Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
I know the jokes will be many, but seriously.  

Say you have a lot of guns that aren't gonna appreciate much as time goes on, you don't get to shoot them much but keep them cause you like em, or some other non-shooting non-money-making reason.  

I've just been thinking about paring down my collection to 3 or 4 rifles and 1 or 2 pistols and can't seem to come up with a good reason not to.....  Is this a mid-BRD crisis?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
um....................................  NO
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
BLASPHEMY!
Okay. I do see your point, sometimes I feel bad because I don't have enough time and money to shoot all the guns I have, but I keep wanting more.

There's nothing wrong with selling guns, despite what some may say. We all don't have room for 150+ gun safes and extra floor braces for the second and third story ammo rooms.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:59:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What he said...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Say you have a lot of guns that aren't gonna appreciate much as time goes on, you don't get to shoot them much but keep them cause you like em, or some other non-shooting non-money-making reason.  

I've just been thinking about paring down my collection to 3 or 4 rifles and 1 or 2 pistols and can't seem to come up with a good reason not to.....  Is this a mid-BRD crisis?

No. I didn't buy them as a monetary investment.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I had to…

A 70 gun collection gone, liquidated for needed cash. Excruciating doesn’t describe it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#6]
CJ-

Didn't you just get all those guns in, like the last year or so?

In answer to your question, yes.  Mainly it was to reduce the number of different calibers to a few basic ones.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#7]
No.  Never sold a gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I get rid of all guns I don't shoot, but I also believe in having at least one of the same model of my favorite rifle and handgun,  tucked away incase a sweeping ban makes buying any more of that model illegal.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I buy them because I enjoy them.  Tinkering with them, accessorizing them, shooting them...and the best part, taking the wife out shooting.  I had 10 guns out today, and was thinking...."More...must get More"..

2 cases of soda
40 rds of 12
120rds of 7.62x39
120 rds 9mm
10 rds .30-30
2 rds of .300 winmag (could not get her to shoot it)
50 rds of .44 mag outa my SRH snubbie
many many rds of .22
30+ balloons
And big fookin grins all around.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Send them here then! My collection is small. Plus you know they'll be going to a nice, caring home. They will be given the care and attention they deserve and will always be cleaned after every firing session.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
If you like them it's reason enough to keep them. Some day when I am old and gray and hopefully have Grandkids, they are all going to get something from Gramps. Something from the war and something to be taught how to shoot with. Beats passing down 1000 copies of readers digest and Natl Geographic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I've already given a couple of Russian SKS's and Rom. .22's to my grandsons and will be giving them
AR's and assorted handguns as they get older. Other than giving guns away as gifts, I just build and collect!!  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#14]
No.

Bwahahahah.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I buy them as something to keep for life and ptoentially pass along to my future children.

I have yet to sell one, but I did buy one as a gift for someone else, but parting with it was still hard. Damn it, it was such a nice shotgun, too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've already given a couple of Russian SKS's and Rom. .22's to my grandsons and will be giving them
AR's and assorted handguns as they get older. Other than giving guns away as gifts, I just build and collect!!  

And they will remember that more them anything else you will give then cept your time. Because you have treated them as and equal and not as just a child. Lord willing, 30 years from now they will be passing down the gun they got from Gramps and hopefully keeping the 2nd alive.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I buy guns.  I never sell guns.  <shrug>

Good policy!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#18]
NO!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm still young and in the "Increasing the number of guns I own" phase.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Wait a minuit ... was this topic posted by DiFi...Jenet Reno maybe!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

that about sums it up
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Kinda.

I'm selling my AK. I hate the sights. I'm using it to buy an Aimpoint for my M4. It'll get more use.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#23]
same here traded my ak for parts for my ar
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Been there numerous times. Then the shits is, you decide you want to change the models or calibers or something. Then you acquire 129 more guns and do it all over. Buying and selling guns, to me, is half the fun. Pursuit, finding a great deal on something new, flipping it over for something you like better. Whatever. Everybody is different. I probably own in the lower end of what most guys here would consider normal, if not less than normal. But I've probably OWNED more guns than most. Some real rarities among them.

There are certain guns you just don't sell though, like a P7M10. As far as multiple AR's go, who cares, they'll make more. If it's replaceable when you change your mind and you aren't losing an assload of money, go for it.

No point owning a giant collection if it's not the collection you WANT.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#25]
About four years ago the company I worked for outsourced my entire IT Division to IBM.  If you ever get an opportunity to work for IBM.

Soon after I ceased to work for my previous employer and began to work for IBM I managed to get myself fired.  My new IBM bosses were telling me that I should punish my customesr who were coincidently my co-workers just a few weeks before.  It's a long sortid story envolving corporate politics but I digress.

The crux of the issue is IBM fired me and at the time IT openings were rather rare.

I got a FT job immediately at my friends gunshop (a true friend) but he couldn't pay me anything near what I was making before I got myself fired.

Soooooooooooo

At the time I had 36 gun in my collection.  After assessing my situation and my collection I consigned nine of my guns.   All but one sold relatively quickly.  This served as great comfort to me an my wife.

I don't miss any of the guns I sold this time around and my collection is back up to 29 now.

Funny the only gun I consigned back then that has not sold is a Ruger MK-II Stainless .223 with a Leupold 3x9 scope that has been marked $399 for over four years.

It's in 90% condition but nobody seems to want it.  It has become the subject of much ridicule.

A $250 rifle with a $230 scope for $399.  One would think.........

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, I put my guns in my case and hope for the bunny effect.  To date, my AR is refusing to procreate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]
About 3 months ago I sold 19 over a few weeks to help fund a land purchase---started with almost 70 so it didn't hurt to much. Since then I have re-acquired 2 Glocks and 1 Rem 700 to help ease the pain. I will sell some more when I start the cabin on the land.
I look at a bunch of them as money in the bank I can play with instead of sitting and notcollecting  much interest dividends.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#28]
NO.........only if im swimming in debt or a family emergency arises for which i need cash
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Occasionally I will sell one that I have in multiples
Or I will sell one if I find a better example of one
I have .

So any decreases are in total are short lived

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I've sold a few of them over the years and I still get pissed off about some of them
There were a couple that were real pieces of shit that I have no regrets at all selling
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#32]
I sell off the ones I don't shoot or no longer enjoy and buy something else.  Sometimes I sell one off because I need the money, sometimes to fund a new gun purchase.  I still have more guns than time to shoot.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#33]
The only way I would sell a gun is when the sale lets me buy two more of the same gun
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
... Actually yes. No need for weapons that have no real mission. Sure, I'll retain a few for the "Wow" factor, but if doesn't fill a requirement of mine - Adiós MF!

... Lean and "right-size" are more than just corporate terminology buzz-words.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I don't have enough now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
CJ-

Didn't you just get all those guns in, like the last year or so?

In answer to your question, yes.  Mainly it was to reduce the number of different calibers to a few basic ones.

yeah, I bought my first gun right before I joined arfkom.  Since then my collection has gone from 1 to 2 all the way to 50 to 30, I'm down to about 15 long guns and 8 handguns.  I bought everything for a while to see what I liked.  especially handguns.  It took me a while to find my winners, but I believe I have.

I buy and sell guns all the time to try and narrow down my collection to what I perceived as EXACTLY what I envision as the perfect collection.  I'm one or two guns away from that (I've been saying that for a while....) I've got the thousand yard rifles (2), the medium range (8), the close in (3), the pistol caliber carbines (2), the assault pistols (2), and then come the handguns, none of which I can part with.  period.  I have two XD40's.  Never gonna lose em.  TLE/RL II Pro, staying here.  P7M8 are you kidding?.  Taurus PT145 best bed gun ever.  Kahr PM9 nothing comes close for concealability.  And of course, the class III gus on the way, RR, vector uzi, powder springs mac, sbs 870..  those aren't goin' nowhere.

And caliber reduction is impossible IMO.  My collection as it stands now has the usuals 223, 54539, 76239, 76254, 308, 9, 40, 45, 38, 357, 22.  I don't see how I can lose any of those calibers.  Each one is there for a reason.

I just see these guys in the photo threads with like 2 AR's and a 1911 and it seems so tempting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:25:02 AM EDT
[#37]

I only shoot about 25% of my collection regularly.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:25:19 AM EDT
[#38]
The thought has never even occurred to me. The only thought I ever have is which gun am I gonna buy next. Buying a new gun only provides a few minutes worth of relief, then I start thinking ahead to the next project and planning it.

The only guns I ever sold was guns I should have never bought anyway. But those days of impulse buying have long been over. Any new gun I buy is one I will keep.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+11111111111
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:29:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Everytime I see a new truck I want or some land I want I think about it.  Then I think if I sell and buy the truck, in 10 years I will have a worn out old truck (like I have now) and decide it is a bad idea.  At least the kids could inherit the guns or they could be sold in the case of a true emergency.  For land I would consider it.  I guess I see a lot of the guns more as investments that I get to play with and would part for them for other investments, but not just for some loose money.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:31:49 AM EDT
[#41]
No. I have sold a few in the past, and I've regretted selling a couple of them so I'm not going down that road again. If a dire financial situation arose, there are a couple I could get rid of and not be reduced to tears, but I would only sell as a last resort.

I have about twenty guns or so, counting a couple that belong to my father. Out of that, I can count about three that get used more than any: my Colt HBAR, Glock 19 & 23, and my Springfield M1A.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#42]
I've been contemplating it somewhat seriously. After moving to my new house, I can assure you that moving a bunch of safes and security cabinets along with the guns, mags, ammo and assorted boxes of accessories - and trying to do it all discretely late in the evening - was not an easy task.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've been contemplating it somewhat seriously. After moving to my new house, I can assure you that moving a bunch of safes and security cabinets along with the guns, mags, ammo and assorted boxes of accessories - and trying to do it all discretely late in the evening - was not an easy task.

seriously.

I have not the smallest apartment (actually biggest I've ever lived in!) and there's barely enough room for anything other than guns, ammo, acesories, etc.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#44]
absolutly, yes

If i've got someting I haven't used in a couple of years, I see no reason to keep it around (other than potential bans, which is why I haven't sold my FAL)

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

3-4 rifles and 1-2 pistols sounds like plenty to me.

i "NEED" a good pump shotgun in 12 gauge.
an AR15 with no bells and whistles.
a sniper/ deer rifle  .308, 30-06 etc.
a 1911
a 44 magnum
a snub nosed 38 special
a high quality 22 automatic or revolver.

the rest is all fun and spares.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#48]
I was brought up and still firmly believe that guns should only be sold in dire emergencies.

I put a lot of thought into what I want to buy before I go get it. I've never made an impulse gun buy.

All mine are keepers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:58:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Even if I were to think about selling any, I think first; "hey, my son or daughter might want this one day" ... so i keep them to give away to my kids. My daughter will be 18 next month, she may get my EAA Witness in 9mm or my old Glock 19, I haven't decided ..... I have a Remington ADL youth model 700 for each of my kids, a 243 for my daughter and a 7mm-08 for my son(he is only 8 right now).  I liked these little rifles so much I bought one in 308 for me! ... what a handy little rifle!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top