Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 10:59:03 PM EDT
i keep seeing ARs, AKs, and other guns for sale on the EE with really low round counts.  why does anyone have an upper or complete gun with only 200 rounds through it?  i usually fire 200 rounds through my gun and then let the barrel cool while i am fireing another.  just last weekend i dropped 1200 rounds through 3 guns and that's not a heavy day.

so, are these people all liers?(doubtful)  or does no one sell guns with 15,000 - 20,000 rounds through them.  i tried to estimate my 10/22 one time and i figured about 50-75 thousand rounds in 11 years.  hell, i figure that it takes 5000 rounds just to decide if a gun is relyable or not.

is it just me or does anyone else still call their guns "new" until they get about 10,000 rounds or so in them?

btw, yes, i do go broke buying ammo and reloading supplies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If it were legal to shoot assholes, I would go broke buying ammo and wouldn't get 10% of them.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My guess is they have a sreious lack of places to shoot
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Big reason.

Not many places to shoot, or places that most people know about.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Waste of money and ammo.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually walk downstairs and into my 60 acre backyard and pop off a few rounds from a random gun out of the lot to test and make sure they're workin and to let off some morning steam
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't afford to shoot mine any more often than I do.  I shoot a few times a month, sometimes a few times a week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Shooting is a job-critical skillset for me.  Further, it's a perishable skill.  Having said that, about 90% of the cops on my department ONLY shoot during official quals or range days, which just boggles the everliving shit out of me.

I shoot at least 250 rds a week through my duty handgun and duty rifle.  

For me...having guns and not shooting regularly is an anathema.

For those of you that say it's too expensive...reload.  I do.

Finding a place to shoot...well, that's a challenge in and of itself.  Fortunately, I now live in a place whith no shortage of shooting locales.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
My reasons? The nearest range I like going to is an hour away, and gas and ammo is expensive. I usually will go shooting once or twice a month.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be shooting Monday.

Is that OK with you?

Twelve 30 round magazines plus about 90 in a C-Mag.

If I was interested in doing Rock & Roll the total would be about doubled.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's my reason.  In San Diego it's a pretty big pain to find a place to shoot, and around here it's not really that hard to find a place.  

I know, city folk.    Thems the breaks though.  200 rounds on an AR is definately on the light side though.  I'd believe it on a deer gun or a home defense revolver, but not on a "fun" gun.

I wish I could afford 500rounds a day, twice a week at the range and once a month at a professional training location.  That's just not going to happen.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I can honesty say that I have shot every gun I own .

I can also honestly say that a few of them were bought
in a moment of gun lust and after shooting them once or
twice .....  

Well they kind of make their way to the back of the safe
where they are outta sight outta mind .

I have cured myself of other forms of packratitus , but
I can't seem to bring myself to do it with weapons

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
$$ is my number one inhibiting factor.

To have any kind of fun, I'll blow $100 in ammo. That's alot of money in my world.

Thank god for .22's tho, I do alot of plinking keeping the skills alive with rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder the same thing...but in a different light.  Why is it with all these potential service rifles do so few here shoot in CMP matches?  Each match is an assured 88 rounds of fire with 80 of them being for the record.

Most active shooters consume 4-10 times that in live practice.  

So why are so few here shooting in CMP matches?  I'll drive 100 miles just for a club match.

PS, it is a GREAT proof that the evil, black rifle has a sporting purpose that is well-grounded in US law.  And it has practical application, keeping marksmanship skills in the civillian population.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
$$ is my number one inhibiting factor.

To have any kind of fun, I'll blow $100 in ammo. That's alot of money in my world.

Thank god for .22's tho, I do alot of plinking keeping the skills alive with rimfire.

You know, I just can't have fun shooting .22.  For some reason the kick is half the experience to me.  I guess I shoot more to have fun than to improve my skills though.  Guess that's one reason I cannot see the point in the 1911 .22 conversion jobs.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big reason.

Not many places to shoot, or places that most people know about.

And that is why they are probably being sold.

For me to shoot I have to drive an hour and pay $10.00.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
My list if Financial Priorities:

FOOD
RENT  
Vehical  
Girlfriend-who intern makes sammiches
Insurence  
Cell phone  
AMMO  

so as you can see....I personally dont shoot my weapons as much as some because it is not financially practical.  Although I dont shoot often,  when I do shoot its 500+ rds per gun
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#18]
you buy the ammo, i'll shoot ALL of my guns for as long the ammo is there!

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's the problem here.  There's a state run range down the road, but it's watched 24/7 by a very anti-gun LEO that hates small pistols (actually claims they're illegal in this state if they're smaller than your hand) and black rifles.  I only own two guns now, a Kel-Tec P-32 and an AR-15, so I just don't go so I don't have to deal with their crap.  As of the end of this month, it will be four years since i've been shooting.  I really want to go.z
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:01:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you shoot CMP, you can buy GOOD ammo for a great deal, unless you consider Wolf "good".  Then it is great ammo for the same price.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Around me:

Naugatuck - High Rock Range, Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck, CT 06770.
Phone: 203-574-3108
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Muzzleloading
Range Access: Public

Bridgeport - Bridgeport Shooting Range, 1918 Stratford Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06607.
Phone: 203-330-9772
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (50ft), Indoor Rifle (50ft), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette
Hours of Operation: see web site

Monroe - Fairfield County Indoor Range Club, 193 Main St., Monroe, CT 06468.
Phone: 203-261-1431
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (50 ft.), Indoor Rifle (50 ft.), Airgun

Guilford - Gunsite Indoor Shooting Range, 2458 Boston Post Rd, Guilford, CT 06437.
Phone: 203-453-1570
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (25 yds)

Marlborough - State of CT Dept. of Environ Prot. Glasterbury Range., 209 Hebron Road, Marlborough, CT 06447.
Phone: 860-295-9523
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 to 100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (25 to100 yds)

Norwalk - Shooting Sports LTD / Forest & Field Outdoor Specialties, 4 New Canaan Ave., Norwalk, CT 06851.
Phone: 203-847-4008
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (50, 75 yds), Indoor Rifle (50, 75 yds)

New Milford - Breitling Firearms, L.L.C., 146 Danbury Rd., New Milford, CT 06766.
Phone: 860-354-7575
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (50 ft.)
Hours of Operation: 10:00A-8:00P

Wallingford - Blue Trail Range & Gun Store, 316 N. Branford Rd., Wallingford, CT 06492.
Phone: 203-269-3280
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25, 50, 100 yds), Indoor Pistol (50 ft), Outdoor Rifle (50, 100, 200 yds), Indoor Rifle (50 ft), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Airgun

Wallingford - New England Outfitters & Range Center, 342 Quinnipiac St., Wallingford, CT 06492.
Phone: 203-284-9999
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Archery

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:53:24 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you shoot CMP, you can buy GOOD ammo for a great deal, unless you consider Wolf "good".  Then it is great ammo for the same price.

wolf is what i'm shooting right now, not the best, but it works

cant shoot high quality stuff anymore since school started
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I go to the range about every 2 - 3 weeks and blow 500-800 rds of ammo, so doing my part.   My problems is I have a lot of guns and only take about 3-5 on any given range trip, so a  lot of my guns dont get shot all that often even though I blow a lot of ammo down range.  It's a good problem to have BTW
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#24]
It doesn't take a high round count to do some good training, and unless you are firing FA, I often wonder about guys who claim they dump thousands of rounds per day through their gun.It just sounds like theres a lot of trigger pulling going on with not much real training value being achieved for the expense incurred.

Seems like more people buy guns for the investment/ collecting value than as shooters these days as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I have to agree >
a serious lack of places to shoot / or the time spent behind the wheel once you do fine a range.
( 2 1/2 drive ) one way and then once you get to the range it may be closed do to a special event.  

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can honesty say that I have shot every gun I own .

I can also honestly say that a few of them were bought
in a moment of gun lust and after shooting them once or
twice .....  

Well they kind of make their way to the back of the safe
where they are outta sight outta mind .

I have cured myself of other forms of packratitus , but
I can't seem to bring myself to do it with weapons

Gun lust!

I feel for you poor bastards living in town. I just walk out on my deck and shoot all I want. Still paying the bills limits how much ammo I can buy. I have gotten to where I won't buy less than a 1000rds at a time. Yeah I know a 1000rds at a time is peanuts to some of you ammo whores.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
There seem to be more people out there who like the IDEA of going shooting more than they like the actual activity of shooting.
For sure, in certain parts of the country there is a shortage of firing ranges.  
But how do you explain this?  I'm a member of a firing range that currently has nearly 600 members, but on any given day I can go to the range and be one of only around three or four people there!  On some days (like during week days in the Summer when I take a day off from work) I'm the ONLY one there!
This situation changes in the Fall when the hunters come out to sight in their hunting rifles, but even then there aren't 600 club members out there.
I think that firing range memberships are a little like gym memberships.  With gym memberships it's a pretty well established fact that only about 10% of the people who join ever come into the gym to work out.  And gyms' management COUNT on this fact because if everyone who joined showed up, there would be no where to put them all!
Frankly, I'm pretty glad that not all 600 members of my firing range go shooting.  I don't like crowded firing lines.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:12:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Time is the biggest issue for me - work takes up most of the week and church commitments take up most of the weekend and lately, the new house has been sucking up all available time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#29]
'Cause it's too damn hot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Who's gonna say "for sale 35,000+ rounds fired"?
(BTW :I've got a surplus 1971 AR that was only used on guard duty at the white house on every other Sunday. Only 9 shots fired.)
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have to agree >
a serious lack of places to shoot / or the time spent behind the wheel once you do fine a range.
( 2 1/2 drive ) one way and then once you get to the range it may be closed do to a special event.  

Any range thats substantial enough to be booked out for special events should be well-heeled enough to put out a newsletter or have  a website where blacked out dates like that are posted so the general membership knows the range will be unavailable.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Who's gonna say "for sale 35,000+ rounds fired"?

Thats exactly my point.  i know a lot of people have older guns that they have replaced with newer fancier ones, and now the old one just sits in the back of the safe.  Nobody ever sells them though.  WHY?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#33]
no places to shoot in CA.

public ranges are "paper targets only" you cant plink or shoot anything except paper targets, they will give you a citation if the game warden sees you shoot a tin can or non paper target...

it's no fun shooting paper targets only, so I dont shoot much ammo
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Why must you torment me?

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Time is the biggest issue for me - work takes up most of the week and church commitments take up most of the weekend and lately, the new house has been sucking up all available time.

Spoken like you're reading my mind...

Our private range is a couple hundred yards from my front door and we keep plenty of ammo on hand at all times, so for me time is the limiting factor.  As convenient as it is for me (and threads like this keep me from taking it for granted ), I have to make time to go shoot...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Ammunition. Its expensive...however my AR15 is pretty mint and it only has around 2,000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#37]
my 14 month old baby girl keeps me from the range
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top