Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 10:50:42 AM EDT
Ive got a miserable cold that Ive had for 4 days now. I havnt had a cold for over a year but the last couple times I have Ive went to the doctor to get antibiotics. They usually give me amoxacilin or however its spelled. It alwasy takes about 2 hours of waiting for a 10 minute checkup. It a bunch of BS because I always get the same prescription for my colds and always have the same symptoms.

So Iam wondering if I should try to fight this cold. Ive heard taking antibiotics all the time can be bad so maybe I should just fight this one out? IVe still been able to work although it sucks working in the heat while sneezing, coughing and having a runny noze. I wonder if theres any natural herbs I could get to help?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
a cold is viral, an antibiotic will do nothing to combat it.  I say get some dayquil for the daytime and some nyquil for when you sleep and just tough it out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on Dayquil.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
IVe got nyquil. Does dayquil have the same affects as nyquil? I operate machines so I cant be on cloud 9 too much
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IVe got nyquil. Does dayquil have the same affects as nyquil? I operate machines so I cant be on cloud 9 too much

no it has pseudophedrine in it which tends to wire me out a bit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
a cold is viral, an antibiotic will do nothing to combat it.  I say get some dayquil for the daytime and some nyquil for when you sleep and just tough it out.

+1000

Taking antibiotics for a cold is like driving an Edsel to releive acne.  One has no effect on the other.  TRH is absolutely correct.  Your best bet is to stock up on vitamin C, and Cold Eaze.  Cold Eaze has worked wonders for me.  

Taking Antibiotics for colds and other viruses is useless.  The only thing it accomplishes is killing the natural fauna of bacteria in you body that is supposed to be there.   Those bacteria are instrumental in fighting dangerous microbes that would otherwise lead to nasty hard to treat infections.  Additionally, low dose antibiotics (Amoxicillan) will do nothing but help nasty bugs get more resistant to other antibiotics.  In the long run, you aren't doing yourself any favors.

Most viruses usually clear your system in a week to 10 days anyway.  The best thing you can do is get a script or Over the Counter meds for the symptoms.  Let the body fight the virus, thereby building your natural immune system for the next bug that comes around.

P.S.  I am not a doctor, but used to educate Docs and Nurses on the value and proper use of Antibiotics and Anti-virals.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Try Sudafed or another OTC cold reliever.  What has always worked great for me is "Theraflu with honey."  Add hot water and drink like a tea.  It has a decongestant and also a painreliever too.  It may be overkill though and might make you loopy.  YMMV.  Try on a day off or during you offtime to see how you react.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok guys I'll try it. Can I get cold eaze at the drugstore? Is it a pill?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok guys I'll try it. Can I get cold eaze at the drugstore? Is it a pill?

Cold ease is a chewable pill if I recall.  (Haven't needed it in a while.)

Tastes like vitamin C with a kick.  You still may need a decongestant.  There are several available that won't make you loopy.  When in doubt, ask the pharmacist.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Colds are a virus, antibiotics kill bacteria.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, I got the cold eaze(throat lozenges), a box of theraflu, more nyquil and a 24 pack of icehouse to complement the nyquil.
j/k on the icehouse Thanks for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top