Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 5:18:42 PM EDT
Panic ensues in rush for cheap laptops
Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Posted: 2:05 p.m. EDT (18:05 GMT)

Police try to control the crowd rushing to get cheap iBooks.

RICHMOND, Virginia (AP) -- A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"This is total, total chaos," said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.

More than 1,000 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple iBooks, which retail for between $999 and $1,299. The Henrico County school system was selling 1,000 of the computers to county residents.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting for hours in line. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Police would not immediately comment on the number of or extent of injuries, though witnesses said they mostly had scrapes and bruises.

"It's rather strange that we would have such a tremendous response for the purchase of a laptop computer -- and laptop computers that probably have less-than- desirable attributes," said Paul Proto, director of general services for Henrico County. "But I think that people tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event -- it almost has an entertainment value."

Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again."

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,"' the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

ETA: www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/16/computer.frenzy.ap/index.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is a fire extinguisher sized cylinder of pepper spray when you need it ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
People are animals. The police should have brought out the tasers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I for $50 I would even go to that. Even for an iBook.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
why didnt they sell them for more than 50.00??
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:39:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem is the idiots thought they were iPods.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Richmond is a bad place.  Getting worse every day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That picture looks like it's a news clip from Haiti or some other third world country.

It's sad what America's becoming.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Richmond is usually near the top of voting for "Murder Capital USA" IIRC

If it weren't for the Track (RIR) not sure why anyone would ever go there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Should've charged more money.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Should have waited until the end of the month to sell them, all of the welfare scum are broke by then, $ spent on crack and 40's of malt liquor
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]
All that picture needs is a couple of hyenas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
We had a local church try to help people by giving away shoes donated by Nike. It started an honest to God riot with about 20 arrests and about 150 officers being called out. The church won't do it again because the people damn near destroyed the church! As was proven once again in this laptop incident, there are some laws of nature that can't be broken. This particular law being that you can't assemble 3 or more "urbanites" and something given away freely without a  freakin' riot.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#15]
So I guess this weekend the Ibooks will be sold at all the local "swapmeets, flea markets and hair shops" for $500 each???

"Hey Bunishy...looky here girl I gots ma Ibook n shizzy...." "Oh damn girl, you be like all technological and shizzy.....fo sho"

"Oh you betta holla...."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I was walking through our ops center floor and saw the video from Richmond (no audio).  The caption said something like "panic at Richmond speedway" and the way folks were running I thought that there was some horrible accident or terror attack.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I guarantee that 80% of these morons will be asking for their money back once they figure out that these machines are quite limited and are at the age where they are prone to failure.

What has happened here, is that these computers were supposed to be surplused out in a manner no different than a worn out police cruiser.  However, the local media got wind of it, and really hyped up that Henrico county was 'giving' away perfectly good computers.  The publicity got so strong, that concerns grew that there wouldn't be enough to 'go around'.  Thus, the county administrators gave a special order declaring that they would only be sold to people who pay Henrico county taxes.  As usual, government logic prevails, and rather than reduce the amount of interested parties, they made it worse by reinforcing the belief that this was a golden opportunity to acquire good shit at bargain basement prices.

Viola, you get a mad rush like they are selling 10 dollar bills for a dollar.  Too bad, as probably 20% of that crowd were legitimate a low income people wanting to get a computer for their kid.  Unfortuantely, this 20% was probably trampled by those looking for digital cheese.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Are they Anus Laptops?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Richmond, and I blame Henrico County who put this together. They have been talking about this for a month on the news that the sale was going to happen.  It has been all over the news all day down here! The best was the sound bite of this old woman going my legs my legs, then telling everyone how while she was on the ground she was kicking people in the balls! They even changed the date from last week and people showed up last week from as far as Michigian! There was video of people getting trampled, fights, some woman pissed herself because she wouldn't get out of line.

The total profit from all the laptops was only $50,000. It probally cost the county $100k with renting the place, meetings to discuss this, all the police and rescue squads that had to show up after the may-lay.

EDIT: From the interviews on the 10pm Fox news I must change what I said. I can not blame it all on the county, everyone that was interviewed there sounded like an idiot also, hell they were buying Macs!

All I could think about was what if a disaster hit and they were giving out food and water!!

Thank God we are moving out to Hanover!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Are they Anus Laptops?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I live in Richmond, and I blame Henrico County who put this together. They have been talking about this for a month on the news that the sale was going to happen.  It has been all over the news all day down here! The best was the sound bite of this old woman going my legs my legs, then telling everyone how while she was on the ground she was kicking people in the balls! They even changed the date from last week and people showed up last week from as far as Michigian! There was video of people getting trampled, fights, some woman pissed herself because she wouldn't get out of line.

The total profit from all the laptops was only $50,000. It probally cost the county $100k with renting the place, meetings to discuss this, all the police and rescue squads that had to show up after the may-lay.

All I could think about was what if a disaster hit and they were giving out food and water!!

Goochland here...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#22]
They were 4 year old computers! They only have value of $50, if that. The retail values listed in the article was for iBooks that are brand new.

I probably couldn't get even $50 for my 5 year old comp I'm using now.

All that over outdated computers that aren't worth jack shit. Makes a lot of sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Video:  

rtsp://mgs.mgnetwork.com/wwbt/video/081605chaos.rm  (copy & paste into your address bar - requires Real player)
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL

Just some of Richmonds finest looking "fo a puta for da chilren."

I grew up in Hopewell, VA a lil south of Richmond. I love my state and am proud to be a Virginian but Richmond is CRAZY.

The Fire Department I was on ran calls on Jeff Davis Hwy and I have see so much insane low life shit that the computer fiasco does not seem strange at all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Goochland here...

I use to work at Camp Brady Saunders in Goochland.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
LOL

Just some of Richmonds finest looking "fo a puta for da chilren."

I grew up in Hopewell, VA a lil south of Richmond. I love my state and am proud to be a Virginian but Richmond is CRAZY.

The Fire Department I was on ran calls on Jeff Davis Hwy and I have see so much insane low life shit that the computer fiasco does not seem strange at all.

The only time I use my concealed carry license is when I venture downtown or to South Richmond.  It's a real shame, but it's a story that's played itself out over and over again all across the country.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I use to work at Camp Brady Saunders in Goochland.

For those who don't know, this is a Boy Scout facility.

I'm about 5 miles away from there, McMansion subdivisions are sprouting up around it.

We've gone upscale, and Goochland is some of the most expensive real estate in the area.  A visit to realtor. com will shock you.  Since I already owned before the ramp up, I benefit from it.  In 10 years, the answer of 'Goochland' to the question of 'Where do you live', has changed from 'Ha, enjoy the sheep!' to 'Really, I'd love to live there'.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess this is a BIG FAT NO for the NASCAR hall of fame coming to Richmond too!

Here are the latest quotes taken from the local news web site:

Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again."

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
All that over outdated computers that aren't worth jack shit. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Hey, iBook's a damned fine pewter...I beat my first wife to death with an iBook!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
This particular law being that you can't assemble 3 or more "urbanites" and something given away freely without a  freakin' riot.

Does anyone think that the fact that all those people shown rioting in the photo are black is some od coincidence?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Yes, the ANUS is much better than the ibook.

But shipping can be quite pricey
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Nubians.  The new word is nubians.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I feel sorry for Apple Tech support getting all the calls from them thinking they have support.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I can only hope they dropped an airborne, permanent, irreversible sterilizing agent so the rioters can never reproduce.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I feel sorry for Apple Tech support getting all the calls from them thinking they have support.

Big +1.. hadn't even thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This particular law being that you can't assemble 3 or more "urbanites" and something given away freely without a  freakin' riot.

Does anyone think that the fact that all those people shown rioting in the photo are black is some od coincidence?

No, offer the same in any white trash dump and you will have the same results. CRappy people come in all different colors and varieties.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't want to be the one to say that...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, offer the same in any white trash dump and you will have the same results. CRappy people come in all different colors and varieties.

interesting sociological test!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

EDIT: From the interviews on the 10pm Fox news I must change what I said. I can not blame it all on the county, everyone that was interviewed there sounded like an idiot also, hell they were buying Macs!

Don't forget the lawsuits that will be following...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#40]
btt
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Come on, be honest guys.  If the BATFE decided to sell their inventory of 500 seized M16s to help with budget shortcomings for $50 bucks each to any US citizen who shows up at their HQ, we'd be a bunch of rioting fools.

It just depends on what is being offered for what price to decide if its worth going to something you know is likely to become a crazy scene.

Every year at christmas time there are morons who end up in riots at stores as the last few of the "hit" toy that year are sold.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Lovely customer #1 sez, "Fo fitty dollas???? did it come wif a 40 of Ol'E???"

Lovely customer #2 sez back, " Helllllllllll no my man, it was already loaded with the social services websites shortcutted, you could get yo stamps in half da time, bro."

LV #1 sez, " tru dat,,,,,,,,,,tru dat"
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Come on, be honest guys.  If the BATFE decided to sell their inventory of 500 seized M16s to help with budget shortcomings for $50 bucks each to any US citizen who shows up at their HQ, we'd be a bunch of rioting fools.

It just depends on what is being offered for what price to decide if its worth going to something you know is likely to become a crazy scene.

Every year at christmas time there are morons who end up in riots at stores as the last few of the "hit" toy that year are sold.

tru dat

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Not to be particular but, I do believe it's pronounced

Aw Ight

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40822

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#45]

That's true.  Just take a drive down Richmond's Jeff Davis Turnpike and you'll see some really sweet white folks.  Remember that quotation about South Richmond from "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues?"  

"They'll sell you anything they have, which is nothing, and kill you over anything they don't understand, which is everything."
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Yes, the ANUS is much better than the ibook.

But shipping can be quite pricey

best scambait ever!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top