me burb....

Near the coast?  Feed small pellets to seagulls!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#19]
What would happen if you flushed it down the toilet?

Similar results as with the 1 liter bottle trick only busted pipes?

Or, would the resulting gas back-up,  make its way through the sewer lines and vent itself through other peoples toilets.

<caller to 911>

"Send the fire department, quick". "There's smoke coming out of my toilet".

<dispatcher>

"Excuse me, lady, but isn't a little bit early in the day to be drinking"?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:17:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Dr pepper and dry ice. nuff said
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Fill a sink with hot water and squirt in several good doses of dishwashing liquid.  Stir it up and drop in your dry ice.  Do this at work and watch the fun.  Suds will climb out of the sink and cover the floor!  Caution, this makes one hell of a mess!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#23]
2 liter bottles, few inches of water, handful of crushed dry ice. Screw lid back on and toss. Run. BOOM

water dont have to be hot, it dont really matter.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:23:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Be sure and stick your tongue to it.  After you get back from the hospital, post pics.

Won't work.  Nothing "sticks" to dry ice.  It sublimes, that is, it turns from solid to gas.   But if held in close contact...

I thought it burned.  No?

Takes a while on the tongue.  All that gas generated from the subliming dry ice "insulates" and lowers the rate of heat transfer.  Since the tongue is highly vascularized, it takes a while to freeze.

But it works well in removing warts, moles and other skin ailments.  I removed a mole that was getting near the suspicious zone on ABC-  thats area, border color for skin cancer.  The melanocytes (pigment cells) goe haywire and over-replicate.  This can lead to cancer.  Freezing the skin removes these cells.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Put some in the cat's water bowl.  My cat spent about 20 minutes attacking the vapors.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Chill some beer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#27]
My buddies and I used to get dry ice at the grocery store seafood counters or ice cream shops and make 2-liter bottle bombs.  Fun and loud.  We'd use a little warm water as a heat source (so we wouldn't have to wait too long), break the dry ice into pieces that would fit into the bottle, drop the pieces in, screw the top on and back off.  

We used to put inverted plastic waste paper baskets over them and the pressure released from the bursting bottle would launch them above the third story dorm windows.

WARNING We ran out of plastic bottles once when I was pretty loaded, so I tried the glass Tequila bottle I had just emptied.  I am lucky to be writing this.  I dropped the bottle into a dumpster just as it exploded and we were showered with teeny tiny pieces of glass that had blown up out of the dumpster.  We did not find any pieces bigger than 1/4".  NEVER USE GLASS.

I've always wanted to do an old Nalgene bottle, mortar tube or other onject that would hold more pressure and yield a louder report.  Just be careful and put some time and distance between you and the eruption.  Remember, more dry ice, more heat or less airspace will make things happen more quickly.

P.S.  I've done the martini thing, too.  Dry Ice will makes for a cold dry martini.  Just make sure there are no little pieces left in your drink.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#28]
where do you get dry ice?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:36:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#30]
The next time you make dinner plate your food and serve it with wine glasses filled with water and some dry ice.

It will leave this fog flowing around your food and looks pretty cool.
Impress the in-laws with it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1  I put it in my mouth to feel it fizz.  Makes your my mouth tastes like Perrier!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#32]
put it in a paint can and seal the lid
boom
paint every where
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
where do you get dry ice?

Walmart..............

.............In free states only........

In NJ, It was not available, but in CO, it is.          Try  Googling for a local supplier, maybe it's restricted to people of legal age?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:53:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Look for companies that sell oxygen, CO2, and assorted gases. Its pretty cheap stuff.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#35]
When I worked at Ft Detrick in a lab, we used to take small chunks and, put them in Nunc tubes, and, then, close the lid.  We'd toss them in a garbage can in the neighboring lab.

*BAM*

Like a fircracker
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

CAREFUL NOW, our local DA will try to indict you for Possession of a Prohibited Weapon - Explosive Device, a 3rd Degree Felony. Plus, it's all fun-n-games until some loses an eye (or finger)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not a dry ice expert, so fill me in,  If stuff is heated, and put in a canning jar, sealed then as it cools it shrinks and pulls a vacuum seal.

So just how does sealing dry ice in a bucket pull a vacuum and implode?  I would think as it warmed and returned to a gas it would expand and explode not implode the bucket.

It just purges the oxygen from inside the container. That's why you leave a tiny gap in the lid until it's had time to work most of it's magic.

CO2 is heavier than air, so as the dry ice sublimates (goes solid -> gas), the new CO2 sinks to the bottom, slowly lifting all of the air up to spill over the edge. Reduces oxidation spoilage, and makes it a big-resistant environment sicne they can't breathe.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Half liter bottle bomb behind the couch at a party really gets the place jumpin.

And no, I didn't do it. Just turned and saw it go off and 5 people learn to fly and drop a load at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're going to try this...BE CAREFUL! I've seen a 2 Liter bottle done like this blow apart the cooler that it was in...big boom!

Done similar thing with Plummer's Helper in a bottle with small balls of aluminum foil.  Screw the cap on and run.  Louder than hell.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Guys, those of you who are playing with dry ice bombs in 2 liter bottles.

Be careful.     I have seen the things convert the dry ice to gas so quickly that it will pressurize a 2 liter bottle within about 10 seconds of screwing on the cap so that you can't even squeeze the sides.

To buy yourself a little bit of time while the expanding gas is presurizing the vessel, squeeze the sides of the soda bottle so that the expanding gas has to inflate the bottle before pressure starts to build.

I would recommend NOT using hot water as it can cause gas to be created way too quickly.    Use cooler tap water with a couple additional chunks of dry ice.     The amount of potential gas created is dictated by the amount of dry ice you use, using a couple extra chunks helps assure that it will make enough pressure to burst the vessel(LAST THING YOU WANT IS A PRESSURIZED BOTTLE THAT DIDN"T BLOW AND THEN GOING OVER TO PICK IT UP!).      Using cold water will help the conversion from dry ice to CO2, using hot water though makes it happen too quickly for my comfort.

A 2 liter bottle with about 3 inches of water in the bottom of it and 6-7 chunks of dry ice around the size of a nickle in roundness will cause a hell of a racket.     These things are DAMN LOUD.    A 2 liter bottle can hold a whopping assload of pressure.    Even the smaller little water bottles hold a ton of pressure.

HEED THE WARNINGS ABOUT GLASS, GLASS IS VERY WEAK BY COMPARISON!

Back when I was experimenting with these things as a kid I kept a 22lr. shooting CB shorts as a back up for if one of the things didn't go off due to not using enough dry ice.      Why the 22cbs?    Because my 22 Benjamin Sheridan pump pellet gun didn't have enough strength with 5-6 pumps to burst a 2liter bottle that had been very highly pressurized by the CO2, the pellets would literally bounce off.

Somewhere on Big-Boys.com they have a video of kids playing with dry ice bombs in a big gym or indoor basketball court.     Some idiot tries to pick one up after it had been pressurized and thrown several times, goes off in his hand and nearly takes his thumb off and it was a "small" 16 ounce soda bottle sized dry ice bomb.

Now that all that is out of the way.

I very nearly set off a small one at work the other day, a package from QVC came through that was literally obliterated and the dry ice was sitting in the cooler just mocking me.     Looked over at a worker and said "ever make a dry ice bomb?"      He had no idea what I was talking about so I showed him the steps while using a very small amount of dry ice as a demonstration, once he felt the bottle inflating with only 1-2 chunks of dry ice in it he quickly grasped how the thing works.      I quickly removed the cap though, didn't feel like creating panic in a wearhouse with 50+ workers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Ha, he's not BSing you about those 2 liter bombs.

Someone set one off down at an airsoft game in the old Fort Ord stockade near the entrace to the main cell block... I shit you not, the building shook!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#42]
The legality of playing with them is likely dubious at best....

Back when I used to play with them, friends a few blocks away could tell when I had set them off.    They would rattle windows on the 4th of July like no M80 type firework could do.     There is a LOT of high pressure air inside that container when it bursts.

I also broke the silence of a nice quiet nature retreat once when setting one off in a camp site.    Was the first time I did a small water bottle and I figured it wouldn't be that loud.    Echo'd like hell all through the mountains and probably made a nearby mountain lion shit a kitten.

I am of the mind set that using as little water as possible helps make a bigger boom, the more volume of high pressure air venting into the atmosphere at the moment the vessel bursts the better.

I also tried to play around with making 2 liter water rockets by drilling a hole in the cap of a 2 liter bottle and then putting a cork in the hole, once pressure rose to a certain level it would in theory blow out the cork and vent the water out the back creating thrust.     In practice the cork didn't always blow out and the thing done blow'd up all over the launch pad.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

yeah, some dumbass did the same thing with alcohol and chlorine and blew his hands and eardrums out! Except it was with a small coke bottle and a mailboxwww.big-boys.com/articles/bottlebomb1.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, some dumbass did the same thing with alcohol and chlorine and blew his hands and eardrums out! Except it was with a small coke bottle and a mailboxwww.big-boys.com/articles/bottlebomb1.html

Jesus, wouldn't want to see the results of that.      Couple of real chemistry minded idiots there....     Hmmmm, let's violently aggitate this here chemical reaction.

I wonder how fast it was creating gas.    If the idiots had squeezed the sides of the bottle while screwing on the cap it would have bought them atleast one or two more seconds.    If anything though it would atleast let me see how fast the bottle inflated from the converted gasses, if a bottle manages to inflate within 2 seconds after squeezing the sides and screwing on the cap that is a terribly bad thing.

here's the video of the dumbass who manages to almost severe his thumb.

www.big-boys.com/articles/dryicebomb.html
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CAREFUL NOW, our local DA will try to indict you for Possession of a Prohibited Weapon - Explosive Device, a 3rd Degree Felony. Plus, it's all fun-n-games until some loses an eye (or finger)

Ours too! I think the BATFE has a hardon for these now too.

ETA: I was sitting in on a briefing done by the PHX Bomb Squad at the Phx Police Dept. The main dude said something to the effect that overpressure for a human is around 8psi (i think). He went on to say that 2 liter bottles are rated at 120psi by the .gov just so they can be on store shelves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ours too! I think the BATFE has a hardon for these now too.

ETA: I was sitting in on a briefing done by the PHX Bomb Squad at the Phx Police Dept. The main dude said something to the effect that overpressure for a human is around 8psi (i think). He went on to say that 2 liter bottles are rated at 120psi by the .gov just so they can be on store shelves.

Jesus, lets ban dry ice, water, and plastic bottles....its for the children
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Put it in your trunk and drive by as many cops as you can find.  The vapors coming out of your trunk should be enough to get you pulled over!

P.S.  Be sure to have your windows down though, this stuff can didsplace a lot of  O2 quickly!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Maybe its just me But it seems that the 1 liter and 20 oz bottles plastic is thicker then the 2 liters there for taking more pressure to blow.

cuz almost all the  horror stories ive seen are with either 1 liter or 20 oz bottles.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#49]
double post.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
When I worked at Ft Detrick in a lab, we used to take small chunks and, put them in Nunc tubes, and, then, close the lid.  We'd toss them in a garbage can in the neighboring lab.

*BAM*

Like a fircracker

Sounds like what I used to do.  I would put a small chunk, about the size of a grain of rice, in a plastic snap top micro centrifuge vial.  The vials then went into a bucket chilled in liquid nitrogen which kept the dry ice solid.

After making about 50 of these, I would hide them in a paper bag which I threw into my lab partner's trash can.

After they started warming up, it sounded like popcorn on steroids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top