User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2005 11:34:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Its all in the priorities!

What I love is guys that want Match rifle quality at hunting rifle prices.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If she was not scared to death of someone, she had me fooled. Young lady, late 20s, 5’1”, 115lbs, came in wanting a handgun, NOW.  She said she has shot before and knows how guns work, and she wants a 9mm.
I show her a used Sig, but its too expensive, so she picks the Taurus PT111.
She takes the Taurus, I give her a box of ball ammo and a box of GoldDots.  I also give her a can of pepper gas in hopes it will be all she needs.  She asks about carry laws so I print out a copy of the OH CCW emergency permit application. She has already filed the police reports and has a restraining order so she should be approved.
As shes getting ready to leave, she asks about transporting. I tell her to put it in the trunk and she’ll be fine. She says there is no trunk in her Hummer. Hummer. I saw it drive in, a real Hummer, not an H2. I show her how to lock it with the included lock and she should be OK.
Now, this woman is scared to death of someone, is driving a Hummer, but is only interested in the absolute cheapest handgun I sell, which she may need to defend her life

What were you expecting....logic?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]

About to run from a controlling man who is rich but keeps tight control over the finances, maybe?

Was this a good-looking, trophy wife type?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#5]
She may have more equity in the pistol than she does in the hummer.

Back when I sold cars, credit apps were very interesting reading.  A big annual income disn't always mean they had more than 20 bucks in their pocket.  But, their worth looked great on paper!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell her she can take it back and I will take care of it. 20 with Hummer not some Gm piece Is my kinda girl
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, according to the guy at the range last Sunday she made a good choice. He had a Taurus that survived a house fire and it still shoots fine, while my Glock 19 is a POS.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Most people can't spot quality in a firearm to save their lives. I have a friend who will spend $12k on a Side by Side shotgun for bird hunting, but still has stock sights and grip safety on his vintage Colt Commander, because he doesn't see the point of spending a few hundred more for some work on it. He's a fighter though, so he'll get by just fine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like a former liberal who just became conservative.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Now that is an oxymoron.

But it would make sense if you stop to think about it. How many people do you know actually own their personal motor vehicles outright? Most of them are own by the bank or leased, and their owners are mortgaged to the hilt. If you see a woman with big breast, do often wonder if they are real or man-made.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen a similiar situation except that the girl used the pistol to cap herself.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The gun will most likely be more than effective for its intended use, and she's better off than before she came into your store.  There's nothing wrong with a Taurus.

Even if it doesn't stand up to 10,000 rounds, she probably will do OK with it.

ETA:  I'd rather sell her a $250 used handgun and $200 of ammo to train with if she's truly in danger.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#14]
You mean Wolf ammo is not match grade ammo?

Quoted:
What I love is guys that want Match rifle quality at hunting rifle prices.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
someone somewhere probably has a domestic violence protection order against him and already has his gun collection confiscated by the police
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If she was not scared to death of someone, she had me fooled. Young lady, late 20s, 5’1”, 115lbs, came in wanting a handgun, NOW.  She said she has shot before and knows how guns work, and she wants a 9mm.
She takes the Taurus, I give her a box of ball ammo and a box of GoldDots.  I also give her a can of pepper gas in hopes it will be all she needs.  She asks about carry laws so I print out a copy of the OH CCW emergency permit application. She has already filed the police reports and has a restraining order so she should be approved.
As shes getting ready to leave, she asks about transporting. I tell her to put it in the trunk and she’ll be fine. She says there is no trunk in her Hummer. Hummer. I saw it drive in, a real Hummer, not an H2. I show her how to lock it with the included lock and she should be OK.
Now, this woman is scared to death of someone, is driving a Hummer, but is only interested in the absolute cheapest handgun I sell, which she may need to defend her life

Was she 4-11, dark skin, dark colored hair, pretty face?

Better not be....

ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, that's an odd coincidence.  I had just told my wife that I quadrupled my life insurance - I can afford it now after winning the lottery last week.  She got this wierd look in her eye, said she was in a hurry to get to her doctor appointment, grabbed my keys and took off in my Hummer.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Man, that's an odd coincidence.  I had just told my wife that I quadrupled my life insurance - I can afford it now after winning the lottery last week.  She got this wierd look in her eye, said she was in a hurry to get to her doctor appointment, grabbed my keys and took off in my Hummer.

Hmm. I just hope if my wife decides to whack me it isn't with a Taurus. That's humiliating for a gun nut.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Did she look like either of these two ?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
She probably figures that after she uses the gun the Police will canfiscate it anyway.
Smart girl, Now for the question!
Was she hot???
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Atleast she can still go into a gun store and walk out with a handgun. If she was living in one of the 10 day wait states she would be in even bigger trouble.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just because she has a hummer doesn't mean she has a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of (or a non maxed out credit card).

+1 and he should have talked her in to a .38 sunbie.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, that's an odd coincidence.  I had just told my wife that I quadrupled my life insurance - I can , grafford it now after winning the lottery last week.  She got this wierd look in her eye, said she was in a hurry to get to her doctor appointmentabbed my keys and took off in my Hummer.

Hmm. I just hope if my wife decides to whack me it isn't with a Taurus. That's humiliating for a gun nut.

It could be worse.

She could use a Lorcin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Atleast she can still go into a gun store and walk out with a handgun. If she was living in one of the 10 day wait states she would be in even bigger trouble.

+1

Most people who drive expensive cars are the cheapest people you'll ever meet, YMMV
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Taurus makes really good firearms. It may not be a uber tactical as a Sig but for home defense purposes it is more than effective.

Remember that we are a unique breed, different than that of the regular cattle that live out there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I think somebody wants his Hummer back.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I show her a used Sig, but its too expensive, so she picks the Taurus PT111.  She takes the Taurus, I give her a box of ball ammo and a box of GoldDots.

She could have done a lot worse.  I picked up a used PT111 a couple of days after I got my CCW.  $200 bucks and it looked like it had been fired maybe 10 times.  Goes boom ~evertime~ I pull the trigger.  No matter what I feed it.

I hoped she dry fired it though... really heavy DAO trigger that takes a little getting used to ....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

so would you hit it, or not?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Again, I'm reminded why I rarley venture into GD.

yes i would
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Most people who drive expensive cars are the cheapest people you'll ever meet, YMMV

You don't get rich by being a free spender........
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
lady, late 20s, 5’1”, 115lbs, .

yes i would

Me too above is all the info i would need
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#35]
That story is something else....

In chatting with my FFL one day, I asked him about any wierd or odd stories he felt comfortable in sharing....cause you KNOW an FFL has to have SOME.

He said the hardest ones to deal with is when he sells a gun to a person and learns they used it on themselves....he said it only happened once but it nearly made him leave the business.  

Being an FFL must have it's ups and downs....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I show her a used Sig, but its too expensive, so she picks the Taurus PT111.  She takes the Taurus, I give her a box of ball ammo and a box of GoldDots.

She could have done a lot worse.  I picked up a used PT111 a couple of days after I got my CCW.  $200 bucks and it looked like it had been fired maybe 10 times.  Goes boom ~evertime~ I pull the trigger.  No matter what I feed it.

I hoped she dry fired it though... really heavy DAO trigger that takes a little getting used to ....

They're not bad pistols. A customer used one to shoot a guy robbing his carry out 3 days after he got his CCW.  
Given the choice I'll take my Glock or 1911, but if it goes bang and you can hit what you're aiming at its all that matters in the end.

Exactly what you said.  I believe that sometimes any gun in the hand of even an untrained person MAY be better than nothing at all.  Of course, we prefer to have the best we can afford and train extensively with them.. but if my untrained wife needs to go into a bad situation where I can't protect her and I can give her a simple sidearm she's never shot before?  You bet I'd arm her before I insist she goes without because she hasn't spent as much time on the range as I have.  It's better than having her fingernails and a screechy voice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That story is something else....

In chatting with my FFL one day, I asked him about any wierd or odd stories he felt comfortable in sharing....cause you KNOW an FFL has to have SOME.

He said the hardest ones to deal with is when he sells a gun to a person and learns they used it on themselves....he said it only happened once but it nearly made him leave the business.  

Being an FFL must have it's ups and downs....

That happened to me twice in the last two years.  An elderly woman purchased a Taurus 850 and ended her life the next day with it.  The other was a 19 year old kid who used a Mossberg 500 on himself.
Neither seemed like the "type" at all. 90% of my walkin business is repeat, and I can easily remember most "first time" customers.  When I heard about it, I remembered each person, but it didnt bother me.

The hard part is deciding on who to sell or not sell to.  When I was 19, I could buy a Chinese SKS and 1K rounds of ammo for under $200.00.  My friends and I had a lot of fun at the range.

What keeps me up at night is the 19 year old kid who comes into my store and wants to buy an SKS and a few boxes of ammo.  
The last time that happened the ATF called for a trace on the rifle a week later

I also have issues with the way some people present themselves, which is why I keep the AKs and SKS in the back now. On the occasion someone comes in that I consider looks/acts a way I dont consider normal enough, I tell them I dont sell AKs or SKSs.

hmm...yeah I could see why you'd do that.  Another thing that ALWAYS unnerves me is seeing young types walk in .....same demographic...."19 year olds"..... punked out, gangbanger dress code...etc etc you know the type.  Anyway, seeing these kids come in picking up the Desert Eagles and holding them sideways....or picking up something even more proportionate like a Glock 19....just makes me uneasy knowing these kids who display such ineptitude will be walking around the same streets that my family uses, wielding tools which they don't have the experience to use....

Alas, they have every right to, as do I.  But some customers present a different 'vibe' than others.  

lol....but then again....you probably roll your eyes when someone like one of US walks in too huh?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#39]
How often to you feel uncomfortable selling a gun?
Once a week?
Less?
More?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:45:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Did she look like either of these two ?

GOD DAMN BITCHES FROM HELL!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#43]
The PT 111 is no slouch. The sig is better if she KNEW how to shoot., but she figures she is only gonna need it for show. Mistake? Maybe...  I am glad you sold the pepper spray too. I hope she has her mind made up if she needs either. Good for you for showing her how to use it too.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
She had plenty of cash with her, and I'm sure the platinum card in her name used to buyt the handgun had more room on it.  She wanted cheap. I offered her a used Baby Eagle for $350.00, which she wanted until she saw the Taurus for $329

You failed to grok the female logic. It was the same thing(both were 9mm pistols). It was new. It was cheaper. It was shinier. It was a bargain. She had to buy that one.

And yes, "Female logic", is an oxymoron.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, that's an odd coincidence.  I had just told my wife that I quadrupled my life insurance - I can , grafford it now after winning the lottery last week.  She got this wierd look in her eye, said she was in a hurry to get to her doctor appointmentabbed my keys and took off in my Hummer.

It could be worse.

She could use a Lorcin.

Beat me to it!

We own a Taurus PT92. Nice gun, very reliable. The only downside is that it weighs more than most of the rifles in the safe.

I carry a Taurus .357 Magnum revolver at our ranch. I dunno the exact model, but the security guard at my bank carries the exact same gun. Ever since I spotted it and asked if it was a Taurus, he's gotten a lot more sociable whenever I come in. In fact, today he let me into the bank even though the lobby was technically closed at that time. Lobby closes at 5:00. I got there at 5:05. He let me in to make a withdrawal and let me back out again.

Moral of the story: Don't knock a Taurus until it blows up on ya.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Probably nothing to worry about. She'll lock it and lose the little key.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Its very rare, only once that I can remember having doubts. If I'm uncomfortable with the sale, I'll run the 4473, and tell the customer he was delayed.  If they dont complain, wait the three days and come back, I'll sell it.   There have been several that I have delayed like this for reasons of my own, and none of them have come back.

Very smart.  And non-confrontational.
No wonder you run such a succesful shop.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
She had plenty of cash with her, and I'm sure the platinum card in her name used to buyt the handgun had more room on it.  She wanted cheap. I offered her a used Baby Eagle for $350.00, which she wanted until she saw the Taurus for $329

Ouch, she should have taken the Baby Eagle(over the sig too), but since she didn't whats the specs on it, frame or slide safety?? Barrel length? Compact? Semi compact? Fullsize? Her loss could be my gain.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#49]
you know, hummers were not that expensive at one time.....now they are outrageous!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How often to you feel uncomfortable selling a gun?
Once a week?
Less?
More?

Its very rare, only once that I can remember having doubts. If I'm uncomfortable with the sale, I'll run the 4473, and tell the customer he was delayed.  If they dont complain, wait the three days and come back, I'll sell it.   There have been several that I have delayed like this for reasons of my own, and none of them have come back.

[homer] Ohhh, but I'm angry now. [/homer]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top