Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:35:23 PM EDT
Can someone help me get into this field of work?  I am 2/3 through my major and want to get some experience here.  Any tips?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an MIS major and worked for two years for StateFarm.  I did DB2 database stuff.  They layed us all off because they outsourced to India or some damn place.  I went to OCS in the Marine Corps.  Much better choice.  I say do that.

Not trying to be a smart arse but many companies are going overseas for tech support.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Find you a small firm that needs a computer guy.

Most small business can't afford entire teams dedicated to server/network/software development.

This way you get lots of experience in different fields and it all is part of your major.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]

www.vault.com and look through the community bulletin boards. Lot of people chat about what's hot in MIS and IT and what companys to go to and stay away from. Good Luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top