Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 8:31:57 PM EDT
I went to visit my GFs moms place this weekend.  I have an Avalanche that gets about 16 miles per gallon.  Takes about $100 in gas each way.  So I went to the Enterprise Rent a crap down the street and they gave me a Lancer for $19 a day.  I was able to go up north and get back on $40.  So I was able to actually save money by parking my truck in my driveway and use their car.  This gas thing is getting crazy.  

I have a Prius on order from my buddy at Toyota.  So I shouldnt have this problem again.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, with the Prius, that trip will probably only cost you $20.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I went to visit my GFs moms place this weekend.  I have an Avalanche that gets about 16 miles per gallon.  Takes about $100 in gas each way.  So I went to the Enterprise Rent a crap down the street and they gave me a Lancer for $19 a day.  I was able to go up north and get back on $40.  So I was able to actually save money by parking my truck in my driveway and use their car.

It would be even cheaper to own a car that gets good milage and rent a truck the times you need one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, no.  I got the truck for business and took the tax write offs. The $40000 trucks final cost was around $17000.  So I had to do it.  

But, now its starting to hurt when one tank full costs $60.  

The Lancer is a neat little car by the way.  I can fully tell its related to the EVO.  Real stable at high crusing speeds even with the little econo tires.  Drove exceptionally well.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get into a wreck with the econobox.

My truck gets 11mpg.  I want my next one to gte about 20.  Either diesel if I can afford it, or I'll have to go with a dinky engine.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My truck gets 11mpg.  I want my next one to gte about 20.  Either diesel if I can afford it, or I'll have to go with a dinky engine.

Thats what my GF said.  One hit from a F250 or  HUMMER and it will be over.  It did have full airbags but its not going help if your crushed like a tin can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Just saw the new Ford Escape hybrid.  Sticker says 33 mpg city, 28 (I think) highway.

33 mpg city!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Lancer has better handling than an Avalance, meaning less likely to get into an accident.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm just changing jobs, and will get a company car, which they say can be use for unlimited personal use, at no charge. If the unlimited personal use is true, I will be parking my pickup except for ocassional use.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yep, with the Prius, that trip will probably only cost you $30,000 plus $20.  

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the beuaty of it.  My buddy works for Toyo and is getting it for me since we are basically relatives.  $15000 and some change.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:25:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, no.  I got the truck for business and took the tax write offs. The $40000 trucks final cost was around $17000.  So I had to do it.  

The Lancer is a neat little car by the way.  I can fully tell its related to the EVO.  Real stable at high crusing speeds even with the little econo tires.  Drove exceptionally well.  

If you really like the Lancer, you should get that instead.  The issue with the Prius is you might not get what the EPA says you will get...instead of 60, owners have been reporting 35-40 MPG.  That's probably what you will get with the Lancer.  

ETA-or do the ARFCOM thing and GET BOTH!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I drive a Lancer. For an econobox it's not too bad. It handles pretty well and is roomy. But it's not as fuel efficient as some of the other (and often less expensive) econoboxes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you really like the Lancer, you should get that instead.  The issue with the Prius is you might not get what the EPA says you will get...instead of 60, owners have been reporting 35-40 MPG.  That's probably what you will get with the Lancer.  

ETA-or do the ARFCOM thing and GET BOTH!!!

The awesome thing about the Prius is that I could drive it for 2 years and sell it for a profit.  They are going for $4k above sticker sometimes. If I got it to California, I would be able to sell it for even more.  My mom is out there so thats most likely what I will do.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Gas goes up again today, 20 cent increase, at least for those who live in MI. [wife works for a gas station conglom.] Will be 2.79 by end of day. Yippee.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't an avalanche big enough that you can write the whole thing off? Larger trucks you write off $ 25 first year plus 1/3 of the amount of cost over 25k each year for 3 years.

Exactly, so far, thats what the savings have been. I was not able to take off the entire $25k the first year because my side business only made $20k. So I wrote off the $20k or so and the $3k this last year.  The truck is only 2 years old.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:36:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats the beuaty of it.  My buddy works for Toyo and is getting it for me since we are basically relatives.  $15000 and some change.  

That's $15,000 and $20.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok, just returned the car. $64.97 with tax.  $16 and $19 in gas fills.  Total $99.97.

Would have cost the Avalanche $120 in gas and wear and tear on the truck.  

These gas prices suck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's $15,000 and $20.

WTF??? He's getting a NEW CAR! HELLO? a new truck/street-tank would cost $20,000 + $1000
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Why not just buy a MOPED?

100 mpg

or better yet, a bicycle?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The awesome thing about the Prius is that I could drive it for 2 years and sell it for a profit.  They are going for $4k above sticker sometimes. If I got it to California, I would be able to sell it for even more.  My mom is out there so thats most likely what I will do.

SELL the Prius RIGHT NOW - take the profit and buy gas for the Avalanche

Best of both worlds!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

100 mpg

Fightfor,
I don't think a moped would work very well in Michigan where they have a real winter.  

Also, some of the mopeds need a "M" license-for motorcycle.  A hybrid or small car would make more sense.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

100 mpg

Got both of them and a couple of motorcycles.  They are great for around town but you dont want to go 600 miles in the rain on bike.  

But the Prius is a year old with 20000 miles on it for $15000.  I can drive it for a year or 2 and get all the money back.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

100 mpg

Fightfor,
I don't think a moped would work very well in Michigan where they have a real winter.  

Also, some of the mopeds need a "M" license-for motorcycle.  A hybrid or small car would make more sense.  

UNDER 50cc only a 3 year moped lic needed. Kid runs a yamaha Razz 100MPG and after 2+ years all I have done is change the final drive fluid and oil and gas + 1 airfilter cleaning. Runs like the day we bought it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

100 mpg

Fightfor,

Friggin WIMPS!

I was born & raised in Michigan (Lansing, Owosso, Spring Lake, Rainbow Lake) - I rode a 650 street motorcycle ALL YEAR ROUND.

I'd only wipe out when stopping - the last 3 mph on a snow covered parking lot are a bitch.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

100 mpg

Fightfor,

UNDER 50cc only a 3 year moped lic needed. Kid runs a yamaha Razz 100MPG and after 2+ years all I have done is change the final drive fluid and oil and gas + 1 airfilter cleaning. Runs like the day we bought it.

But its a bitch in 2 feet of snow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#28]
The real expense isn't the milage as much as it is running the car the distance.

Renting a car for a quick long trip is the way to go.   Where else can I drop $150 for 1500 miles in a weekend?  Even stayed in the same 'make and model' but 14 years newer.  I'm ignoring the fuel just because if I drove my car I'd have to pay it anyway.  1500x$.4=$600 (40 cents used as its around what is deductable for 'wear and tear).  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends upon how many times the Prius software reboots and leaves you stranded. Or the computer thinks the batteries are dead and shuts everything down. They ain't flawless yet.

I'm all for hybrids. I just don't think they've got the bugs ironed out or the batteries where they need to be yet. I figure they'll change the design/build yearly until maybe about 5 years from now they might finally be getting it right. ("They" being all makers pursuing gas/electric hybrids).

Don't even care about all the hydrogen/electric hybrids. I think those are  non-starters for a long, long time.

I do thank all of the early adopters though from the bottom of my wallet. Better you than me. Thanks for doing the real world testing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Something about selling my dignity to drive a Toyota Prius doesn't sit right with me.  The thumbs up and smiles from all the hippies with JOhn KErry stickers on the back of their Jap-crap would be enough to make me drive into the nearest telephone poll.

With 16MPG @ $3/gallon (which it isn't), you'll pay $.19 per mile.  100,000miles = $18,750
With 60MPG @ $3/gallon you'll pay $.05 per mile. $5,000 + $15,000 - (selfrespect) = priceless.

Ok, so in what, about 7 years of average driving you'd make up the price of the Prius?
In addition, you're putting yourself in real danger with your increased risk of major accident due to poor eyesight... I mean, you're driving an Avalanche?  What, did your AMC Pacer crap out on you last week while your Honda Element was in the shop?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Something about selling my dignity to drive a Toyota Prius doesn't sit right with me.  The thumbs up and smiles from all the hippies with JOhn KErry stickers on the back of their Jap-crap would be enough to make me drive into the nearest telephone poll.

With 16MPG @ $3/gallon (which it isn't), you'll pay $.19 per mile.  100,000miles = $18,750
With 60MPG @ $3/gallon you'll pay $.05 per mile. $5,000 + $15,000 - (selfrespect) = priceless.

Ok, so in what, about 7 years of average driving you'd make up the price of the Prius?
In addition, you're putting yourself in real danger with your increased risk of major accident due to poor eyesight... I mean, you're driving an Avalanche?  What, did your AMC Pacer crap out on you last week while your Honda Element was in the shop?

WTF are you talking about.  I have an opportunity to buy a Prius at below cost.  Then I could sell in a year a make several thousand in addition to the savings in gas money.  I would keep my Avalanche and my BMW Z4.  

Why would I lose self respect driving a Toyota unless your one of those communist UAW types.  So you cant drive a fuel efficient car and have self-respect?  Dude get you head out of your ass and get some oxygen.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

WTF are you talking about.  I have an opportunity to buy a Prius at below cost.  Then I could sell in a year a make several thousand in addition to the savings in gas money.  I would keep my Avalanche and my BMW.  

Right - and Prius's command OVER sticker right now.

So BUY the Prius, SELL the Prius, and use the PROFIT to keep driving your other cars.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top