Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 1:34:36 PM EDT
Now, let me say, I may just be paranoid. This may be nothing. But I THINK Cingular is trying to scam an extra $225 off of me.

A couple weeks ago, my cell phone crapped out on me. So I took it to the Cingular store, they looked at it, and said I'd have to call in for a warranty replacement. Okay, so, no biggy, right?

So I call them on monday the 8th, go through the motions, and they say, okay, we'll send you a phone, it'll be there in 5 business days at most, probably less. If your phone is out of warranty (which it shouldn't be, because it's 4 months old and I haven't dropped it... much), or if you fail to get it to us in the package we'll be sending you with your replacement within 14 days, you'll be charged $225, no negotiation, no refunds possible.

So I agree, they feed my info back to me, I ensure it's correct, and we go on our merry way.

The phone isn't here yet. 10 days. 8, if you want to be charitable and only count business days. Now, I don't exactly need the phone, it's just really helpful, but the thing that pisses me off is that, knowing Cingular's reputation, they will be charging me $225, I'll be getting my phone in a month, and there'll be precisely dick that I can do about it.

It's not that I expect Verizon to be any better to use when our contract expires next year, I just have been raped enough by Cingular that I need to switch to another company for a couple years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have to sign for it, they sent mine fedex signature required.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Cingular sucks. I dropped them thieving bastards months ago and went with Verizon. Better price and better service
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I like that little orange guy they have as a mascot.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well, I haven't had to, and I'm home all day and awake before FedEx ever gets here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Now, let me say, I may just be paranoid. This may be nothing. But I THINK Cingular is trying to scam an extra $225 off of me.

A couple weeks ago, my cell phone crapped out on me. So I took it to the Cingular store, they looked at it, and said I'd have to call in for a warranty replacement. Okay, so, no biggy, right?

So I call them on monday the 8th, go through the motions, and they say, okay, we'll send you a phone, it'll be there in 5 business days at most, probably less. If your phone is out of warranty (which it shouldn't be, because it's 4 months old and I haven't dropped it... much), or if you fail to get it to us in the package we'll be sending you with your replacement within 14 days, you'll be charged $225, no negotiation, no refunds possible.

So I agree, they feed my info back to me, I ensure it's correct, and we go on our merry way.

The phone isn't here yet. 10 days. 8, if you want to be charitable and only count business days. Now, I don't exactly need the phone, it's just really helpful, but the thing that pisses me off is that, knowing Cingular's reputation, they will be charging me $225, I'll be getting my phone in a month, and there'll be precisely dick that I can do about it.

It's not that I expect Verizon to be any better to use when our contract expires next year, I just have been raped enough by Cingular that I need to switch to another company for a couple years.

I like Cingular.

I have a Cingular phone and I declined the warranty protection.  Well, I dropped the phone in water and it died.  I took it to the CIngular store and the guy let me buy protection right there and told me to call the 800 number to get the replacement!  I know he wasn't supposed to do that, but he was cool.
So I call the number and they send me a replacement phone.  I send them my old one.  
2 weeks later the new phone (a refurb) is screwing up.  I call the 800 number and complain about the screwed up replacement phone they sent me, so they send me another one.  At this point, they still hadn't recieved my 1st phone.
3rd phone works great, but a few weeks later I get a letter saying they haven't recieved the phone yet.  I call them and tell them I sent both phones.
A few more weeks and I get another letter.  Again, I call them and tell them to take it up with UPS.  
Finally, the phones arrived at Cingular and they verify this.
The whole time, they never charged me or fucked with my service.  They didn't harass me.  And they had TWO replacement phones unaccounted for.

That's pretty reasonable of them.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I haven't had to, and I'm home all day and awake before FedEx ever gets here.

Well if they can't prove you signed for it, they can't charge you for it. Give them a call and get the status.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#7]
No problems here
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My cell phone committed suicide it fell 4 floors and shattered and to get a new phone cingular says I gotta get off "digital" and onto "GSM", I have been on a corporate plan with AT&T wireless since '96 and now bought up by Cingular, to "migrate" to GSM and getting the corporate plan I have been going through hoops, with their customer service being rude. You know since my phone went on the blink I have been at peace......
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, call them. Everytime I have purchased a phone or gotten a replacement after sending in a broken warrantee, it was sent next day delivery. Someone at UPS might have gotten sticky fingers on yours.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't get me started on Cingular.  Worst experience I've ever had with any company.  I've been repeatedly lied to, overcharged repeatedly, blown off, condescended to, had my phone that I use for business cut off (THEIR MISTAKE), etc.  I wouldn't buy a fire extinguisher from Cingular if I was on fire.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
this is so simple... call them .. tell them you have not recived the phone..

the worst that can happen is they say it  was delivered on xxx date..

you say " not to me"   they will call ups or fedex,,,   and then send you another phone..

hell here is the # 1-800-801-1101

now if you do all that and it still is not resolved IM me.,.

but do that first ..

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I might has well have bent over and grabbed my ankles.  Cingular as screwed me multiple times.  Crappy service from a shitty company,
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a special place in hell for Cingular's CEO.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My cell phone committed suicide it fell 4 floors and shattered and to get a new phone cingular says I gotta get off "digital" and onto "GSM", I have been on a corporate plan with AT&T wireless since '96 and now bought up by Cingular, to "migrate" to GSM and getting the corporate plan I have been going through hoops, with their customer service being rude. You know since my phone went on the blink I have been at peace......

They still offer 3 digital phones. Cingular's corporate rate is 17% off. thats $32 for 450.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I use them and I have never had a problem. I would call and check the status and ask them for their employee I.D. number - they have to give it to you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They still offer 3 digital phones. Cingular's corporate rate is 17% off. thats $32 for 450.

ha.. call in say you work for ford motor comp..  40% :)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]
They may give you an ID number, but they can just write in their little log for your account that you said you got the new phone and weren't going to return the old one.

Ask me how I know that they have no problems telling you one thing and then writing up something completely different.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They may give you an ID number, but they can just write in their little log for your account that you said you got the new phone and weren't going to return the old one.

Ask me how I know that they have no problems telling you one thing and then writing up something completely different.

They  could do that and then they could get fired. All calls are reviewed along with the file. If they find something isn't right and you get a call.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Verizon and I am happy.

I had to have defective phones replaced several times, and they did it FTF at the store.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They  could do that and then they could get fired. All calls are reviewed along with the file. If they find something isn't right and you get a call.

Tell that to the $300 termination fee the rep said she would wave.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:31:09 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had Cingular now for about two years, switched from Sprint after about four.  I have owned four diffent phones and service has been pretty much the same.  My main gripe has been that my calls drop out after about three minutes... no matter where I am.   That was the reason I left Sprint thinking it was a Sprint coverage problem.  I guess not.   FWIW, I really dislike Motorola phones.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have had Cingular now for about two years, switched from Sprint after about four.  I have owned four diffent phones and service has been pretty much the same.  My main gripe has been that my calls drop out after about three minutes... no matter where I am.   That was the reason I left Sprint thinking it was a Sprint coverage problem.  I guess not.   FWIW, I really dislike Motorola phones.  

The one Motorola phone I had was CRAP. Actually it was 3 of the same model. They only lasted about 4 months apiece. Good thing I only signed a 1 year agreement. If I had signed a 2 year agreement, I would have had about a year left when the last phone crapped out.

The companies want you to get a 2 year agreement, but the phone warranties are only good for a year.

I say stick with LG or Samsung if you want a good phone. Sanyo is supposedly good, too, but I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
My friend works for Cingular.  He loves Verizon and had a Verizon phone before the job, but took the free company phone.  Well, he hates the crappy service and wanted to go back to Verizon and pay, but for some reason they have blacklisted him......We theorize it is because he is an employee of a competitor and either his employer or Verizon blacklisted him....but he cannot get a phone, under his name, at Verizon!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the three different reps who told me that they were going to send me a new phone when the one I bought didn't have the features they advertised.  Or the rep that took the $150 payment I made that disappeared into thin air.  Or the rep who told me that my reconnect fee would be waived after my phone got shut off because of the disappearance of said payment.  Or the four different reps who've told me they were going to call me back within the last couple weeks because they overcharged me $60 on my last bill.  Or the rep who told me they didn't keep really detailed records on accounts they've had a lot of problems with because they didn't want anything to be subject to a subpoena.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
We have a Cingular call center in my town. My wife is trying to get. Soon you can hate her too.

So plaese keep on Cingular, do it for MY children.

ETA We all have Nextel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Cingular's "Exchange by Mail" program is kinda screwy.

Whoever advised to get an LG phone is off his rocker... LG gsm phones are total and complete trash, and the exchange by mail is the only repair option.  My advice is to get a Nokia or Motorola phone that you can send in to the manufacturer for warranty repair if needed.  Samsung phones also have very very few problems.  BTW it helps if you can find a trustworthy local agent and not have to deal so much with the "corporate" types.

Insurance is a very good idea for expensive-to-replace phones, and extremely helpful if you're past the warranty period but not eligible for a new discounted phone yet.

If cluster doesn't take care of you, IM me and I'll see what I can find out.

Quoted:
We have a Cingular call center in my town. My wife is trying to get. Soon you can hate her too.
ETA We all have Nextel.

If it's the centrally located one I'll probably be talking to her someday :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or the three different reps who told me that they were going to send me a new phone when the one I bought didn't have the features they advertised.  Or the rep that took the $150 payment I made that disappeared into thin air.  Or the rep who told me that my reconnect fee would be waived after my phone got shut off because of the disappearance of said payment.  Or the four different reps who've told me they were going to call me back within the last couple weeks because they overcharged me $60 on my last bill.  Or the rep who told me they didn't keep really detailed records on accounts they've had a lot of problems with because they didn't want anything to be subject to a subpoena.

Why didn't you talk to a manager?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:16:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

ETA We all have Nextel.

Call centers are fun. I have heard of people calling in and spending half an hour asking for long distance rates and then asking something stupid like what company it is.

If your wife doesn't like getting yelled at, getting rude people, and basically told off for everyone's troubles, then I would look somewere else. Personally I would look at SBC, but they are not hiring.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:22:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, I called them, and they say that, for some reason, the order wasn't completed last time. Figures. So, they're sending it to me expedited, should be here by the end of tomorrow.

I still friggin' hate Cingular. In urban areas with lots of coverage, the network is busy. In rural areas with no calls going through, there's no coverage.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Trust me I did.

He told me that no rep would have told me they would wave the fee.  He told me that only record a percentage of the calls and they would see if mine was recorded, just wait for them to call me back if it was.

I asked about filing a complant or talking to QA.  He said that the call center manager (the one I was talking to) was the one to take a complaint and investigate it.   After he already told me he would not do anything.

Trust me, I don't let go of $300 easily, and I consider Cingular's debt to me to be paid when they file for bankruptcy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Cingular sucks. I dropped them thieving bastards months ago and went with Verizon. Better price and better service

Yep, just got on Verizon's family plan. Cingular still hasn't mailed me my last month's refund. Punks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, just got on Verizon's family plan. Cingular still hasn't mailed me my last month's refund. Punks!

Call them daily until they do.
Not kidding...
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I renewed my plan with Cingular to get the new Razr phone.  They charged me a week of prorated fee, even though I have paid for the last month in full and am still under the same plan.  On top of that, they charged me $18 for getting a new phone just because I got a new phone (the last phone was on its way out).  They took out the prorated charge but wouldn't budge on the $18.  And the reception is still crappy.  I'd have full 5 bars reception, and suddenly get a miss call out of nowhere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't want their service, which isn't offered where I am, but I sure want the Motorazr.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trust me I did.

He told me that no rep would have told me they would wave the fee.  He told me that only record a percentage of the calls and they would see if mine was recorded, just wait for them to call me back if it was.

I asked about filing a complant or talking to QA.  He said that the call center manager (the one I was talking to) was the one to take a complaint and investigate it.   After he already told me he would not do anything.

Trust me, I don't let go of $300 easily, and I consider Cingular's debt to me to be paid when they file for bankruptcy.

He lied. I would call them back and ask for the number to his boss. If he says no, tell them you will call Kathleen L. Dowling.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:26:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I didn't like sprint, this is how i handled that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I didn't like sprint, this is how i handled that.img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zack3gpics/DSCF0187.jpg

After dealing with cingular I feel that way too......
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've talked to everyone at Cingular that I could get on the phone.  Since I got the phone in January I've spent around 15 hours on the phone with Cingular.  I've written two letters to the company president's office and haven't heard squat.  Cingular blows goats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top