Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 11:44:08 AM EDT
I was trying to resurect a wheel barrow tire from the trash with some Fix A Flat.  The tire was dry rotted and I figured what the hell, so i attached the Fix A Flat as per instructions and mashed the button. The hose blew off of the can and sprayed my upper body with the solution. It even got into my eyes.  Good thing that I was at home and not out on the side of a road.  I washed the stuff off and flushed my eyes. The eyes stung a bit and the stuff irritated my skin a bit but not too bad. I was so sweaty that the stuff couldn't cling very good I think.

Be careful with this stuff.  If it can happen to me, it could happen to one of you!  I emailed the company and warned them about the problem.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the hose not securely on the valve stem? Or was the valve stem rotten etc?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was the hose not securely on the valve stem? Or was the valve stem rotten etc?

The failure was where the hose connects to the can, not the end that connects to the valve stem.  The defect was their end.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Tire stores HATE people who use fix-a-flat or an other similar product.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tire stores HATE people who use fix-a-flat or an other similar product.

Does it ruin the tire or something?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It can explode.  You need to tell them its in your tire before they work on it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
they hate it because they cant find the holes when they dunk it in the water to find the leak. the tire needs the pressure of the car (weight) on it to find the hole. fix-a-flat gets in the hole and wont let the air out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
they hate it because they cant find the holes when they dunk it in the water to find the leak. the tire needs the pressure of the car (weight) on it to find the hole. fix-a-flat gets in the hole and wont let the air out.

Isn't that the whole idea of putting the stuff in your tire originally? To FIX-A-FLAT?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah but they need to find the hole to patch it, duh! try finding a hole when theyre are no holes to be seen. fix-a-flat is not a problem solver, it is a solution so you can get to the tire store to either get it fixed or replced.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#10]
These guys have a great product.

Link

or for those computer savvy

http://www.ride-on.com/index.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember seeing a documentary set in the Arctic once, and the guys actually put a new uninflated tire around a rim, then filled the tire with propane.  They then threw a match into the propane filled tire, and in the process of exploding, the tire inflated and grabbed onto the rim.   It was strange, but instantly inflated right around the rim with a loud ping.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I remember seeing a documentary set in the Arctic once, and the guys actually put a new uninflated tire around a rim, then filled the tire with propane.  They then threw a match into the propane filled tire, and in the process of exploding, the tire inflated and grabbed onto the rim.   It was strange, but instantly inflated right around the rim with a loud ping.

O.K., who'll be the first idiot here to try that out? Poll coming!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O.K., who'll be the first idiot here to try that out? Poll coming!

Idiot here.....I've done that a coupla times to reseat tractor tires.

Never used propane, WD40 works pretty good. Ya get a big "WHOOMP" sound and that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That is SOP on a farm or for 4 wheel drive types except they use starting fluid/either.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
i saw that also...

but then again... i worked for man that lost his hearing doing that...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I usually keep one can in the car, but have only actually used the product in an old, dry-rotted snowblower tire.  I think the cans the last few years were supposed to be made with a non-flammable propellent, but the old ones could be dangerous, I suppose.

Glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

WD40, CRC556, any aerosol lube, starting fluid etc will do that.  I do it all the time.  It is how we used to mount truck tires before the invention of the OSHA approved blast can which is basically a small tank charged by a compressor with a ball valve that allows you to "blast" air into the unseated tire and thereby seat it.  I still prefer the light it and run way though.  However, if there is a hole in the tire, it will keep burning.  Also works on riding mowers etc w/tubeless tires.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is SOP on a farm or for 4 wheel drive types except they use starting fluid/eitherEther.

Spelling corrected....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is SOP on a farm or for 4 wheel drive types except they use starting fluid/either.

Yep, we did that at Discount quite often back in the day for huge tires.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is SOP on a farm or for 4 wheel drive types except they use starting fluid/eitherEther.

Spelling corrected....

Thanks!  I can die happy now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WD40, CRC556, any aerosol lube, starting fluid etc will do that.  I do it all the time.  It is how we used to mount truck tires before the invention of the OSHA approved blast can which is basically a small tank charged by a compressor with a ball valve that allows you to "blast" air into the unseated tire and thereby seat it.  I still prefer the light it and run way though.  However, if there is a hole in the tire, it will keep burning.  Also works on riding mowers etc w/tubeless tires.

We were out at the sand dunes one time when a friend of mine lost his tire pressure and then lost the bead.  We sprayed some ether starting fluid around the inside of the rim and lit it.  A loud "whump" was definatly audible.  Saved us two hours of walking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I never use the stuff ....

other things I never use:

Radiator stop leak
Cooling system stop leak
Oil additives like STP, etc.
Oil stop leak
Trans stop leak
Duct tape on hoses

If it's broke .... fix it !
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
A customer brought his SUV tire into my freshly waxed and polished showroom the other day. He had a hole in the sidewall you could stick your thumb through and the bead had come off the rim. He leaned the tire against my counter while I showed him some tire prices on my computer. The tire fell over and nasty cum-colored fix-a-flat splashed out and proceeded to eat the wax off my floor.

He had a hole the size of a quarter in his sidewall and he thought fix-a-flat was going to seal it!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
On  a wheelbarrow go to a place that sells boat trailer tubes,pop one in(remove the old stem)air it up and forget-about-it!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
You need a lawyer to sue the shit out of them so the stuff will jump $4 a can in price.
I LOVE BEING ON TOP!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#27]
YOU"RE TELLING ME!!!

Last summer I put some of that green slime into my kids bike tire but it dind't plug the hole. So I put some fix-a-flat into it.  it pumped up and worked fine. I was right proud of myself.

so we're sitting on the porch watching him ride around and he gets off and starts walking towards us and POW!!!!!!  there was this huge pop and a BLIZZARD of green slime.  When it hits the air it goes into these stringy things and my poor kid was covered in it.   The bike tire was shredded and my kid did this little terror dance.  It was great.

so don't mix that stuff with green slime.  it's dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Its best to plug it until you can get a patch done. Just dont ride around with the plug for a long time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Its best to plug it until you can get a patch done. Just dont ride around with the plug for a long time.

Plugs used to be standard procedure for fixing a flat. I have ridden around on plugs for the life of the tire! I dont think tire shops do this anymore, as they worried about lawsuits.,.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top