Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 2:51:19 PM EDT
Hold the Ford vs. Chevy debate please because it's been done to death.

Also, bear in mind that I in no way have the funds to even remotely think about buying a new vehicle.  The best I could do if I was hell-bent on getting one would be trade in my 2000 Dodge Stratus, which I figure is worth about $6,000. However, I have NO intentions of doing that so this question is just purely for my own curiosity sake.

The factor that weighs on my mind the most is gas efficiency. Are trucks generally crappier when it comes to MPG? What truck generally gets the best MPG.

My ideal truck would be a moderate to small size that gets good gas mileage and has at least a fold down seat behind the main driver and passenger seats.

I've heard good things about Toyota and Japanese trucks in general. Can't beat the price or the quality, and please hold the BUY AMERICAN comments because I'm not buying, period. Just wondering.

The reason I ask is because when I was at work today I got to drive a friend's Ford Ranger SXT (I think that's what the three letters were, I do know it was a Ford Ranger) and loved it to death.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner with extended cab sure has my attention...damn good-looking and runs like a champ.

Might wanna check it out....

HH
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The Ford Ranger is a Mazda.  I think Toyota trucks cost as much as Chevy/Ford/Dodge.

You got that backwards. The Mazda is a Ford Ranger.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I don't think you can go wrong with a Toyota. I drive a Nissan and it runs really good. I've driven 2 Nissans in the past and they were both really good cars. They were both Sentras, an 85 and an 89 and they both ran very well . I literally drove them until they wouldn't go anymore. They both had over 300,000 miles and would probably still be running if I woudl have taken better care of them. I actually miss them if you can beleive that. They were simple,easy to maintain good little cars that got 25-35 miles a gallon. Really great little cars.
Now, the truck is a 4x4 frontier that I love but it's gas mileage is pretty bad. About 13 miles a gallon and requires the high octane becuase of the super charger. I did however get 300 miles to a 19 gallon tank ONCE when I went on a 17 hour road trip driving the entire way with the tail gate down. I normally get 230-250 miles per if, IF I keep my foot out of it.
It does run really well and I haven't had any problems with it. BUT, I still don't thik you could go wrong with a Toyota and you would probably get better gas mileage also.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, the taco is a good truck and probably gets better mpg than one from the big 3.  I'm in the market myself right now and I'm looking that direction.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Ford builds trucks.

Chevy builds pick ups.

Dodge builds barriers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]

The Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner with extended cab sure has my attention...damn good-looking and runs like a champ.

+1.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job trying to keep the shit from flying there +1

IMHO and I've been through a few trucks, stay away from the Fords and Chevy's unless you are going full size.

Toyota will run forever, but cost an arm and a leg.  I just proved that to our new guy here at work.  He was all hot to trot over some Tacoma 4x4 v6 cab n half.  He ended up with a full size ford cab n half and kept some change in his pocket.

Nissan, there is my winner.  Had 2 drove them untill the wheels almost fell off.  I had my 94 Nissan wayyyy more places than my previous Toyota would have thought of going too.

Insurance on any vehicle other than the Toyota is about normal.  Another reason to stay from the Toy's IMHO.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kbi/DSC00418.jpg

+1.

'

Showoff

HH
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]
2002 Dodge CTD Ram 2500= 24mpg hwy

Diesel at $2.88 gallon =

Sorry, but to be back on topic, if I were to buy a little truck I would definitely get the toyota tacoma.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
In 1998 I bought a new Tacoma pickup. It has 4 WD, extended cab, ac, camper shell, 5 speed, 4 cylinder, manual hubs, ps and cc. I paid $14,011 CASH for it. 7 years later it has 125,000 miles, gets 18 mpg in town, 24 mpg on the highway. I have changed the oil with Mobil One since day of purchase, every 4K miles. I am on the 3rd set of BFG tires and I replaced the battery 3 years ago. It still does not use any oil at all. This truck is awesome for reliability. If it ever wears out I will buy another. Charles the Gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Nissan Titan
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
2000 tundra, 4WD
v8 axxess cab,
16-17 MPG
109k with no problems
also had a 97 T100 extended cab
and a 82 toyota hilux 4WD sr5

all have been extremely reliable, decent mileage, go anywhere trucks

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Too bad we can't get the midsize crew cabs here with the four cylinder turbo diesel like they have in Europe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I figure if I were to get a truck someday I'd have a damn good spray-in liner put on to protect the bed. The most recent American Rifleman had a review for Line-X in there that gave it pretty high marks.

Or is Rhino Linings considered better?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#17]
At the end of the day they'll all get you across the field and back home.
I prefer the Ford name, but Chevy has a more comfortable seat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:16:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I figure if I were to get a truck someday I'd have a damn good spray-in liner put on to protect the bed. The most recent American Rifleman had a review for Line-X in there that gave it pretty high marks.

Or is Rhino Linings considered better?

Line-x, I'll send you a link via IM
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
If I ever get a truck it will be a Titan..... Just looks good.

Quoted:
Nissan Titan

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#20]
and trucks have a minimum of 8 cylanders...anything less is a want-a-bee truck.

SGaTR15
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/kbi/DSC00418.jpg

+1.

I love my Taco too!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top