Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 4:35:18 PM EDT
I have two Windows XP systems that I want to hook up together for simple file, print, and Internet sharing. I am somewhat confused by the choice of a "hub", which I believe is to enable file and printer sharing, and a broadband router, which is to share the Cable Modem connection.

Do I need both (hub and router)? Or can I do with just the hub?

The computers will be sitting three feet apart, so I don't care/need a wireless connection.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
If they both have a ethernet port then all you would need is long cable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If they both have a ethernet port then all you would need is long cable.

Make that a crossover cable.  If you can't find a crossover cable then get a hub and 2 regular cables.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have two Windows XP systems that I want to hook up together for simple file, print, and Internet sharing. I am somewhat confused by the choice of a "hub", which I believe is to enable file and printer sharing, and a broadband router, which is to share the Cable Modem connection.

Do I need both (hub and router)? Or can I do with just the hub?

The computers will be sitting three feet apart, so I don't care/need a wireless connection.

Ok, just reread your post.  To share your cable modem connection you will need a router.  The modem will plug into the router, and then a ethernet cable will go from the router to each PC.  IIRC, the router will act as a hub so your pc's can talk to each other.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never used it, and I'm not sure how it's done, but I thought that you could use USB to make a simple network.  I can't promise any great speed, but it might be a cheap, simple solution.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A router with network ports (most have 4). Get one that works with a cable modem .
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
cable modem, wireless router, 2 wireless network cards, done.

Make sure that you set the WEP password
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, so it seems that just a router would be enough to make the computers share files and the printer, besides the broadband connection.

I'll give it a try and see what happens...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#8]
A router that is just a router connects two different networks.

A hub lets a bunch of computers talk to each other on one network.

A Switch is sort of like a hub, except it should work faster and might do some other tricks that you don't care about.

Fortunately for you, most cheap routers also have a 4-port switch built in. Sort of like how car stereos have an AM tuner, FM tuner, CD player, and amplifier all built in. Theoretically you could buy them separately...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an almost new Linksys router with 4-port switch I could part with if your interested...I'll send an IM with details.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
cable modem, wireless router, 2 wireless network cards, done.

Make sure that you set the WEP password

Did you even read the first post?

Wireless in his case is A) not needed, and B) stupid and more expensive than he needs.

1911ar-15, just grab a router/firewall that has a switch built-in.  Don't just get one of the NAT boxes, get something with at least a rudimentary firewall in it (something with SPI at the least).  

***This is all assuming you have a broadband connection.  If you are on dialup, then just get a crossover cable, connect the two machines (thru ethernet ports), and share the dialup connection with Windows Internet Sharing.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have an almost new Linksys router with 4-port switch I could part with if your interested...I'll send an IM with details.

Thanks!
IM sent.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Double Post
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
All you need is THIS.

You can find prices Here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All you need is THIS.

That's just a NAT box.  If he's hooking up to a broadband connection, he's gonna want more security than that.  

Look here and find one that fits your needs.  I'd recommend the RP614.  It is a NAT box, with SPI also (according to the above chart).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top