Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 8:18:58 AM EDT
From Atlanta: wsbradio.com/news/0811childmauled.html

Cherokee County Girl Mauled by Rottweiler
(WSB Radio) A Cherokee County girl is recovering following a dog attack that left her with more than 150 stitches.

Police say the rottweiler went after 11 year old Amber Wilkins as the girl was walking down the street, on her way to a friend's house.

When she arrived at the home on Avery Road, the dog broke loose from a rope and attacked her.

"I don't remember how it happened," said Amber, who will be confined to a wheelchair while she recovers from her wounds. "It just ran up and attacked me."

Three men were inside the house at the time, but did nothing to help the girl.

The dog is being quarantined at the Cherokee County Animal Shelter. The dog's owner is in Mexico, but charges will be filed against the dog's caretaker. Police say those charges will include having a loose and unattended animal, attacking a person and having a vicious animal.

While Amber's injuries are serious, the incident could have been a lot worse.

"The plastic surgeon said the cut was only about three centimeters from the main artery that goes to the heart," says Terry McCallister, the girl's stepfather. "It was so close. It could have been fatal."
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

(WSB Radio) A Cherokee County girl is recovering following a dog attack that left her with more than 150 stitches.

Police say the rottweiler went after 11 year old Amber Wilkins as the girl was walking down the street, on her way to a friend's house.

When she arrived at the home on Avery Road, the dog broke loose from a rope and attacked her.

"I don't remember how it happened," said Amber, who will be confined to a wheelchair while she recovers from her wounds. "It just ran up and attacked me."

The dog is being quarantined at the Cherokee County Animal Shelter. The dog's owner is in Mexico, but charges will be filed against the dog's caretaker. Police say those charges will include having a loose and unattended animal, attacking a person and having a vicious animal.

"The plastic surgeon said the cut was only about three centimeters from the main artery that goes to the heart," says Terry McCallister, the girl's stepfather. "It was so close. It could have been fatal."

That sucks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]

"The plastic surgeon said the cut was only about three centimeters from the main artery that goes to the heart,"

I sure hope the surgeon didn't say that as arteries go away from the heart.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
sad
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That sucks!

True, but taken in context with this statement: The dog's owner is in Mexico I think we get a pretty good idea of who they are and even possibly why they did nothing.

I am not sure what else to say. I can't say she is lucky to be alive, because she would had to have been unlucky to have been attacked to begin with. I want to say she is alive because He was watching out for her, but..........................

I am just pissed it happened at all.

One word: AVOIDABLE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top