Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 7:33:16 PM EDT
Less say gasoline tops $5 a gallon next year and home values plummet.  How easy would it be for the US to have an economic meltdown.  Could it be as bad as the great depression?  Or worse?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
No, nothing as bad as the Great Depression.  Recession with 10 percent unemployment?  Quite believable, since much of Europe has a permanent unemployment rate that high.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully lessons learned from the Gret Depression will prevent its repeat.

It could be bad, but not that bad (hopefully).
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think a meltdown would occur simply from the two indicators you posted. I do however think that with the right combination of things that a massive recession is possible. Even likely given the way things trend out to me.

Of course I always plan and think the worst and sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Well how about if a dozen nuclear bombs went off at the top 12 economic centers of america?  I would think that just might do it.  You have to remember thats what UBL was trying to accomplish with 9/11.  That was 2 bldgs and it took us a couple of years to recoup from that.  What if all of NYC for starters went up in a mushroom cloud.  Oh yea its possible.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure we could.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking more along the lines of "Can the U.S. avoid an economic meltdown?"

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I think we're going to see a major recession within the next few years, but nothing anywhere near Depression levels.

Half my family lived through the Depression. They've been ready for another one ever since. I don't think we'll be too badly off.

Between us and the one set of grandparents, we've got enough silver and ammunition to last a few years until good times roll around again.

If a major recession does hit, I pray it's during the presidency of a shithead like Hitlery.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
"As long as you have ammo, you have everything you need..."
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#9]

If a major recession does hit, I pray it's during the presidency of a shithead like Hitlery.

I pray the opposite, because Hitlery in the highest office would likely end with us all losing the right to private property and being vassals of the state.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:30:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Could the us ever have an economonic meltdown?  Of course.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
snip - What if all of NYC for starters went up in a mushroom cloud.  Oh yea its possible.

We can but hope.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip - What if all of NYC for starters went up in a mushroom cloud.  Oh yea its possible.

We can but hope.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We can but hope.

GTFO you unAmerican pos
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]

I think it is /possible/, but I also think that if America goes down it's dragging the rest of the world with it.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well how about if a dozen nuclear bombs went off at the top 12 economic centers of america?  I would think that just might do it.  You have to remember thats what UBL was trying to accomplish with 9/11.  That was 2 bldgs and it took us a couple of years to recoup from that.  What if all of NYC for starters went up in a mushroom cloud.  Oh yea its possible.

It would only take one. America has been so feminized since the 1960s most Americans would run and hide and start killing themselves en masse. One fission bomb is all it would take to collapse the US economy...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
We did have an economic melt down just after 9/11 but we recovered well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It's happened more than once in the past.

landru.i-link-2.net/monques/montimeline.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
The US economic meltdown is a certain threat, and the  Chinese have the power to set it off with a single phone call. They  are the largest holder of US treasury bonds in the world, and  cashing them all in at once or even stating that they will not buy any more except a a steep discount would cause our dollar to go into freefall.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Awww come on not all of this doom and gloom stuff. Pessimism never helped any thing and it makes things worse.  There are too many good things going on to dwell on the bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

That would cause an economic boom, rebuilding the cities and developing our newly captured oilfields in the Middle East.  Cheap oil for the USA for a long time....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Duh.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#23]
All we need is love....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]

developing our newly captured oilfields in the Middle East. Cheap oil for the USA for a long time....

yeah, that's why the price of gas is so cheap today, right?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top