Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 5:11:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Blew a tire on the plane this morning.  Crappy timing since my next stop was home.

So, they have to fly up another wheel assembly, I had to get a rental car and drive an hour to get home vs. an 8 minute flight in the plane to get home...........

driving sucks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I will start flying again..I get to take my ninja stars, razor blades, ice picks and corkscrews again juat to get me through the gates .10% faster, shoes will not come off unless I set off the detector..wwhich is cool, the C4 is filled with metal.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:27:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, I will start flying again..I get to take my ninja stars, razor blades, ice picks and corkscrews again juat to get me through the gates .10% faster, shoes will not come off unless I set off the detector..wwhich is cool, the C4 is filled with metal.

Isn't that absolutely incredible?  The talking heads (even on fox) we're defending this.  Absolutely effing incredible.  Knifes up to 5".
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that absolutely incredible?  The talking heads (even on fox) we're defending this.  Absolutely effing incredible.  Knifes up to 5".

So you'd rather be defenseless if some Islamist group decides to take the plane over?

Don't be a sheeple. I expect talk like that elsewhere - not here.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:31:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll be doing lots of flying soon:

Shanghai - Beijing - Tokyo - San Francisco - Seattle - Bellingham - Seattle - Juneau - Sitka

All in a 48 hour period.

It's gonna rock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you'd rather be defenseless if some Islamist group decides to take the plane over?

That's an odd take on it.  So you'd rather a plane with everyone armed.  You know most won't.  Then you'll be in an unfair fight.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:42:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Statistically flying is the safest form of transport…

…but when it goes wrong it tends to be 100% fatal.

Much truth here..........hitting the ground at 250 knots + is hard to survive.  I don't care how well you time the impact and jump at the last second to cushion the impact............it will still kick your ass.

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many people do they realy check? 1 in 4?  So the terrorist has a 75% chance of getting on the plane anyway and I have a 25% chance of being raped by some guy with a wand cause he wants to see my feet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#10]

That's an odd take on it.  So you'd rather a plane with everyone armed.  You know most won't.  Then you'll be in an unfair fight.

Unfair to who?  The chumps who choose to let someone else try to save their ass, or unfair to you cuz the 8 ROP'ers will be the only ones with a weapon?
Matthew
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Unfair to who?  The chumps who choose to let someone else try to save their ass, or unfair to you cuz the 8 ROP'ers will be the only ones with a weapon?
Matthew

unfair to all of us...from another thread quoting the ap news story on this...here is you answer:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/13/national/w234140D88.DTL

The Aug. 5 memo recommends reducing patdowns by giving screeners the discretion not to search those wearing tight-fitting clothes. It also suggests exempting several categories of passengers from screening, including federal judges, members of Congress, Cabinet members, state governors, high-ranking military officers and those with high-level security clearances.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A "fair fight" is a concept for people who aren't committing mass murder.  That has nothing at all to do with this discussion.  No matter how much people want to blame inanimate objects like knives, 9/11 happened for one simple reason - the crew was trained to fully comply with hijackers.  Look at the news these days - if one person starts getting belligerent and gets out of their seat, a half dozen passengers will attack and restrain that person.  The public is now aware that the policies that we used to have were flawed and understands that their safety is something they must take an active role in.

Taking random objects from people and telling them they have to either give them up or miss their flight has added no extra security and created widespread contempt for the security people.  How do you feel about them selling all of that property on ebay or sticking it in their pockets?  It's hard to focus on security when you have a bunch of people looking for excuses to steal stuff from others.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#14]
It is pretty scary but if I had to die in plane crash, I would pick that way. Those passengers were lucky - they lost consiciousness and never saw the end... contrast that with that which the 9/11 passengers dealt with
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I guess if I have to fly with a bunch of whackos, I'll get a big bad Bowie knife.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is pretty scary but if I had to die in plane crash, I would pick that way. Those passengers were lucky - they lost consiciousness and never saw the end... contrast that with that which the 9/11 passengers dealt with

Some of the news stories quoted relatives who recd text messages from them saying goodbye.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some of the news stories quoted relatives who recd text messages from them saying goodbye.

And I want to go out fully conscious and screaming.
The end result is the same, so why deny yourself a once-in-a-lifetime experience?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd rather be the only guy armed on a flight where something bad (terror related) than just another unarmed guy.

BTW fair fight? What century are you living in?  Like taking over an airliner and flying it into a target is a fair fight... I'll take the most lopsided (in my favor) fight anyday.

Sorry 'bout the threadjack, Vito.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd rather be the only guy armed on a flight where something bad (terror related) than just another unarmed guy.

BTW fair fight? What century are you living in?  Like taking over an airliner and flying it into a target is a fair fight... I'll take the most lopsided (in my favor) fight anyday.

Sorry 'bout the threadjack, Vito.

You misunderstood me.  Someone commented thay'd rather be armed than a sheeple.  I said besides the terrorists you'll most likely be the only one armed.  Assuming everyone else in the plane is a sheeple.  Also, asuuming there are several terrorists, you'll get your knife up ur ass.  The rest of the sheeple will cower.  Repeat 9-11.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You misunderstood me.  Someone commented thay'd rather be armed than a sheeple.  I said besides the terrorists you'll most likely be the only one armed.  Assuming everyone else in the plane is a sheeple.  Also, asuuming there are several terrorists, you'll get your knife up ur ass.  The rest of the sheeple will cower.  Repeat 9-11.

No way.  There are no more sheeple when the security of the aircraft is at question.  A repeat of a 9-11 style hijacking would result in a few terrorists being beaten to death by your so called "sheeple".
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No way.  There are no more sheeple when the security of the aircraft is at question.  A repeat of a 9-11 style hijacking would result in a few terrorists being beaten to death by your so called "sheeple".

Not my so called sheeple my friend.  I believe it's a term used here all day long.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Something doesn't sound right.  The pilots on my jet have qucik-don masks right next to them in case cabin pressure is lost.  The reason Payne Stewart's plane crashed is because the pilot's didn't recognize a slow decompression, therefore they failed to take action to correct the problem.  Again my jet has the cabin pressure displayed in two places and annunciators to also let you know if the pressure drops, I'm going to have to believe that if the Air Force has it, the airlines have had the same system for years.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my so called sheeple my friend.  I believe it's a term used here all day long.  

To clarify: the world is filled with sheeple in many places, but I don't believe that sheeple will exist on an airliner hijacked by box cutting wielded terrorists, much as they didn't exist on Flight 93 once word on the terrorists plans reached the heroic passengers on that doomed plane.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Greek plane crash firm grounds all planes
08:06am 15th August 2005
What is RSS?

Crash: Black boxes have been located
The budget airline ...

That's all I needed to read.  

RIP all those passengers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

agree.

Any hijack in the US will now be assumed to be a suicide mission rather than a "traditional" hijacking with demands of safe passage, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Scary as hell!

ANdy

Greek plane crash firm grounds all planes
08:06am 15th August 2005
What is RSS?

.............................. which killed of all 121 passengers and crew on board.
Many of the bodies recovered from the Greece plane crash were 'frozen solid' after a catastrophic drop in cabin pressure at 35,000ft.

The report reinforces expert opinion that the 121 passengers froze to death at minus 50c after a catastrophic drop in cabin pressure at 35,000ft...............................

Oh great. Since TSA swung into action I have been co-operating by showing up in a tank top, speedo and flip flops to speed things along. So now I have to arrive dressed like an Inuit. But they're saying I can now carry my harpoon. Cool.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope you are correct but I have a feeling that there would only be a small chance of someone on any given flight actually doing something about it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Something doesn't sound right.  The pilots on my jet have qucik-don masks right next to them in case cabin pressure is lost.  The reason Payne Stewart's plane crashed is because the pilot's didn't recognize a slow decompression, therefore they failed to take action to correct the problem.  Again my jet has the cabin pressure displayed in two places and annunciators to also let you know if the pressure drops, I'm going to have to believe that if the Air Force has it, the airlines have had the same system for years.

That's what I'm thinking! Sounds like that airline has some serious operational procedure problems!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking! Sounds like that airline has some serious operational procedure problems!

"Budget Airline"  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would hope you are correct but I have a feeling that there would only be a small chance of someone on any given flight actually doing something about it.

BigDozer66

No so...  since 9/11 there have been a LOT of instances where passengers "took down" someone who was being unruly.  The ones that come off the top of my head include the infamous "Shoe bomber", the lady who tried to open the emergency door, a drunkard who was going nuts, and many others like that.

The mentality of almost EVERYONE who flies after 9/11 has changed and I don't see any more hijackings of the 9/11 type occurring without passenger uprising.  When you are faced with certain death in a hijacking, a knife or boxcutter becomes irrelevant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top