Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 9:05:21 PM EDT
They are trying to establish a nuclear free zone that will hurt the military in surrounding bases and will cost the taxpayers lots of money. I've contacted them but we need to bury them with negative responses so that the insanity will stop. I'll quote my naive attempts at communication with these PC politicians. Please tell them it's a bad idea!

Me: Please, how much will this cost the taxpayers of the city as you investigate if vendors are somehow related to nuclear weapons? You are eliminating choices used in making competitive bids and now the city may end up paying more for the same products or services. It’s your job to run the city in the most efficient way not to attempt to affect foreign or international policy, stick to your job

I have lived in Olympia for 39 years, longer than most of you I suspect and this is the biggest bunch or PC BS I’ve ever heard.

I will campaign against any elected official who votes in favor of this. The silent majority will rise against this bilge! It’s actions like this so-called nuke free zone that are ruining the city
of Olympia.

As a long time citizen of Olympia, a Washington National Guardsman and a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom II, I’m deeply and personally offended by the action of this council, you are a disgrace!

By the way, don’t be surprised when you are voted out of office

Them [redMr. Knight-

As a councilmember, I have many jobs.  One of them is to run the city as efficiently as possible, as you point out.  Another is to respond to concerns raised by members of the community.  

In raising this issue, I was doing precisely that - representing the concerns of members of this community that believe it is appropriate, even necessary,  for local governments to take actions to support the elimination of nuclear weapons.  You may disagree, but their views are as valid as yours, and they deserve equal representation.  One man's common sense is another man's lunacy.

Incidentally, the public who contacted us on this issue since it was first raised in May have been 95% in favor of passing the ordinance.

You have every right to campaign against me or any other elected official you disagree with.  That is what democracy is all about.

By the way, if there is anything "ruining Olympia" it is the lack of civil discourse in the community around controversial issues.  Rather than discussing ideas on their merits, we all to often resort to character assassination and threats - just like you did in your message.  Really, our community deserves better.

TJ Johnson
Councilmember, City of Olympia

Me again “By the way, if there is anything "ruining Olympia" it is the lack of civil discourse in the community around controversial issues.  Rather than discussing ideas on their merits, we all to often resort to character assassination and threats - just like you did in your message.  Really, our community deserves better.”

What are the merits of the nuke free zone? It will cost the taxpayers more and will penalize the companies and industries that have helped make our country safe. As more countries seek to arm themselves with nuclear weapons it appears that you and other like you seek to weaken and harm the industries and policies that have made us the lone “superpower” in the world. I realize as well as you must that the United States will simply never again allow another country to have a strategic or tactical nuclear advantage over us and in that, I believe that this stance by the Olympia city council in a naïve, politically correct stance aimed at garnering votes for the next election as it is an empty and obviously hollow proposition that has no real meaning or teeth to do good in support of our local or national policies.

It may surprise you to know that I’m an alum of TESC and also a life long resident of Olympia and recipient of the Bronze Star and 2x CIB, an award earned for being in close combat with enemies of the United States. My family and I have sacrificed greatly for the benefit of our local community and nation. Were you one of the citizens that were offended by the “Tie a Yellow Ribbon” theme of Lake Fair?

If you think the community deserves a better citizen than myself, who might that be?

Sincerely,
Steve Knight

Please stand up against PC BS and contact the Olympia City Council

[email protected]

Your cooperation is appreciated!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top