Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 5:05:58 PM EDT
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/13/AR2005081300134_pf.html

WRIGHT, Wyo. -- A tornado struck a mobile home park with little warning, killing two people and injuring about a dozen others, authorities said.

<snip>

Like moths to a flame!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Archive my threads and you will see that exact thing happened to a friend of mine about two years ago. The tornado only took his trailer, nothing else within 10 yards was touched. They found his trailer across the road with him and his wife in it. Very sad day....
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
why are tornados attracted to trailer parks anyway?  is it something to do with the way that the cold air from under the trailer moves over the top of the spoiler on the 78 firebird that has been on blocks for years in the yard?  or is it something even more sinister?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Tornados like wide open flat areas.  Also an F1 or F2 Tornado that would just damage a well constructed house, will just out destroy a mobile home.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
A few years back, a friend and I attended a community leadership class.  Part of this class was to develope a business idea that would benefit the community and then write a paper about it.  We wanted to propose the idea that a decoy mobile home park should be developed to draw tornadoes away from our city.  Eventually our better judgement got ahold of us and we got serious about the paper.  Anyway, I still think it is a valid idea.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
why are tornados attracted to trailer parks anyway?  is it something to do with the way that the cold air from under the trailer moves over the top of the spoiler on the 78 firebird that has been on blocks for years in the yard?  or is it something even more sinister?

Mobile homes don't attract tornadoes. However, mobile homes make excellent tornado detectors.

A tornado that would only rip away some shingles and roofing material on a well built home will flip a mobile home over. A tornado that is strong enough to rip the roof from a well built house will completely obliterate a mobile home. The weakest tornadoes will cause major problems in a trailer park.

So again, mobile homes aren't tornado magnets, but rather, tornado indicators.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think it is a vortex from unbraided mullets
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Most mobile homes lack a front porch....hence, they lose the extra weight stability of the old washer & dryer thereon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/13/AR2005081300134_pf.html

WRIGHT, Wyo. -- A tornado struck a mobile home park with little warning, killing two people and injuring about a dozen others, authorities said.

<snip>

Like moths to a flame!

Here you go rocket scientist:

Story

Two Killed When Tornado Hits Wyoming Town

The Associated Press
Saturday, August 13, 2005; 2:20 AM

Three people remained missing late Friday night.

The twister touched down Friday afternoon in this coal-mining town of 1,400 people about 100 miles northeast of Casper, said Campbell County Sheriff Bill Pownall.

"The warning was going off just as it hit from what I understand," Pownall said. "They didn't have a lot of time to seek shelter."

Jeff Rech, assistant chief of the Campbell County Fire Department, said residents had about five minutes warning of the approaching storm.

"It was one of those freak deals," he said.

Some 30 to 40 homes in the mobile home park were either damaged or destroyed. A nearby elementary school also was damaged, the sheriff said.

One person was found dead at the scene, while a second died at Campbell County Memorial Hospital in Gillette, Pownall said. Two people were in fair condition at the hospital, and five others had been treated and released, officials said.

"I talked to one couple and they can remember flying through the air and screaming at each other," said Dianna Riley, hospital nursing supervisor. "And then they woke up.

Rescue personnel from two coal mines in the area were helping firefighters and police search the debris. About 50 people were expected to spend the night at a shelter.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

Like moths to a flame!

Here you go rocket scientist:

Story

Two Killed When Tornado Hits Wyoming Town

The Associated Press
Saturday, August 13, 2005; 2:20 AM

Three people remained missing late Friday night.

The twister touched down Friday afternoon in this coal-mining town of 1,400 people about 100 miles northeast of Casper, said Campbell County Sheriff Bill Pownall.

"The warning was going off just as it hit from what I understand," Pownall said. "They didn't have a lot of time to seek shelter."

Jeff Rech, assistant chief of the Campbell County Fire Department, said residents had about five minutes warning of the approaching storm.

"It was one of those freak deals," he said.

Some 30 to 40 homes in the mobile home park were either damaged or destroyed. A nearby elementary school also was damaged, the sheriff said.

One person was found dead at the scene, while a second died at Campbell County Memorial Hospital in Gillette, Pownall said. Two people were in fair condition at the hospital, and five others had been treated and released, officials said.

"I talked to one couple and they can remember flying through the air and screaming at each other," said Dianna Riley, hospital nursing supervisor. "And then they woke up.

Rescue personnel from two coal mines in the area were helping firefighters and police search the debris. About 50 people were expected to spend the night at a shelter.

I didnt hotlink nor posted the whole story cause it was irrelevant to my point:  tornadoes vs. trailer parks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is a vortex from unbraided mullets

You guys kill me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top