Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 6:00:30 PM EDT
Where did that expression come from and what does it mean to do.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Some say it may have come from way back when flintlocks were the primary firearms of the day. You'd lock back the hammer (which held the flint) before doing anything else in the load process.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a state of mind.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some say it may have come from way back when flintlocks were the primary firearms of the day. You'd lock back the hammer (which held the flint) before doing anything else in the load process.

That sounds bass ackwards to me, in case the "hammer locking back mechanism" (for lack of a non-budwieser induced state) should fail.  If the frizzen is forward there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless we're talking percussion rifles, which throws my statements right out the door.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Lock = put safety on

Load = insert magazine

I thought this was a military firing range command
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sounds bass ackwards to me, in case the "hammer locking back mechanism" (for lack of a non-budwieser induced state) should fail.  If the frizzen is forward there shouldn't be a problem.

Unless we're talking percussion rifles, which throws my statements right out the door.

If the hammer falls due to failure, it still won't fire the gun, since the last step of the load involves putting powder in the flash pan, which seems impossible with the hammer forward.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top