Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 1:20:53 PM EDT
I did it for 4 years, got the dd214 to prove it.  I don't understand the thread about wanting to see " shots fired".  If he had any idea what it actually means to take a life, he might change his mind.  Killing people is not why one should attempt to serve their country.  You know who volunteers with the sole intention of killing people, Terrorists.  This man really needs to reevaluate his priorities, and do  some soul searching.

The USCG, is an armed service and more.  They help stop the flow of illegal drugs, immigration, and are the first line of defense for the homeland.  In what other service do you get the opportunity to sreve as well as actually help save lives, and better the everyday life of your average american.  

I was very sad to read that thread, there are some in this country who cannot serve and would do anything for the opportunity, and this guy wants to complain about not being on the front line.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My hats off to the Coast Guard. Saving lives and helping to keep our country safe every day.  My uncle flew for them 15+ years in Alaska. My father also served for a number of years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know that other guys motivation, but for me...I hate the water.

Sgat1r54
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have great respect for all those who serve our country in every branch. That being said, when I was 18 and joined the Marine Corps I did so because I wanted to go to combat. I was desperate for it actually. I think that's normal for many 18 year olds who grew up reading military history, seeing all the movies, etc.
I understand both sides of what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The Coast Guard is the services that always see action, war time and peace.

I have a friend who is an officer in the USCG, he graduated from the academy, he is currently surving in the Persian Gulf.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Semper, I have nothing but respect for the Coast Guard, but I think you are too politically correct and post-modern in your criticism of the other poster's yearn to see combat.  He didn't say "I want to kill someone" he said "I want to see combat."  That's why many people join the military in the first place...the desire to see combat, to "see the elephant" and find out what they're made of.  Don't belittle it just because you don't understand it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't the CG have more battle streamers than any other branch?  Much respect.  One of the few government agencies I can say that about.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
His little brother, me, did 10 years and became an 8541 Instructor, husband, and daddy to three daughters.

I wouldn't trade the Corps part............but Glenn really had the right stuff.  

The Chaplain told my parents that he had buried many of flag rank, a few Admirals and a couple of Commandants.........and never saw so many enlisted show up for one of them.

www.arlingtoncemetery.net/glsnyder.htm
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Semper, I have nothing but respect for the Coast Guard, but I think you are too politically correct and post-modern in your criticism of the other poster's yearn to see combat.  He didn't say "I want to kill someone" he said "I want to see combat."  That's why many people join the military in the first place...the desire to see combat, to "see the elephant" and find out what they're made of.  Don't belittle it just because you don't understand it.

Your right, he did not say I want to kill someone.  But he did say I want to shoot someone real bad.  I understand both sides of wanting to be n combat.  Thats why IO becam a boarding team member and later a boarding team officer/leader.  I'm not belitteling anything that I don't understand.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right, he did not say I want to kill someone.  But he did say I want to shoot someone real bad.  I understand both sides of wanting to be n combat.  Thats why IO becam a boarding team member and later a boarding team officer/leader.  I'm not belitteling anything that I don't understand.  

While I agree, I've heard the stories my father has told me about war and I would not want to relive it. But I don't blame J_Smith for wanting to kill himself a few baddies.

Your telling me you don't want to taste the blood of your enemy? I hope that theres lots of people like J_Smith in the military eager to kill. But thats my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:33:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I did it for 4 years, got the dd214 to prove it.  I don't understand the thread about wanting to see " shots fired".  If he had any idea what it actually means to take a life, he might change his mind.  Killing people is not why one should attempt to serve their country.  You know who volunteers with the sole intention of killing people, Terrorists.  This man really needs to reevaluate his priorities, and do  some soul searching.

The USCG, is an armed service and more.  They help stop the flow of illegal drugs, immigration, and are the first line of defense for the homeland.  In what other service do you get the opportunity to sreve as well as actually help save lives, and better the everyday life of your average american.  

I was very sad to read that thread, there are some in this country who cannot serve and would do anything for the opportunity, and this guy wants to complain about not being on the front line.  

You  see that  part in red .
That is why .
I  could  never  be party to saying I  am the first  line of defense to stop  illegal drugs on one  hand  and  than  look  the other way at  my fellow memebers drug use  .
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]
There is nothing wrong with wanting to kill terrorists.

Almost half of my unit volunteered to either exceed the maximum deployed time for a reservist or be reassigned to this unit for the chance to come over here and kill terrorists.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't understand the thread about wanting to see " shots fired".  

To quote Winston Churchill, "there is nothing more satisfying than to be shot at and missed."

BTDT

this guy wants to complain about not being on the front line.

Would you have wanted to sit out WWII in a stateside post?

Fuck no, I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the water.
I'd love to be in the CG.

But we aint got much need for the CG here in the watery land of Kansas.

And I sure as hell aint movin just to be in the CG.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a couple buddies who are rescue swimmers.  They'd be OK if they weren't so damn full of themselves.  

I have a lot of respect for what the CG does and appreciate the service of all those who chose that route.  I realize that they risk their lives in the service of their country and give them the same regard as any of the other branches.  However.

The primary occupations of the branches that fall under the Department of Defense are killing people and breaking things.  The Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps are focused on war-fighting.  That is their raison d'etre.  And the profession of arms is an ancient, honorable and necessary one.  Modern society has perverted the way that it's viewed by simultaneously glorifying it in entertainment and denigrating it in polite company, so there are a lot of fucked up attitudes about what it means to be a "warrior."  But it's still a special calling.

The Coast Guard, I'm aware, has a war-time role that it fulfills valiantly.  That having been said, I wouldn't characterize it's primary mission as "war-fighting."  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Cant shoot terrorists in a house in Baghdad, from a Coast Guard Cutter.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I wanted to and shpould have crossed over form the navy when my enlistment was up. When you meet some members of a LE Det who went through BUDS and wear the Budweiser on there uniform you realize that the USCG is the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No, but you can shell coastal villages with the 5" mount.  

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but you can shell coastal villages with the 5" mount.  

Kharn

And the fun in that lies.....where?

Being Infantry, we can go in after you shell and mop up the surviving terrorists and kill them and use them for Military Intelligence.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#20]
USCG, from what I've heard, rocks, if you like the water. A friend of mine's dad is a Commander in it, and a USAF friend of ours had lots of friends in it. A fair number of people recommended it to me (eyes kept me out of that too).

From what I was told you get to be home. Long overseas deployments happen, but typically you're home far more than those in the Navy could hope to be. Some people like that, some don't. But it's stable family. If you're unlucky in the g/f dept (like me) this isn't a consideration.
Plus, you do get to see "action". Anti-drug, anti-terror, etc. Hell, my old physics teacher specifically joined the Coast Guard to avoid getting drafted into Vietnam. He ended up there anyway.  Lots of jobs, lots of places to be posted at, etc.

The "bad" parts where that a lot of people, because people can be dicks, don't have much respect for the USCG. This despite them doing a damn good job with jack shit for funding most of the time. The other bad part is that when the weather sucks, and nobody in their right mind should be on the water, some jackass will be. And you get to go get him.

USCG always seemed like a damn good choice to me. Maybe someday I'll do a book on 'em  or something.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Every red-blooded American should want to kill the enemies of our country.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
usmilitary.about.com/od/coastguard/a/uscgwar.htm

they might not get as much trigger time, but anyone over in the middle east is likely to get shot at at some point
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I had an uncle that wanted to survive WW2. He was a great sailor, star class. olympic quality . He joined the Coast Guard to hang out in Cape Cod and be near his woman. He ended up on LST 67 in the South Pacific with 18 straight months of combat, 11 invasions, a purple heart and 2 Japanese planes credited to his gun crew.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top