Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:02 PM EDT
Police Chief, Deputy, Rescue Worker Shot in S. Georgia

ELLIOTT MINOR
Associated Press Writer

LUMPKIN, Ga. (AP) -- The police chief, a county deputy and a paramedic were wounded during a shootout in this small town's courthouse square Thursday and the suspected gunman was killed during an ensuing gunbattle, authorities said.

The police chief in a nearby town also was wounded
during the pursuit of the suspect.

The most seriously injured was the paramedic, who was shot in the leg after arriving at the scene to help the wounded officers, said John Bankhead, a spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The officers' injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Two people were taken into custody, but a third who fired at officers with a semi-automatic pistol was shot and killed by police, Bankhead said.

The gunfire began about 2 a.m. when officers responded to a report of shots fired outside the Stewart County Courthouse in Lumpkin, a town of about 1,300 people near the Alabama border and 115 miles southwest of Atlanta.

The episode may have started with an argument between the shooter and some family members, Bankhead said.

Lumpkin Police Chief Jay Stripling and Stewart County Deputy Clinton Rivers were both shot in the face by a man firing from the courthouse steps, Bankhead said.

The suspect then fled the scene.

A few hours later, after more than 50 officers and a police helicopter swarmed the area, officers confronted three suspects a few blocks from the courthouse. One of the men, identified as Marcus Dwayne Dalton, 26, fired at officers with a 9mm pistol, striking Plains Police Chief Henry Brown.

Officers returned fire and killed Dalton, Bankhead said. The other two men with Dalton were taken in for questioning.

During the second shootout, a deputy was struck in his gun belt by a bullet, but was not injured.

Kimberly Daniels, 28, watched in horror as guns fired just a few feet away as she returned home after working the night shift at a factory.

''There were a line of police cars,'' Daniels said. ''I saw a lot of police with guns on their shoulders. I was frightened. I didn't know what was going on.''

The injured paramedic, Vance Streeter, underwent surgery and his condition was not immediately known, said Michelle Slaughter, Stewart County Sheriff's dispatcher.

Stripling's jawbone was broken by a bullet and Rivers was shot in the eye, Slaughter said.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, always in Georgia.

Buncha crazy fucks down there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm suprised he didn't shoot down the chopper.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
What's wrong with these people?  Don't they know that bringing guns into a courthouse is against the law?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What's wrong with these people?  Don't they know that bringing guns into a courthouse is against the law?  

Ummm.......

2 a.m. when officers responded to a report of shots fired outside the Stewart County Courthouse
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
'Suicide by Cop' Suspected in Georgia Shootout that Left Four Wounded, Suspect Dead

ELLIOTT MINOR
Associated Press Writer

LUMPKIN, Ga. (AP) -- A man who may have been trying to commit ''suicide by cop'' opened fire from the steps of this small town's courthouse square early Thursday, wounding the police chief, a deputy and a paramedic who was rushing to their aid.

Marcus Dalton fled, but was killed about three hours later in a gunbattle only blocks away where two more officers were hit by bullets.

Dalton's mother said the episode stemmed from an argument the 26-year-old gunman had with his 30-year-old brother in the family's dilapidated mobile home about two blocks from the courthouse.

When their yelling escalated into a fight, Mary Dalton called police, causing the son who had spent five years in prison to run away.

''I believe he wanted to die anyways. He said, 'I will never go back to prison,''' she said. ''He always told me 'I'm going to leave and I'm going to live in peace.'''

Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Vernon Keenan said Dalton may have opened fire as part of a desire to commit suicide by being killed by police.

''He made statements that he was going to force police to kill him,'' Keenan said.

Dalton was on parole at the time and had an extensive criminal record, including arrests for making terroristic threats, aggravated assault and distribution of marijuana. ''He's made it known he wanted to be a gangster,'' Keenan said.

The most seriously injured among the others shot was the paramedic, who had an artery in his leg struck by a bullet and remained in the hospital in critical condition. None of the others who were wounded suffered life-threatening injuries, said GBI spokesman John Bankhead.

Two people were taken into custody at the second shooting scene, but later it was determined they were hostages of the gunman and at least one was a family member.

The gunfire began about 2 a.m. when officers responded to a report of shots fired outside the Stewart County Courthouse in Lumpkin, a town of about 1,300 people near the Alabama border 115 miles southwest of Atlanta.

Lumpkin Police Chief Jay Stripling and Stewart County Deputy Clinton Rivers were both shot in the face. Paramedic Vance Streeter was then shot while rushing to their aide.

The suspect then fled the scene.

A few hours later, after more than 50 officers and a police helicopter swarmed the area, officers confronted the suspect and his hostages a few blocks from the courthouse. One of the men, identified as Dalton, fired at officers with a 9mm pistol, grazing Henry Brown, the police chief from nearby Plains.

Officers returned fire and killed Dalton, Bankhead said.

Kimberly Daniels, 28, watched in horror as police milled about the crime scene as she returned home after working the night shift at a factory in nearby Buena Vista.

''There were a line of police cars,'' Daniels said. ''I saw a lot of police with guns on their shoulders. I was frightened. I didn't know what was going on.''

Stripling's jawbone was broken by a bullet and Rivers was shot in the eye, said Michelle Slaughter, Stewart County Sheriff's dispatcher. Both were hospitalized in satisfactory condition. Brown was treated and released.

Later in the day, dozens of police cars still filled the streets and yellow police tape was draped around the two-story red-brick courthouse that featured four white pillars at each of its main entrances. The paramedic's trauma bag and other equipment still were on the pavement where he was shot.

Many residents in Lumpkin say that the town is struggling to overcome crushing poverty and a lack of job opportunities. Rundown mobile homes and public housing projects line the city streets in the seat of Stewart County, one of the poorest counties in Georgia.

Mechanic Randy Mathis owns a garage on the courthouse square.

''We don't have any industry. No jobs,'' Mathis said. ''There's a good bit of dope going on. We need some economic help.''

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:14:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm amazed the author actually called it a "semi-automatic pistol."  

Maybe the reporter was a local. Those "down home" folks in the South are often a bit sharper when it comes to things firearms related.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Please post links to  the source for stories like this; I send along the reports to a couple of trainer friends for scenario purposes, and the links would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Prayer sent for the officers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top